Kinda dissapointed with SR60. Senn 595 would be better?
Oct 11, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 42
Yeah; know what you mean about not thinking of sleep!!

I did a fourteen hour marathon a few weeks back while "re-discovering" my CDs with my MS2i!
smily_headphones1.gif

These things sound great all the time, even on some of my previously un-listened to classical stuff! The only thing that's tiring is my family suggesting I get my head from between my bowls.
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 42
after 40-50 of total playing time, try it again - and start with the cans down and forward on your ears. then slowly slide them back and up on your ears and stop when you hit that "magic spot." both pads and positioning drastically change the sound signature of a Grado!

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Yeah; know what you mean about not thinking of sleep!!

I did a fourteen hour marathon a few weeks back while "re-discovering" my CDs with my MS2i!
smily_headphones1.gif

And with the bowls too??? Ouch... my ears can never stand the sound for long (rings slightly every after every listening session with the MS-2). And to listen to the cans for 14 hours takes something of a strong will (on the ears - outside and inside).

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5

Say, did you know that I have an MS2i? I do. I have an MS2i. Really, for real. I own one pair of MS2i. I listen to music on my MS2i. You shold get an MS2i. MS2i? MS2i.

biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 42
Would the HD595 be better? Most obviously!

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Would the HD595 be better? Most obviously!

*gasp*

A Sennheiser reccomended by Andrea!?

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 42
Yesterday i've listened to some Sennheiser 555. Didn't like them at all. Way too bassy, too dark, with bass going all over the mids and highs. I hope 595 are a major improvement over the 555s...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
Yesterday i've listened to some Sennheiser 555. Didn't like them at all. Way too bassy, too dark, with bass going all over the mids and highs. I hope 595 are a major improvement over the 555s...
rolleyes.gif

Probaply not much, as it still has that standard dark Sennheiser sound.

Your ears have now used to Grado sound MWAHAHAHA theres no turning back!!!
evil_smiley.gif

You should propably try AKG or Beyerdynamics if HD595 end up being dissapointment and you want something in the middleground.

Oct 18, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Hi,
Two days ago i bought the Grados sr60, from Europe (and here they cost as much as 110 euro...
frown.gif
). These were my second headphones, after some Behringer HPX 2000 (~40 usd value headphones...).
I use them with an Audigy 2 (soon to be replaced with a revo 5.1) and lossless music. I had high hopes for these cans, after reading about them here. But, in reality, they let me down...
frown.gif
They sound just a little bit better than my old headphones. The soundstage is not as big as i hoped for, the highs are a bit too much. The bass level is ok, i'm not a bass head i don't listen to hip-hop or heavy metal.
Don't know, maybe i'm deaf or something or the hype around these cans was too great in my head.
plainface.gif

I wanted to buy some headphones that were a clear improvement over my last headphones.

How are the Sens 595 compared to the SR60? Can someone describe me the differences? Or maybe, better alternatives in this price range?

I have tried both(actually SR-80) and didn't like either.
The SR-80 was too bright/sibilant and the HD595 was suffocated.

you seem to be a great candidate for the AKG K-501. Unfortunately they have been discontinued but see if you can buy a used pair or go for the new/used 601 or 701.

Oct 18, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

555 too bassy? Are you sure they weren't 515s? 555/595 don't have that much bass, they have a mids emphasize.

Oct 18, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

I listened to well burned in versions of both for a few hours a while back (and I own the HD595) and my thoughts on the HD555 were much the same as yours. I don't mind strong bass but I agree that it's all over the place on the HD555. To me it's really just a total mess and dull. The HD595s are much improved in this regard, especially with an amp. The bass tightens up substantially and feels much more natural. Having said that, the overall sound signature is similar between the two headphones so if you find the HD555 dark, you will probably find the HD595s similar (To me they are borderline dark).

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #29 of 42
senn 595 is NOT bassy. they have pretty organized audiable but not punchy base. (hd600 seems to overpower bass in classical).
In general senns are brighter than the rest of senns, but not even close to brightness to sr60 (no my knowledge on the sr60 comparison, thats what everyone yells out though xD)

although, unamped, h595 might sound suffocated. they start coming through with the bithead amps.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Probaply not much, as it still has that standard dark Sennheiser sound. Your ears have now used to Grado sound MWAHAHAHA theres no turning back!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Yep....I think he's owned by Grado sound by now. SR60 is good, but I understand when you said that with peaky music like Metal and Hard Rock they may be a wee overwhelming with the highs. For that reason if you still enjoy a Grado, SR225 or MS-1 is the cure. I have never manage to get a grip on Sennheiser sound so I am stuck with Grado/KOSS but I have no complaint on them
biggrin.gif

PS: With time you will trully appreciate the openess of Grado and that superb Instrument Separation - good for crowded music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back