KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jan 14, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #781 of 834
Not to get too engineering nerd on you guys, but, let me point out that:

1) the KGSSHV Carbon, like all of Kevin Gilmore's recent designs, is fully balanced differential, which is a circuit that has inherently good power supply rejection.
2) also, all the power supplies are regulated, which means it has very good to excellent rejection of AC power line issues.
3) with an all differential design, the power draw is pretty much constant, so the AC line is supplying a steady current draw with practically no variation - with essentially no current variation, there is nothing in the fuse that should change, hence there shouldn't be anything that could get into the power supply.
4) the power fuse is on the AC side of the power supply, so any sonic issues it could possibly cause would have to get through both the regulated power supply and the good power supply rejection of the amp circuit itself.

All of which is to say, the likelihood that the sound of a fuse is detectable is really, really, really low. Personally I think that placebo effect is more likely, but that's just IMHO. Of course, everyone is free to spend their money any way they like.

I agree, and I am using homedepot fuse without any issues :D.

Idk, it I’d kinda crazy to me that people are so different. Someone would try to find the cheapest KG Amp that can be built, and while someone else would be trying to find the most expensive fuse that can be used. Well, I did build my KG Amps with the best components there is, which I did, and I would use Home Depot fuse...which I do

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #783 of 834
I am new to stax and I apologize if my questions are noob, so please bare with me as I am reading conflicting impressions, and I have few questions as well

my set up now is stax 007mk2---stax srm 007TII---chord hugo2

i did not know that there more than one builder of KGSSHV , and wonder what differences are between different builders, also any possibility for someone to provide links of other builders

- I was surprised to read some swear by the carbon with 009, and then some say it was too bright. This is a bit confusing, does the carbon have a bright sound signature

- what would be expected from using the ifi iesl with ifi ican pro with stax 007mk2, ifi claim it can output 730 vrms in that combo, or is that just not advised at all, wonder how that compares to other amps recd here, or compared to my own 007TII

- what about the new amp from stax srm D50, is it only good for Lambda series and would the 007 TII that I have be better than the D50

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #784 of 834
I am new to stax and I apologize if my questions are noob, so please bare with me as I am reading conflicting impressions, and I have few questions as well

i did not know that there more than one builder of KGSSHV , and wonder what differences are between different builders, also any possibility for someone to provide links of other builders

- I was surprised to read some swear by the carbon with 009, and then some say it was too bright. This is a bit confusing, does the carbon have a bright sound signature

- what would be expected from using the ifi iesl with ifi ican pro with stax 007mk2, ifi claim it can output 730 vrms in that combo, or is that just not advised at all, wonder how that compares to other amps recd here, or compared to my own 007TII

- what about the new amp from stax srm D50, is it only good for Lambda series and would the 007 TII that I have be better than the D50

The Carbon is a bit too treble 'hot' for the 009. I wore me down in the end and that was with tubed R2 R DACs. With the 007 it is good. The 007 MK2 after 2017 is much better than the pre 2017 BTW. On different builders, my builder (headinclouds) has now stopped, but I could recommend Kerry. You can find him at the other HP forum for DIY.

The circuit for the KGSShv varies a bit, mainly the CSS and power supply. The later PS circuit is the best one. Avoid the mini KGSShv's, go for the full size circuit, full size chassis and dual CSS boards. Decent pot and you are good to go. Or are you after a Carbon? I tis a bit faster and more alive than the KGSShv, so suits the 007. If you are after the 009s go for the BHSE with NOS tubes or the KGSShv Sanyo version IMO.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #785 of 834
The Carbon is a bit too treble 'hot' for the 009. I wore me down in the end and that was with tubed R2 R DACs. With the 007 it is good. The 007 MK2 after 2017 is much better than the pre 2017 BTW. On different builders, my builder (headinclouds) has now stopped, but I could recommend Kerry. You can find him at the other HP forum for DIY.

The circuit for the KGSShv varies a bit, mainly the CSS and power supply. The later PS circuit is the best one. Avoid the mini KGSShv's, go for the full size circuit, full size chassis and dual CSS boards. Decent pot and you are good to go. Or are you after a Carbon? I tis a bit faster and more alive than the KGSShv, so suits the 007. If you are after the 009s go for the BHSE with NOS tubes or the KGSShv Sanyo version IMO.

thanks for the reply, i like in the future to add 009s to my gear, so is the carbon one bright while the kgsshv non bright.

on another note, i read that fior example the builder of carbon is not for profiting from selling those amps, so are the parts so so expensive , as the prices r up high compared to regular amps used by planar or dynamic hp

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #786 of 834
thanks for the reply, i like in the future to add 009s to my gear, so is the carbon one bright while the kgsshv non bright.
... p

The KGSSHV Carbon is in no way shape or form a bright or "treble hot" amplifier - it is just an incredibly neutral amp and does not cut out at the higher frequencies. The original KGSSHV is a smidge less neutral. I find the 007 is best with the Carbon but still amazing with the KGSSHV (not considering other electrostatic amps like the T2). The 009 has a bit of sparkle to it that, depending on the source material, will make it seem a bit bright at high frequencies. This does not work for some people, especially those looking for a warmer sound. Indeed, some people have suggested the BHSE to be "brighter" than the original KGSSHV (I have never heard a BHSE, so cannot say). If you want some good advice on this, I would suggest you drop @purk or @mulveling a PM.

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #787 of 834
The KGSSHV Carbon is in no way shape or form a bright or "treble hot" amplifier - it is just an incredibly neutral amp and does not cut out at the higher frequencies. The original KGSSHV is a smidge less neutral. I find the 007 is best with the Carbon but still amazing with the KGSSHV (not considering other electrostatic amps like the T2). The 009 has a bit of sparkle to it that, depending on the source material, will make it seem a bit bright at high frequencies. This does not work for some people, especially those looking for a warmer sound. Indeed, some people have suggested the BHSE to be "brighter" than the original KGSSHV (I have never heard a BHSE, so cannot say). If you want some good advice on this, I would suggest you drop @purk or @mulveling a PM.
I said it is a bit too treble hot for the 009, which it is. And many say as much, even the Stax mafia. Think you are in the minority. The BHSE is also a bit treble hot on the 009 but calmer with NOS tubes. So my advice is the same. YMMV as that is this hobby. Indeed, PM lurk or Mulveling, good idea. Both sold their Carbons....

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #788 of 834
I said it is a bit too treble hot for the 009, which it is. And many say as much, even the Stax mafia. Think you are in the minority. The BHSE is also a bit treble hot on the 009 but calmer with NOS tubes. So my advice is the same. YMMV as that is this hobby. Indeed, PM lurk or Mulveling, good idea. Both sold their Carbons....

Some people like amps that cut out a bit in the treble, and watching your progression over the years, it would seem you do as well - and that is fair. Purk and Mulveling both have the T2, and also sold their BHSEs. I still have a Carbon along with my T2.

Apr 6, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #790 of 834
I'm happy slumming with my Birgir Carbon and 009S however I am always thinking. I believe next in the pecking order is the Carbon CC w/Alps however I wonder how much better that is??? After that is the final stop the T2?
Is it still crazy $'ss?

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #791 of 834
Im interested in this conversation, but who is the Stax mafia?

I have 009 and BHSE.

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #792 of 834

I recently asked Headinclouds about the combo 009 + carbon. Here is his answer if this help:

2DB40FB4-C0C4-4C38-9F14-A89660264BE3.png

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #793 of 834
I must say I agree with above comments about Carbon+009 being too fatiguing. I have used in the past a BHSE (with SED =C= tubes), then moved to a Grounded Grid (with JJ 6CA7 tubes) after having listened for a long time to a Carbon (minichassis model). Between the three named amplifiers, I would rate GG the best, with BHSE second but very close, while Carbon is 3rd by a large margin IMHO.
Viceversa, the 009S seems to be a good fit for Carbon, but I don'thave so much experience with this hp to say anything relevant.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #794 of 834
Can you describe the difference between BHSE and GG on the 009? Many thanks.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #795 of 834
they are very close. I have preferred GG for a better bass extension and impact, and for a better smoothness in the highs.
both are incredibly good in the mids.

my GG is a Soren Brix build, with all latest improvement. I use it with an MSB Analog dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back