Khadas Tone Board DAC = WOW!
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #31 of 192
Mine keeps disconnecting and has a bit of interference.

I had the same problem when connected to my iMAC. When I connected it to my Raspberry pi via Spdif the connection has been rock solid. I have not tested out the USB connection with anything else yet.

I also noticed interference when connected to the iMAC and using sensitive iems but I had the same problem when I connected my Modi 3 so I believe it is just a grounding issue and not necessarily the Toneboard.

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #32 of 192
Mine keeps disconnecting and has a bit of interference.

Too little information. Tried new cable? Stock cable seems to give some people problems with disconnects. Mine disconnect very easily. I'm unsure of what interference you are referring to. Is it in a metal case? USB3 ports can create issues with wireless signals. You can try a 2.0 port if you have. Are you on the latest firmware?

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #33 of 192
I had disconnection problems with factory USB cable too. Noticed that problem is much more pronounced if I was using the front panel of my desktop. Problem occurance frequency decreased connected directly to MB. When I changed the factory cable with a better one, quite cheap but more robust looking, problem was fixed. Actually, disconnection may still happen on a very rare occasion, like once a month or something so it's not a real problem.

Coaxial input was rock solid from the beginning, never had any problem.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #34 of 192
I had disconnection problems with factory USB cable too. Noticed that problem is much more pronounced if I was using the front panel of my desktop. Problem occurance frequency decreased connected directly to MB. When I changed the factory cable with a better one, quite cheap but more robust looking, problem was fixed. Actually, disconnection may still happen on a very rare occasion, like once a month or something so it's not a real problem.

Coaxial input was rock solid from the beginning, never had any problem.

With my friends custom amp it's perfect but when going through the LCX it's a bit noisy if you have nothing playing and turn up the volume. I am also using another cable and it hasn't cut out.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #35 of 192
Too little information. Tried new cable? Stock cable seems to give some people problems with disconnects. Mine disconnect very easily. I'm unsure of what interference you are referring to. Is it in a metal case? USB3 ports can create issues with wireless signals. You can try a 2.0 port if you have. Are you on the latest firmware?

Apologies that was pretty bare, it was with the stock cable and it only appears to have noise issues on the LCX+SDAC, I used it on my workmates custom made map and it is silent. No disconnects with another cable.

I asked the guy who makes the amp I used could he make one the tone board slots into and then fit it in an enclosure so it becomes an all in one. So join the two pcbs and have a combo unit and then the Khadas outputs out the back. I am not sure if those pins allow for audio? but if it did it would be neat.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #36 of 192
I asked the guy who makes the amp I used could he make one the tone board slots into and then fit it in an enclosure so it becomes an all in one. So join the two pcbs and have a combo unit and then the Khadas outputs out the back. I am not sure if those pins allow for audio? but if it did it would be neat.

I thought theses were interesting ideas
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ste...uper-cmoy-wesiontek-khadas-tone-board.891592/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...the-khadas-tone-board.5054/page-5#post-157830

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #37 of 192
The Khadas with my KAD amp is superior to the balanced LCX, so much more detail accross the frequency range.

Funnily KAD sounds like Khadas and a perfect match, it's almost or as good as the THX 788 from memory.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #38 of 192
I ended up on this Anker USB 2.0 cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G114FZ7/) to replace the fiddly stock cable. It's far thinner and more flexible (likely due to having less wires inside) than 3.1 cables. It keeps a solid connection and looks aesthetically like more expensive audio cables. I learned my lesson trying to be too smart with short/thick cable choices that don't work aesthetically with a tiny, lightweight dac.

I also tried powering the Khadas off my Essential phone, but it sounded like clipping was going on, which I assumed was due to a lack of power. With a Wyrd in between, it worked perfectly. I'm not quite sure why the volume was far lower than running it off my computer though. I wonder if Android automatically limits volume similar to a direct headphone connection.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #39 of 192
Steampunk-DAC-HeadAMP_7.png

Thread with more pics

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #43 of 192
What is KAD?

Also , is there much diff btw sdac and khadas?
Yes, never heard of a KAD amplifier. Is it a new product?

A workmate of mine used to work in the audio industry and makes his own amps, 2520 opamps and pre-amps etc in his spare time. It's his own design and he has various versions. He also did a custom 2520 whammy with those 990c+'s and the smaller amp is his latest design. Just need to get an enclosure on it.

Vch5DaV.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back