Klipsch Custom 3
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Spladox

New Head-Fier
i heard about the microphonics issues with the phones but is it that bad??
i plan to get this for normal usage like on bus/train/walking
will the SQ be good for me? i don't like overly bassy iems :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 20
No. The microphonics issues aren't that bad unless it's constantly rubbing against your nylon jacket.  If you like your music to sound very warm, punchy but not overwhelming bass, and prefer more musical versus analytical, it will be fine.  The C3 sound signature is like no other.  I loved it.  It just require more time unraveling the cable and properly storing them to avoid producing cable kinks which is pretty much its achilles heel.  One of the best bang for the buck as they can be purchased new for around $100.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 20

so i guess it'll be ok then cuz i always wear polo tee..
btw do i need an amp to drive it? 
cuz ill most probably use it to play music on my phone :) 
Quote:
No. The microphonics issues aren't that bad unless it's constantly rubbing against your nylon jacket.  If you like your music to sound very warm, punchy but not overwhelming bass, and prefer more musical versus analytical, it will be fine.  The C3 sound signature is like no other.  I loved it.  It just require more time unraveling the cable and properly storing them to avoid producing cable kinks which is pretty much its achilles heel.  One of the best bang for the buck as they can be purchased new for around $100.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 20
Nope.  Don't need an amp to drive as its very efficient; although your mileage will vary with an amp.  If your phone is an iPhone, Samung, or Nokia, you should do just fine.  Plus it's one less thing to carry, drop, or lose.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 20
I have a desire HD as well and the SQ on that is total rubbish.. Powering the headphone is not a problem...but if you are concern about SQ then i think you should get a new phone.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 20
custom 3 sounds very nice and is easy to drive , microphonics can be a problem but not so if you use the chin slider to keep the cable tight . For sound quality they compare very well with the likes of my sm3 , tf10 , se530,w3 etc.
L3000.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 20
This is the place to get them new:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Custom-3-In-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-/390260696452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add59a584
Don't worry if they are currently out.  As most likely they'll repost with more in stock a few days later to a week later.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 20
How do you guys avoid the microphonics?

BTW, does EQing up the treble make it more sparkly?  My only gripe is that they lack some of the upper end and I'm wondering if theres anything to fix that (other than upgrading lol)

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Most microphonics can be avoided by wearing IEMs over the ear. Also, EQ doesnt do anything to make the treble more sparkly as its an inherent characteristic in a phone. To much treble EQed would likely make it sibilant.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Microphonics have been long been a big concern for my listening enjoyment as I use IEMs constantly while exercising.  The Custom 3s are the worst IEMs in my collection for microphonics, even though they have a built in over the ear wire guide.  Other than microphonics, they have a very nice sound signature as many others have noted.  Your mileage may vary.  I've wondered if the cable might have had different stiffnesses from assembly lot to assembly lot since many have not found the microphonics to be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back