Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #227 of 1,468
  I don't know, but dual drivers have been done many times, almost never has it turned out anything close to good.

Mostly agree but I owned the Dharma D1000 for a few months (has an electret tweeter and a normal dynamic driver) that I liked a lot.  Well done and with a pad roll the sound was excellent with very good bass. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #228 of 1,468
I had no idea about this til now, color me excited.
I recently bought Klipsch speakers and have been blown away by the sound, build quality and aesthetics. Also I'll have my first experience of Foster drivers this week, when my Purplehearts show up.

I read most of this thread, though skimmed a little so forgive me if this has been discussed..
I love the magnetic ear pad idea, changing of pads being easy is something missing from most. I remember reading lambskin for stock pads, and looking into material for a second? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the second pair being a hybrid leather/velour blend.

Are the earpads or drivers going to be angled?
I must say that I'm surprised to not see a suspension headband system, but they do not look uncomfortable so far!

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #229 of 1,468

Please be sure to treat the wood properly so we don't end up with cracked pieces due to low humidity in the Southwest! I can assume you will but there have been a few other companies, high end included, that have had issues with this. The woods you have chosen are very stable as is but you still might want to test a few pieces, starting now, in Arizona and Las Vegas.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #233 of 1,468
Sorry I've been on hiatus briefly. Between the travel to Japan followed immediately by Texas this is my first week back in some time. We definitely missed out on CanJam NYC this year as our small team was all overseas during the time. I hope everyone had a great time.

Drivers are recessed and the earpads create the angle. Here's a teaser of the headphone amp:

Again, a rendering but you'll get the idea and of course we'll update this thread as we move forward. First wonky thing in the picture is the XLR connector, this WILL be a female XLR-4, not an XLR-3 like you see in the image. Second thing is this rendering is missing an input label (RCA). You will be able to use digital and RCA inputs.

Features:
• 4-pin XLR Balanced Output
• ¼” Unbalanced Output
• ESS Sabre DAC ES9018K2M
• Dual TPA6120A2 Amplifiers
• XMOS xCORE-AUDIO asynchronous USB up to 384/32bit
• Sampling Rate Indicator (LED)
• Input Selector (Knob)
• Output Switch
• Gain Switch (+10dB)
• DSD Compatibility
• 100-240 VAC switching Power Supply with US/UK/EU/AU plugs included

This thing will rock with both IEMs and power-hungry over-ears. We're also ensuring that it's compatible with iOS devices via Lighting Camera Adapter.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #235 of 1,468
Sorry I've been on hiatus briefly. Between the travel to Japan followed immediately by Texas this is my first week back in some time. We definitely missed out on CanJam NYC this year as our small team was all overseas during the time. I hope everyone had a great time.

Drivers are recessed and the earpads create the angle. Here's a teaser of the headphone amp:

Again, a rendering but you'll get the idea and of course we'll update this thread as we move forward. First wonky thing in the picture is the XLR connector, this WILL be a female XLR-4, not an XLR-3 like you see in the image. Second thing is this rendering is missing an input label (RCA). You will be able to use digital and RCA inputs.

Features:
• 4-pin XLR Balanced Output

• ¼” Unbalanced Output

• ESS Sabre DAC ES9018K2M
• Dual TPA6120A2 Amplifiers

• XMOS xCORE-AUDIO asynchronous USB up to 384/32bit
• Sampling Rate Indicator (LED)

• Input Selector (Knob)

• Output Switch

• Gain Switch (+10dB)

• DSD Compatibility
• 100-240 VAC switching Power Supply with US/UK/EU/AU plugs included

This thing will rock with both IEMs and power-hungry over-ears. We're also ensuring that it's compatible with iOS devices via Lighting Camera Adapter.

Looks absolutely delicious! And those specs!

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #239 of 1,468
Sorry guys, it's been a very busy few weeks preparing for kicking off tooling and getting everyone's input and sign-off. That being said, we're off to the races! The mechanical design of the metal yokes and attachment mechanism proved to be our first challenge, which we overcame without making the headphone look gaudy or having to trade-off looks for reliability. Next was the cost of tooling. With so many die-cast pieces we had to search deep in our list of suppliers for a partner that can provide pieces at not only a good cost but also with the performance we specified. That being said, again we made it through our challenges without having to break our originally promised price of $999.

Here are a few renders from the latest 3D with all mechanical improvements implemented. It's a bit anticlimactic in the sense that the product doesn't look much different than the original concept at CES, and to an industrial design and product development team, this is probably one of the hardest accomplishments.

As you can see, a few things got a work-over. The half-knurling machined fastener on the top grew from 7.95mm to 10mm in diameter (it's also now secured with an allen bolt, making it easy to swap/replace). Next is the headband, we needed a clean look but added cushion, which inevitably made the headband a 2.5mm wider (down from an originally proposed 6mm wider, which was a mechanical achievement all on its own). And last but not least, gone are the LEMO connectors and new are the 3.5mm attachment cables. Pressure-fit, universal, and super easy to make replacement cables for.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #240 of 1,468
Thank you very much for the update, they are still looking just as amazing as ever. Im pleased you ended up going with 3.5mm, especially not deep or locking . It will make making new cables so much easier. More than ever I cant wait to get ears on these. Are you still planning to let some of us preveiw them before the wide launch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back