Kinda dissapointed with SR60. Senn 595 would be better?
Oct 11, 2006 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
Two days ago i bought the Grados sr60, from Europe (and here they cost as much as 110 euro...
frown.gif
). These were my second headphones, after some Behringer HPX 2000 (~40 usd value headphones...).
I use them with an Audigy 2 (soon to be replaced with a revo 5.1) and lossless music. I had high hopes for these cans, after reading about them here. But, in reality, they let me down...
frown.gif
They sound just a little bit better than my old headphones. The soundstage is not as big as i hoped for, the highs are a bit too much. The bass level is ok, i'm not a bass head i don't listen to hip-hop or heavy metal.
Don't know, maybe i'm deaf or something or the hype around these cans was too great in my head.
plainface.gif

I wanted to buy some headphones that were a clear improvement over my last headphones.

How are the Sens 595 compared to the SR60? Can someone describe me the differences? Or maybe, better alternatives in this price range?

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 42
Run the Grados in. Plug them into something amped and leave them playing at a medium-to-high volume for a good couple of days.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 42
Why'd you buy Grados if you don't really like sharp highs and want a decent soundstage? According to your post, the HD595s would suit you very well but they cost about 3 times as much. They are an all round can, so they perform at least okay in pretty much all genres. They have a forward presentation without being harsh, tight and accurate bass which goes deep if the recording requires it, and a silky midrange thats great for vocals. Their soundstage is pretty good too.

How did you find the comfort on your SR60s? Personally it irritates me quite a bit, and the HD595s would be a big upgrade in this department if you found the SR60s uncomfortable. Also, the A2ZS is not really a good source, so upgrading that would definitely yield a good increase in SQ.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 42
They are comfortable to me...They are light and don't press on the ears.
Also, i forgot to mention, another thing i don't like about the grados is they are very open, i can hear everything around me, even the click of the mouse. I know that's how it is with open cans (my old Behringer were also opened), but this is too much. The Behringer, despite being open, they offered a little bit more of sound isolation then the grados.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 42
Well for isolation, the HD595s are only slightly better since they are still open cans.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
Hi,
Two days ago i bought the Grados sr60, from Europe (and here they cost as much as 110 euro...
frown.gif
). These were my second headphones, after some Behringer HPX 2000 (~40 usd value headphones...).
I use them with an Audigy 2 (soon to be replaced with a revo 5.1) and lossless music. I had high hopes for these cans, after reading about them here. But, in reality, they let me down...
frown.gif
They sound just a little bit better than my old headphones. The soundstage is not as big as i hoped for, the highs are a bit too much. The bass level is ok, i'm not a bass head i don't listen to hip-hop or heavy metal.
Don't know, maybe i'm deaf or something or the hype around these cans was too great in my head.
plainface.gif

I wanted to buy some headphones that were a clear improvement over my last headphones.

How are the Sens 595 compared to the SR60? Can someone describe me the differences? Or maybe, better alternatives in this price range?

Hello Ghost - Read this: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58157

I am a new owner to Grado SR-60's as well...and yes initially I found them to be extremely bright, etc. However, after only 24 hrs burn-in, I have heard drastic improvement. No there not up to the PX 100's, but that's expected they are not properly burnt in yet.

If you can, give them more time (faq recommends anywhere from 100 to 200 hours), they get better.
biggrin.gif

Sincerely, Snacks

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 42
Bring them back, put another EUR 30 in and buy SR225 up here
tongue.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201408

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
Hi,
frown.gif
frown.gif
plainface.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 42
I dont have the 595, but I would recommend the 580 over the sr60. In the UK we used to sell the HD580 at £99.00. With the SR60 at £79.99 they dont look like the bargain they are made out to be by the US headfier's.

I think the 580 will be a bit more than that now (Senn were talking of discontinuing them then)

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 42
Where did you get impression that SR60 would have good soundstage? All Grados have EXTREMELY compressed soundstage. Instrument separation is top notch, but it is all stuffed in very "small room". They are quite bright at first glance, but your ears get used to them quite fast i believe.

However, if you want soundstage, return the SR60 and get Sennheiser HD595 instead.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 42
Like the OP, I just bought myself some SR-60s (I didn't pay the european list price though).
Maybe that's because I read head-fi with skepticism (it is indeed the land of hype!), but my expectations were exceeded... they're great for foot tapping. I wouldn't recommend them as main phones however: the price sucks, the soundstage is poor, the comfort sucks, and the brightness fatigues. I doubt I'm going to get used to that. Main phones, OTOH, should be serviceable for long listening sessions... for 110 euros, one could probably get a K501! If you want heavy bass, Senns would be a better choice though (if the 595s are anything like the 555s, get yourself 580s instead).

BTW, here are cheap fun phones with decent soundstage for Europeans: Philips SHP805 (warning: built-in EQ, far from neutral)

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 42
I had the sr60 and got sold them for reasons you stated.I bought the hd555 but found it very boring and sold them for the dt990 pro.I found they were also a bit underwhelming and had a chance to sell them so i took it.All this time i kept thinking how exciting the sr60 was so Im going for an ms1 and hopefully not looking back.Ther is just something about that Grado sound and hopefully the ms1 will tame the sr60 harshness.

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
There is just something about that Grado sound and hopefully the ms1 will tame the sr60 harshness.

That worked for me. I found the MS1 much less harsh than SR60 in the high end while retaining the unique Grado sound.

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 42
You might want to try someone's HD595 before buying a pair. I heard Tyll's pair at the meet and they were pretty good, neither Sennheiser-like nor Grado-like. They had quite an interesting sound signature and like I said, my impression was that they were "pretty good", not "great" as I heard from either the H650 or the Grados there. For your particular type of music, though, they might be perfect, so give them a try like I said, but these aren't an impulse-buy kind of phone I think.

Oct 11, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 42
I have sr60, when first time in my head, I'd think "what the heck, where is Powerfull Of Bass/Treble ? "

Longer in my head, usually I got bored with music +-2hours, thinking of sleep, but When use Sr60, I'd thinking about anything else, longer and longer, sleepless, why my music so live ...???

Power of Grado is not in Start/End, but In All the time, that's why Beginner like me, now prefer Grado SR60 than "Boomy" Cheap Headphone.

Now I'm thinking about better source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back