Khadas Tone Board DAC = WOW!
May 30, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #16 of 192
I've been using mine for several months now and I just can't stop recommending it to everyone who needs a DAC. I was using Topping D30 at the moment of purchase and after quick compassion Khadas was a clear winner with more detailed and also more natural sound. Now, I've listened to a lot of DACs this last year and I really think this is a real gem so I decided to put it into a nice aluminum case it deserves, done drilling myself and even hurt my finger. :D

I also made two YT videos about it, first one is your typical review where I described how does it sound to my ears and compared it to my previous favorites (quick hint if you don't want to watch it - Khadas is better then all of them):

And the second one was made when I had the chance to compare it to older but much more expensive Chord Qute HD (which actually sounded a bit better but Khadas had nothing to be ashamed of, especially for the price):

Good job!

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 192
Thought I'd share my custom acrylic case for the Khadas Tone Board. Didn't account for the lengths of the stock standoffs in the design process but to my surprise they actually worked out after a bit of modding! Need to make a few more adjustments to the final product, but hoping to be able to sell this case to anyone who's interested :)

Edit 9/8/2019: Decided to put this project on hold, can't find a source for the standoffs of the right size. However if you're willing to mod your stock standoffs (shaving some of the threads down so short and long standoffs stack) and have M2 screws, I can get the just the acrylic pieces cut and shipped to you!

r2WAjgL.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 192
Thought I'd share my custom acrylic case for the Khadas Tone Board. Didn't account for the lengths of the stock standoffs in the design process but to my surprise they actually worked out after a bit of modding! Need to make a few more adjustments to the final product, but hoping to be able to sell this case to anyone who's interested :)

r2WAjgL.png

Nice job..

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #19 of 192
By any chance, could someone compare it to SMSL IDEA (Sabaj DA2)? This is my solution for laptop but I'd like to upgrade it for something better since its timbre is somehow going towards the lean side.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #20 of 192
By any chance, has someone could compare it to SMSL IDEA (Sabaj DA2)? This is my solution for laptop but I'd like to upgrade it for something better since its timbre is somehow going towards the lean side.
It is much better than the old sabre integrated dac amp the Smsl idea uses.

With the Khadas you will need separate amp so part of the equation will be the amp used. Many people use KTB + JDS Atom

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #21 of 192
By any chance, could someone compare it to SMSL IDEA (Sabaj DA2)? This is my solution for laptop but I'd like to upgrade it for something better since its timbre is somehow going towards the lean side.

IDEA is all about details and clear edges but it lacks true mid-range body and dynamics (many DACs fall into that same trap trying to boost details at any cost). Khadas Tone Board is really not one of them, it's perfectly balanced and natural, giving you all of those same edges and details (actually even more) but backing them with some serious bass and mid-range thickness so vocals and instruments will sound full and more realistic. It also has better dynamics and sound stage than basically anything else at similar price. But as said above, it is a pure DAC and you need to connect it to an amp to get the most out of it. You do get RCA to 3.5mm adapter in the box and you can use it with headphones directly but it will not sound it's best that way (it can sound fine with less demanding headphones but thin and less clean with more demanding ones).

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #22 of 192

Excellent little case that really shows off the components. Very nice. I probably interested based on price. I have a Qutest already, but was going to get a tone board just to fool around with it.
If I were you I'd get an Atom.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #23 of 192

r2WAjgL.png
I would be interested depending on price, please let us know when you are ready. Very nice looking!!

Jun 9, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 192
IDEA is all about details and clear edges but it lacks true mid-range body and dynamics (many DACs fall into that same trap trying to boost details at any cost). Khadas Tone Board is really not one of them, it's perfectly balanced and natural, giving you all of those same edges and details (actually even more) but backing them with some serious bass and mid-range thickness so vocals and instruments will sound full and more realistic. It also has better dynamics and sound stage than basically anything else at similar price. But as said above, it is a pure DAC and you need to connect it to an amp to get the most out of it. You do get RCA to 3.5mm adapter in the box and you can use it with headphones directly but it will not sound it's best that way (it can sound fine with less demanding headphones but thin and less clean with more demanding ones).

Thank you! I just bought it on Aliexpress so I reckon I'll get it probably next month. Btw, which amp are you using? JDS Atom as well?

Jun 9, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #25 of 192
My integrated Cyrus 8vs2 has a dedicated headphone amp of very nice quality so I'm using it. I'm also interested to try JDS Atom but as I'm listening over the speakers for 99% of the time and my integrated has a very decent headphone out already it's not high on my priority list.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 192
My integrated Cyrus 8vs2 has a dedicated headphone amp of very nice quality so I'm using it. I'm also interested to try JDS Atom but as I'm listening over the speakers for 99% of the time and my integrated has a very decent headphone out already it's not high on my priority list.

The Atom is spectacular and very recommended.

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #27 of 192

Really you just answered your own question for using the Cyrus for speakers 99% of the time don't even think about using the atom it's mediocre just like the magni 3 and that's it. Don't get me wrong both are decent as headphone amp but what's the point 99% speakers is what you said.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 192
I swapped the onboard caps from the standard aluminum Panasonic SV to the polymer Os-Con SVPF caps because... why not? Listening impressions later, but so far it's brighter, more detailed, and more aggressive. It's definitely more fatiguing, so I'm hoping for something to change. At least it was good SMD soldering practice :p

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 192
I swapped the onboard caps from the standard aluminum Panasonic SV to the polymer Os-Con SVPF caps because... why not? Listening impressions later, but so far it's brighter, more detailed, and more aggressive. It's definitely more fatiguing, so I'm hoping for something to change. At least it was good SMD soldering practice :p

I did the same and for the same reason :D My impressions were also the same - brighter, more fatiguing... I was quite disappointed. But because I knew polymers need some time to get running properly, I left it working everyday for like a week and it really got better. No harshness or brightness anymore. But I can't really say is it now better then before change or not, I'll have to get my hands on the one that is not modded to compare.

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #30 of 192
Mine keeps disconnecting and has a bit of interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back