Kid A - Why does everyone love it so much?
Sep 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #61 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that is a mark of a good band. You are always going to aspire towards a sound, but it is your own creativity that takes you somewhere else. Lesser bands can't get past the imitation.

According to Ed, Airbag was meant to be an imitation of DJ Shadow ... didn't turn out quite that way, but I still think it's one of their finest tracks.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #62 of 116
In my opinion, Radiohead has always been more on the eccentric side of "mainstream", at a time when people were tired of the old and were looking forward, they came to the masses. Each release is quite different from the rest and their creativity seems to be what fuels them... after the huge response from OK Computer, I think they simply wanted to push the envelope and move on.

I've seen too many bands who do it right once and then try to feed off those moments again and again to no avail and never take the risk to reach out beyond. At the same time, I've seen even more do something that is just brilliant initially and then never return to expand on or explain further, but rather opt to move so far away that they end up losing what had made them brilliant in the first place...

Now, I'll admit that I have never been a "huge" fan of Radiohead... I did quite enjoy The Bends and OK Computer before Kid A, and I have always respected their interest in expanding the envelop.

I've been a purveyor of experimental and electronic music since the early to mid-nineties and ran a radio show showcasing experimental music for two hours every week for 4 years, so when I first heard about Kid A, well before its release I was very intrigued. I remember when it was first released, how many fans were initially so disappointed, disturbed, and quite frankly p*ssed-off; much like a country fan when they turned the dial to my radio show... out of curiosity, some continued to listen, soaked it all in, and came out the other end with a different and genuine respect/understanding...

As far as influences, I do remember explicitly that they mentioned well before the release that they had bought up the entire Warp Records back catalog and locked themselves in a room. To many this added to the mystery at the time, to me it meant that we were all in for something truly special. Specifically, if you listen to the title track on the album and then Aphex Twin's Richard D James Album the influence is quite obvious. Idioteque, also utilizes the cutup, reassembled, "drill and bass" style beats first introduced by Richard (and friends) with the early versions of the H.A.B. releases, etc... btw, Bjork has always regarded Richard and Warp Records as two of her biggest modern influences and they have collaborated quite extensively.

I guess what I'm trying to purvey with all of this is that experimental music, when done right, creates a truly unique and inspiring experience unlike any other and that these sonic experiences carry over into our everyday lives and leave us wanting more of what we now believe we have been missing. We then tend to worship those who lead us out of our caves; for many this was Radiohead with Kid A...

With the release of Kid A, Radiohead ushered in the masses who already praised their music into a new realm of sonic inquiry and for these efforts, they deserve my gratitude and respect... and that is why I love Kid A so much.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #64 of 116
Kid-A sure was a concept album.
Just look at the maturity of Radiohead and how they've grown and developed new styles of music, whereas many other bands have stayed stagnant.. and to me.. that's boring.

To adrift:
Some albums DO need more time, especially ones that are multi-layered, with intricate song structure and instruments, are difficult to notice at first listen. If you suddenly listen to a new style of music, chances are, you won't like it right away. It happens, but as I'm saying, not likely.

To call Kid-A boring is your opinion, but it is merely obvious that that style of music does not suit you or doesn't appeal to you as much.
Naturally not everyone matures through musical tastes at the same rate, or through the same styles, but I'm sure a bunch of people (like me) were huge fans of a pop/rock album like the bends, and OK computer, which just started to experiment with electronic and heavier mixing/sampling. Then Radiohead came out with Kid A, and everyone was mixed on this new kind of sound. Ah.. Idioteque

Sure there are a bunch of bands that perhaps started similar sounds to Kid A before Radiohead, but come on, look at this transition. Also look at how many bands have utilized similar styles due to the influence of Kid-A.

Pablo Honey -> Bends -> OK computer -> Kid A / Amnesiac -> Hail to the thief -> In Rainbows (which is coming back to their roots in a completely new way).

what growth, this, in addition to creating great music, sets them apart from many bands.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #65 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kid-A sure was a concept album.
Just look at the maturity of Radiohead and how they've grown and developed new styles of music, whereas many other bands have stayed stagnant.. and to me.. that's boring.

To adrift:
Some albums DO need more time, especially ones that are multi-layered, with intricate song structure and instruments, are difficult to notice at first listen. If you suddenly listen to a new style of music, chances are, you won't like it right away. It happens, but as I'm saying, not likely.

To call Kid-A boring is your opinion, but it is merely obvious that that style of music does not suit you or doesn't appeal to you as much.
Naturally not everyone matures through musical tastes at the same rate, or through the same styles, but I'm sure a bunch of people (like me) were huge fans of a pop/rock album like the bends, and OK computer, which just started to experiment with electronic and heavier mixing/sampling. Then Radiohead came out with Kid A, and everyone was mixed on this new kind of sound. Ah.. Idioteque

Sure there are a bunch of bands that perhaps started similar sounds to Kid A before Radiohead, but come on, look at this transition. Also look at how many bands have utilized similar styles due to the influence of Kid-A.

Pablo Honey -> Bends -> OK computer -> Kid A / Amnesiac -> Hail to the thief -> In Rainbows (which is coming back to their roots in a completely new way).

what growth, this, in addition to creating great music, sets them apart from many bands.

No, sorry... Kid A, though an interesting album, and one that I respect... is simply boring to me... I wish it weren't true, but it is. By the way, though I'm sure it isn't, looks like Adam Ant in your avatar, whom I totally dig.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #66 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, though I'm sure it isn't, looks like Adam Ant in your avatar, whom I totally dig.

For shame, sir. That's Jeff Buckley, off the cover of "Grace". Now you've dated yourself.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #67 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For shame, sir. That's Jeff Buckley, off the cover of "Grace". Now you've dated yourself.

I never knew Laurence Fishburne was an audiophile.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #69 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never knew Laurence Fishburne was an audiophile.

Believe it or else…some years ago, Branford Marsalis said the following words to me: "Fishburne hipped me to Radiohead."
popcorn.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #70 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or else…some years ago, Branford Marsalis said the following words to me: "Fishburne hipped me to Radiohead."
popcorn.gif

haha, that's awesome if it's true.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #71 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Ed, Airbag was meant to be an imitation of DJ Shadow ... didn't turn out quite that way, but I still think it's one of their finest tracks.

And "Talk Show Host" was their attempt at the trip-hop style of Portishead. That song is amazing.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #72 of 116
Kid A has some great and not-so-great songs. Same with Amnesiac. Take the best of both and you'd have a killer album.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #74 of 116
Indeed, if Kid A and Amnesiac were released as a double album, or the best of both were released in one album, youd have the undisputed (imho) best Radiohead album. Pyramid Song, Knives Out, You and whose Army alongside Everything in Its Right Place, Idioteque and The National Anthem? I'td knock out OK Computer! imho of course

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #75 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And "Talk Show Host" was their attempt at the trip-hop style of Portishead. That song is amazing.

Talk Show Host is probably one of, if not my favourite, Radiohead track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back