Kinda dissapointed with SR60. Senn 595 would be better?
Oct 24, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 42
I don't think i like the 595, from all that i read about their sound signature...
frown.gif

Will AKG K601 be a better choice?

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #32 of 42
I listened to the HD555, and didn't like it either. The HD650 impressed me neither. Some people like the Koss KSC75 over the Grado SR60/80 and maybe that's your taste. AKG has an overall bright soundsignature. I had the K141 (600 Ohm version) for a while, but I found them to be fatiguing after half an hour. I think the K601/701 have the same soundsignature compared to old AKG's, but probably have a more smoothened sound, although some find it utterly boring. Just for the record, I listened through my vintage Marantz amp and CDP, and any headphone gets driven beautifully through this setup. I personally don't feel the need to own anything but the Koss KSC75, as it has everything a headphone needs, without creating a faked and hollow soundimage, though some like this feature. If you really want soundstage, get speakers, there's just nothing else. Sure, people may tend to disagree, but sooner or later, they have to face basic facts. And the burn-in is up to you, just like everything else in life. If you agree with me or not, I'm happy anyway.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
I don't think i like the 595, from all that i read about their sound signature...
frown.gif

Will AKG K601 be a better choice?

What is it that you wouldn't like? If you expect the HD595 to be boring, you should expect it more so of the K601...

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #34 of 42
I don't like the Sennheiser signature, aka the dark sound, like you are listening through a wall. I like the grado sound (sr60 anyway), except the lack of any soundstage and maybe a little bit too much highs. But i like the detail and instrument separation. From what i read, the AKG k601 are a little bit more neutral, on the bright side plus soundstage...Am i right?

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
If you really want soundstage, get speakers, there's just nothing else. Sure, people may tend to disagree, but sooner or later, they have to face basic facts.

Strange, as I went the other way. I had decent speakers (ca £1k), but I find much more satisfaction, resolution and intimacy in a pair of £100 headphones (HD580). Soundstage is a small benefit coupled with the loss of 'connection' to the music. Now if only music was mixed for headphones we could have all the 3d and soundstage we want (think binaural)! We have had years of 'produced for radio' but now the world and his aunt have an ipod, so why not 'mixed for headphones'?

You need to some serious speakers to get close to an HD580. You have the problem of two or more drivers and crossover circuitry getting in the way. And that is before you consider the problems inherent in your listening room.

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

I don't like the Sennheiser signature, aka the dark sound, like you are listening through a wall. I like the grado sound (sr60 anyway), except the lack of any soundstage and maybe a little bit too much highs. But i like the detail and instrument separation. From what i read, the AKG k601 are a little bit more neutral, on the bright side plus soundstage...Am i right?

Neutrality is much more subjective than you think. For people like me, Senns (namely HD650, HD595) are spot on for neutrality.

I guess that you'd want a K701. It seems like it has a little brighter treble than the K601.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

I don't like the Sennheiser signature, aka the dark sound, like you are listening through a wall. I like the grado sound (sr60 anyway), ...Am i right?

I just tried an experiment. I put my 580 on my head. Then I put my Sr60 up against the wall of my dining room, I then put my ear against the wall of my lounge. The two sounded nothing alike. I think you are being unkind to the Sennheisers.

I have to say the Sr60 sounds more distant and veiled even without the wall!

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #38 of 42
580 has the senn house sound: dark, warm, distant, mid+bass heavy.
595 is more upfront with a more balanced sound, and would be more capable to be an allrounder.
They also sound less grainy compare to 580 IMO.
Also an amp is required to run the 580s. So I would say get the 595s unless you want to spend the extra $ on an amp too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
I just tried an experiment. I put my 580 on my head. Then I put my Sr60 up against the wall of my dining room, I then put my ear against the wall of my lounge. The two sounded nothing alike. I think you are being unkind to the Sennheisers.

I have to say the Sr60 sounds more distant and veiled even without the wall!

Nice find!
tongue.gif
I'm sure now they have nothing more to say.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #39 of 42
The 595s grow on me more and more. I think they have just the right amount of bass and mids. There's a slight soundstage (not as great as the 580/600/650s, but then that makes them less muffled). With an amp, they really get crisp. I do vote that they're a great all rounder. I've experimented using an equalizer with them, and there's never any clipping....can't say the same about my 580s.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
Bring them back, put another EUR 30 in and buy SR225 up here
tongue.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201408

Then he'll just be even more pissed, because he spent even more money on a sound he doesn't like. The HD595 would be a much better choice for him. However, I think a better choice still would be going for the HD580 and a small amp.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465
How bassy is the senn 595, compared to the sony 7506/ 7509?

If senn is dark, and grado is bright, what is Sony 7506/7509?

The 7506's are quite bright and provide punchy bass. They are a closed design so soundstage definitely suffers, they definitely don't sound dark at all, but quite forward/aggressive. A great headphone for monitoring sessions.

You really need to re-think your source...a soundcard isn't exactly an ideal source, even if its a good soundcard your still going to hear all the noises your pc may create in that environment. I'm actually surprised no one offered any comments regarding the source or the possibility of buying an amp.

My suggestion?

Get a cheap headphone amp to go with the cans. Something portable that sounds good. Maybe a cmoy+grado's may help since cmoys are so inexpensive...unless someone in here can chime in with some recommendations. I would highly recommend a tube amp with the grado's, it'll tame those sharp highs and add some body to the midrange so they don't sound brittle.

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #42 of 42
On my SR60's I found the bass and treble to be very definite, but the Mids are a little lacking (vocals)
Running SR60's on a Headroom Home amp....the soundstage is separated okay, but I state, just okay, not like my Senns...may have to do with the type of earpiece.
I would stick with the Senns.

Senn 600, Cardas cables, Headroom Home, Music Hall CD25.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back