Kindle
Sep 24, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #31 of 52

Quote:
If you're going to be using a Kindle primarily for pdf's, you might want to consider the Kindle DX instead. It handles pdf's better than the regular Kindle due to it's larger size.

Agreed. The newest 6" Kindle does not allow sizing for .pdf files.  You can however convert with Mobipocket. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #32 of 52
I am placing my order for mine in early October. This thing is going to make me get back to reading literature, poetry, and drama which fits my educational and work backgrounds. I can not wait until I receive it. I hope it will not be too long before I receive mine.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #34 of 52
Let me know your opinion about it.

The feature that I like the most about the Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi is the Whispersync technology which allows me to read my e-books on my ASUS laptop and my soon to be Google Android phone (i.e., HTC Incredible).

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #35 of 52

Quote:
Let me know your opinion about it.

The feature that I like the most about the Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi is the Whispersync technology which allows me to read my e-books on my ASUS laptop and my soon to be Google Android phone (i.e., HTC Incredible).

Does whispersync keep your place in the book if you use both your laptop and Kindle to read with?

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #37 of 52
Don't need it for Android, but I guess since I got my wireless to talk with the kindle it syncs that way. Just tried it.
It was a little strange because without the wireless, I could buy on my PC, then Kindle would get the book automaticly when I turn it on. That has to be the 3G I suppose.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #38 of 52
Whatever e-books you purchase from the Amazon Kindle store will be downloaded to your Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi, notebook PC (with the Kindle for PC application), and other devices automatically due to the Whispersync technology that is integrated into your specific Amazon account. If you choose to delete a specific e-book title and you want to re-download it, then you can re-download that title onto your notebook PC, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi, Apple iPad, Google Android smartphone, etc. and Whispersync will allow you to read your e-book from the last page that you were viewing across all devices too. If you read more pages on any particular devices, then Whispersync will update it across all the supported hardware platforms.

This is why the NY Times wrote that the Amazon Kindle pushes its competitors farther back.

Most importantly, the Kindle e-book reader has been thoroughly tested so it does not require nearly as many frequent firmware updates to fix problems as does the Barnes & Noble Nook. It just works and gets out of the way so that you can immerse yourself in the story that you are reading.

I wish that the Kindle was available in its current form when I was a Liberal Arts and English Creative Writing along with Linguistics major years ago. It would have saved me hundreds of dollars in textbook fees and saved me from bachaches from carrying so many books in my backpack.

I decided to buy mine on Black Friday.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #40 of 52

Quote:
I just ordered the 3G-WiFi version for my wife's birthday. I may wind up getting one for myself if I like hers.

So, when I got my hands on the one I got for the wife, I said to myself, "You should have ordered two." Needless to say, I now have one of my own, and absolutely love it. The 3G has come in handy several times, especially for web access when traveling. The web browser is somewhat clunky, but it (mostly) gets the job done. The screen is great, very easy on the eyes. Overall, I consider the Kindle a good purchase, and have recommended it to a number of friends. I also recommend spending the extra $50 and getting the 3G-WiFi version, the 3G makes the Kindle even more useful.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #41 of 52

Quote:
Quote:
I just ordered the 3G-WiFi version for my wife's birthday. I may wind up getting one for myself if I like hers.

So, when I got my hands on the one I got for the wife, I said to myself, "You should have ordered two." Needless to say, I now have one of my own, and absolutely love it. The 3G has come in handy several times, especially for web access when traveling. The web browser is somewhat clunky, but it (mostly) gets the job done. The screen is great, very easy on the eyes. Overall, I consider the Kindle a good purchase, and have recommended it to a number of friends. I also recommend spending the extra $50 and getting the 3G-WiFi version, the 3G makes the Kindle even more useful.

I have an iPad, but I wanted something that was easier to read in the sun.  I was going to wait until Spring to pick one up, but I got jury duty and thought it would be less conspicuous to carry around.  I was going to get the wifi only version, but after reading your post, I thought it made more sense to spend the $50 to get 3G.  The ablity to sync it back to my iPad is a huge selling point.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #42 of 52
I have ordered a nook.  For me it came down to the ability to check ebooks out of libraries via wifi.  In addition to the local library, I joined the Free Library of Philadelphia http://www.freelibrary.org/ ($15-not free for out of state).  The ability to check out a book electronically is fantastic!   

I picked up a refurb wifi only nook at buy.com for $99 delivered.  Best buy has 10 new wifi nooks per store on sale for $99 on Black Friday.

Explorer

PS  If you read a review, verify the date of the review.  The firmware releases have substantially improved the product.  I also wonder if the stores have the 1.4 firmware.  A 1.5 firmware release is scheduled to happen latter this month.

PPS The $99 price point is good enough for me.  I figure if I wait I will end up spending more money on books than the price drop.

PPPS Anyone use the Nook as a source, is it any good?  Hmm, I hear that the player is very basic.  Might have to take the plunge and soft-root the nook.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #43 of 52
I've got the new kindle with 3G+wifi and it's awesome. I had the original Kindle 2, but I couldn't help myself from getting the new one. Especially since it has the case with the integrated slide out light that runs off the kindle battery. Not to mention the screen is better and it's got the forward and backward buttons on both sides of the Kindle.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 52

Quote:
   I've got the new kindle with 3G+wifi and it's awesome.

Mine was delivered when I was home for lunch.  It is pretty cool that they have it preset to attach to your Amazon account automatically.  I did not have a chance to mess with it much, but I plugged it in so it would be completely charged when I got home.  The screen is definitely different from the iPad.  I did not buy the lighted case because I don't think I will be using it all that often inside in dim lighting.  Maybe I will pick one up later if I find that I prefer reading books on it more than the iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back