Klipsch Custom-3 VS Shure SE530
Nov 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 33
for the money I think there are better customs you could be going for. like hear yourself C3

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't klipsh custom a universal fit iem too? Its just the name "custom".

yeh the custom 3 is a universal dual driver IEM.

i havnt listened to the custom 3 but it didnt get a great bit of cover here at head fi and there wasnt many people blown away with it. not only that it is ony dual driver despite what people may think due to the name and some have said the klipsch images are better headphones all round.

so ill stick with my se530 for now, for me theres only one set of universals in the making that can challenge the se530 and triple fi for the top spot, and these are'nt them. (westone 3 anybody)

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 33
I've heard both, and currently own the custom 3. The se530 is clearly the better IEM: it has excellent detail, soundstage, imaging, with a slightly warm signature. With a $200 difference in SRP between them, you'd expect this of course. The 2 year warranty can't be beat as well, compared to only 1 year for klipsch. But the custom 3 also holds it own, it has a darker/warmer sound (which I prefer), while also very capably providing a sparkle to the highs and solid mids. Its soundstage isn't as good as the SE530's though.

In the end, I went for the custom 3's for a variety of reasons: I got them for a low price (only $175), the memory wire helps them stay in place, and the exceptionally lightweight cloth-covered cable. I found that the SE530's modular cable was kind of bulky, as well as large earpieces. But if the SE530 was priced here in my country along the lines of ebay sellers ($250-300), I would be strongly considering it against the custom 3, based on SQ alone. Its current price of $490 locally is just quite ridiculous
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ad Rock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the 530's are still the all-around champ?

If you believe some early reviews, the Westone 3 has taken that title away. I guess we'll see how public opinion changes in the next month or so.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 33
I think someone should compare the westone 3's to klipsch custom 3's too. I dont think anyone thinks shures are the champs if they have listened to westone 3's and triple.fi's. Klipsch Custom 3's shouldn't be in the mix, because we are talking about three's, not twos. But the Shure 310s are crap compared to the custom 3's, and the UE's super 5 pro, are nothing compared to custom 3's, which are better to compare to Custom 3's. Se 530 and UE are glad that Klipsch doesn't have a triple on the market.

The only problem I have with my custom's is the cable. It has cable noise. The new westone 3's aren't supposed to have cable noise.

My Music Resume - I've been in music most of my life. Since I was young, I played the piano then started up with the cello, then the guitar till I hit the bass, and now have been fooling around with FL for fun.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think someone should compare the westone 3's to klipsch custom 3's too. I dont think anyone thinks shures are the champs if they have listened to westone 3's and triple.fi's. Klipsch Custom 3's shouldn't be in the mix, because we are talking about three's, not twos. But the Shure 310s are crap compared to the custom 3's, and the UE's super 5 pro, are nothing compared to custom 3's, which are better to compare to Custom 3's. Se 530 and UE are glad that Klipsch doesn't have a triple on the market.

The only problem I have with my custom's is the cable. It has cable noise. The new westone 3's aren't supposed to have cable noise.

My Music Resume - I've been in music most of my life. Since I was young, I played the piano then started up with the cello, then the guitar till I hit the bass, and now have been fooling around with FL for fun.

well i've owned the triples before, they weren't for me, I currently own both SE530 and W3. for me there are still some things the SE530 does better. the shures are IMO better with rock and live recordings and some acoustic. the SE530 wonderful midrange is a slight win over the W3 midrange and IMO the triples mids literally fade by comparison. so guitar driven music and anything that is heavily reliant on the mids is more involving with SE530. Its my feeling that the W3 is the overall better IEM, but it is not perfect like some would have you believe. It is very temperamental as many people are finding out. its Achilles heal is also its strong point; the transparency and flatter nature and possibly to some extent the short nozzle length mean that when the source has even one weak link (fit, source rip, amping, synergy) the whole combination can fail miserably. I haven't heard the custom 3's; just the fact its called the custom 3 when it isn't a triple driver turns me off. seems just a way to hype something with no substance to back it up. haven't heard much good about it either really; but I wont enter into that because I cant speak from experience. so actually after listening to the SE530 with my newly acquired UM56 custom tips for the last day its my opinion that the SE530 still hold up very well, especially if amped well and fed by a quality signal. I think its a misnomer that the SE530 doesn't improve with proper amplification. I cant see how anyone who has actually experienced this could say otherwise. yes it is sensitive enough to be driven to high volume and good quality by most HP outs; but most weaknesses that can be evident while using unamped will be minimized at the very least. and the shure foamies dont help this IEM in the least. the feeling of overwhelming bass they affect is not there when so much when I use comply and removed altogether with UM56.

these three threes all have their strengths and weaknesses, they are all quality IEM's the presentation is different enough that usually you will like one more overall. for me on average this is the W3, but the SE530 will not be put up for sale any time soon
this is my experience YMMV

I feel no need to state my resume

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 33
I will parrot what qusp stated. The SE530 is great for rock and has a great midrange. They exceeded my expectations easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back