Kid A - Why does everyone love it so much?
Sep 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #106 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... I assume your Gramma was young at the time of the DSOTM's release? She was probably a fan.

You see my point.

I see your point.

My point is, my Gramma was probably in her 50s when it came out and never listened to anything other than big band and polka, but she still knows about DSotM and who it's by.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #107 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do any of you think this album will be relevant or even talked about ten or twenty years from now?

Seeing how its almost been ten years since the release date, yes. Or we could continue to use your Gammy as the benchmark.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #109 of 116
Amongst music snobs, Radiohead is too commercial.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #110 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amongst music snobs, Radiohead is too commercial.

I must agree. You're trying to fool yourself If you think that Kid A is anywhere close to a music snobs liking.
It's like saying LOTR is a snobby film.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #111 of 116
????? Pitchfork has been pegged as "too cool/snobbish" for even its' own self, and everyone is betting on Kid A to be their number one of the decade, and now Kid A is commercial?

Again, I stand by my opinion that Kid A is great, but forgettable for the long haul.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #113 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and still we talk about it ten years later.

Yes, but doesn't that have something to do with it being the end of a decade? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this particular discussion is as much about summing up the period.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #114 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but doesn't that have something to do with it being the end of a decade? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that this particular discussion is as much about summing up the period.

I would also add that people talked about Odelay ceaselessly for about 8-10 years and then it dropped off the face of the earth, comparatively speaking. There are any number of albums from 1996 that I see getting mentioned more frequently now. 10 years is not really enough time for massive generational interest to die down, in my opinion. I'm not passing judgment on Kid A in particular, just talking generally. I think it's a fine album, and I respect that it speaks to some people in a truly profound way. It may well stand the test of time. Not everyone likes Pet Sounds, but its staying power cannot be denied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back