Kicking the habit: The quit smoking support thread
Apr 17, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #31 of 54
ive been quit for about 2 years now after smoking for over a decade. i did it when i got hit with bronchitis or a bad chest cold (is there a difference). anyway i was sick and my lungs just felt terrible. and i couldn't take it anymore. that was it... done.

so go get sick. go to wall mart and lick the handles on the shopping carts.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #32 of 54
I have found from experience that nicotine patches can be cut into smaller pieces to decrease the dosage, despite being told (by those making money from them) that it would effect the "membrane" on the patch. BS IMO. Also you can leave them on for up to about 5 days with dosage gradually tapering off.

Another thing to consider is the type of tobacco used (abused) before ceasing. The tobacco companies treat tobacco with ammonia (freebase) to increase the bodies absorption of nicotine. I don't think that the Dutch company Douwie Egberts, who used to make Drum rolling tobacco, used to freebase their tobacco, but the Drum and the other DE brands have since been sold to British Tobacco. I'd have to assume that the scumbags at BT are now freebasing those brands. Maybe smoking some home grown or whatever before giving up might help.

I'm hopeless. I'm giving up again after taking it again up for the umpteenth time. I smoked (1 pack of full strength a day) for about 2 weeks this time. I find it easy to give up, but hard to resist the urge to bum a fag at times, leading to my subsequent addiction.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is if you have a prescription, or are the legal caretaker of a prescription holder, it is legal.

I dont think he has a prescription.
I think hes talkin street.
He buys it on some corner, rolls it, and smokes it.
Its not government weed, so its illegal.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think he has a prescription.
I think hes talkin street.

Well shoot, son, talk to yo' doctor. May as well get on the right side of this thing.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #35 of 54
i'd been smoking for the past two years. I started in sophomore year of college, and since I'll be graduating in a month, I decided to kick it for good. It was difficult at first, and I've noticed that I substitute in other things. First it was diet sodas, then coffee, then spearmint gum (not the nicotine kind, just regular). I'll stick with the gum as it's not as bad as the other two, but I'll be smoke-free for three weeks this weekend, and it really does feel great. I've pretty much lost the temptation to smoke entirely. Then again, I probably never really smoked more than 3 packs per week, which is a lot less than some people.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #36 of 54
I've been smoking for pretty long. Coming up on 12 years, just shy of half my life. I've recently cut down to about 2 cigs a day, 1 of them being a habitual cig; the one I smoke on the way to the train for work. That has by far been the hardest one to kick.

I was smoke free last week for 5 days, then Friday night drinking came along and I cracked. Weaksauce, I know. And since then, I've been having 2 a day or so (and I'm on the patch).

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #37 of 54
It's been a week and I'm still smoke free! At least I think it's been a week. The days blend in with each other, and if I don't keep up with what the current date is, I lose track of what day it is altogether.

I haven't had any cravings and I haven't lost my mind, nerve or cool.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #38 of 54
Smoking related health problems killed my mother. Please stop. Good luck, it is not easy.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #39 of 54
Laxx, I wish you the best. It's ok, you fell down, now pick yourself back up!

A question to those who quit: Did you cough up phelm after quitting? I find myself to be hacking up a lot in the morning. Is it my body clearing itself of the junk I've been putting into it?

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #40 of 54
My parents both smoked. My mom stopped and I have the deepest respect for that. My dad however started smoking again when they both tried to stop.
The reason my mom succeeded is because I think she really wanted to stop. If you really want it, you can stop. Good luck to every head-fier that wants to quit smoking.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laxx, I wish you the best. It's ok, you fell down, now pick yourself back up!

A question to those who quit: Did you cough up phelm after quitting? I find myself to be hacking up a lot in the morning. Is it my body clearing itself of the junk I've been putting into it?

Yes, quite normal. Keep up the good work.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #42 of 54
I've been on an antidepressant called Wellbutrin (buproprion for generic) for almost a year now (for many, many reasons which I won't go into at the moment), and one of the side-effects is drastically reducing nicotine addiction. I was never a heavy smoker, I maybe average like 5 a day, but since I've been on the antidepressant, I've had no cravings whatsoever. I'll still have one every now and then, but now it's a leisure thing instead of a habit.

My psychiatrist told me Wellbutrin is often prescribed as a smoking cessation alone.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #43 of 54
Tomorrow will be two weeks since I've quit. I have not had any cravings or urges to smoke.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #44 of 54
Awesome Zimm and great posts by everyone here. I recently quit for the third and final time after smoking for 13 years, almost half my life, and feel so much better because of it.

To quit finally I used the patch and actually followed the instructions, not smoking at all, and 2 weeks later I'm starting to feel alot better, not coughing up any more of that pleghm that's been in my lungs for years and years.

Although now I think I'm allergic to that stuff they call spring with all its pollen and flowers and stuff, but at least I can smell it now.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #45 of 54
I'm also one of Uncle Sam's rejects as well and today during the semi-annual APFT finally broke into the 14 minute-2 mile time and didn't get any cramping until the last 100 meters or so when usually I'd be feeling it after the first mile.

And although I love Bill Hicks I really do love having my sense of smell back. It's alot like the Moody Blues song Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back