Kid A - Why does everyone love it so much?
Sep 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #91 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, if Kid A and Amnesiac were released as a double album, or the best of both were released in one album, youd have the undisputed (imho) best Radiohead album. Pyramid Song, Knives Out, You and whose Army alongside Everything in Its Right Place, Idioteque and The National Anthem? I'td knock out OK Computer! imho of course

you can't just combine 2 albums like that... Kid A and Amnesiac both have heavy electronic inluences.. but don't flow the same.
and to the person that said Kid A had good tracks and weak tracks, just curious to know which ones you think are weak.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #92 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've managed to combine Radiohead, Boards of Canada and Animal Collective all into one post. RESPECT.

If only you'd stuck DJ Shadow in your sig I'd be worshipping you
tongue_smile.gif

I actually just got vinyl Endtroducing in the mail yesterday, funny that you should mention. He's been one of my favorites for a while...

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #93 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can't just combine 2 albums like that... Kid A and Amnesiac both have heavy electronic inluences.. but don't flow the same.
and to the person that said Kid A had good tracks and weak tracks, just curious to know which ones you think are weak.

Sure
normal_smile .gif
"How to Disappear Completely", "Treefingers", "in Limbo" do nothing special for me. "Motion Picture Soundtrack" is marginal.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #94 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure
normal_smile .gif
"How to Disappear Completely", "Treefingers", "in Limbo" do nothing special for me. "Motion Picture Soundtrack" is marginal.

Treefingers, yes.. lol at the rest.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #95 of 116
Quote:

"Motion Picture Soundtrack" is marginal.

You break my heart, North, you break it right in half.

"Stop sending letters... letters always get burned"

Aching.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #96 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You break my heart, North, you break it right in half.

"Stop sending letters... letters always get burned"

Aching.

Motion Picture Soundtrack is just... Oh god. That song. The things it does to me.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #97 of 116
I give it points for the pump organ(?). But come on, they have SO many other good songs under their belt. Don't get me started on their B-sides...

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #98 of 116
I think once you try looking at Kid A for singles or individual moments, the album is lost on you. Of course the instrumental passages (on Kid A) on their own will never add up to a Karma Police. However taken in the grand scheme of the album they are irreplaceable. To take them out would be as much a mistake as trying to put Karma Police between How to Disappear Completely and Optimistic

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #99 of 116
I understand what you are saying. Their albums are among the best for creating a cohesive journey from start to finish, but some songs derail it for me. Take "Electioneering" on OK Computer.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #100 of 116
Quote:

I understand what you are saying. Their albums are among the best for creating a cohesive journey from start to finish, but some songs derail it for me. Take "Electioneering" on OK Computer.

I'm pretty sure that Ed O'Brien agrees that Electioneering doesn't belong on OK Computer.

Quote:

I think once you try looking at Kid A for singles or individual moments, the album is lost on you. Of course the instrumental passages (on Kid A) on their own will never add up to a Karma Police. However taken in the grand scheme of the album they are irreplaceable. To take them out would be as much a mistake as trying to put Karma Police between How to Disappear Completely and Optimistic

And that is what makes a great album. Kid A isn't just a collection of songs.
I'm compelled to listen to Kid A in its entirety every time. I can't just put on a random track (such as Optimistic or In Limbo) - I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I also often see people bashing on Treefingers, but really, I think Treefingers is the most perfect interlude I've ever encountered. How the hell else could you follow-up How To Disappear Completely?

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #103 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do any of you think this album will be relevant or even talked about ten or twenty years from now?

Kid A isn't disposable. In a few decades time people will talk about Kid A like people discuss Dark Side of the Moon now.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #104 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kid A isn't disposable. In a few decades time people will talk about Kid A like people discuss Dark Side of the Moon now.

perhaps, but it will probably only be the music snobs.

i mean, even my Gramma knows Dark Side of the Moon.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #105 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps, but it will probably only be the music snobs.

i mean, even my Gramma knows Dark Side of the Moon.

But... I assume your Gramma was young at the time of the DSOTM's release? She was probably a fan.

You see my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back