KG CFA3 headphone amp
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,666 of 1,817
Has anyone already tried the feedback function (marked with a red arrow in the photo)?
Does the setting work the same as on the Zaehl NM1 (Class A/Servo), or something else?

1696154793058.png

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #1,667 of 1,817
I know NOTHING about electronics- but WOW- that thing looks like beautiful... And looks like a serious HUNK!
It is 😁 initial feedback from Dukei, the CFA3P is utterly musical, more so than the CFA3.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,668 of 1,817
It is 😁 initial feedback from Dukei, the CFA3P is utterly musical, more so than the CFA3.
And the approximate price tag of the CFA3P, if one is permitted to ask?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,669 of 1,817
Deleted!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #1,672 of 1,817
I'd love to hear from Dukei himself, as in my conversations with him- in general he is not in favour of hot rodding or overbuilding the CFA-3 as he thinks it makes little difference in his ears. Of course he will build whatever others want- as he wants to make his clients happy and is an absolutely sterling human being;- but my impression is that neither he nor Dr. Gilmore believe these "overbuilds" do to much;--- that is certainly my impression from some PM's with them. Both of them seem to have a conservative approach. Build correctly with quality parts- without going crazy.... Thats how I understand their general tone....

Perhaps I have misunderstood them or perhaps Dukei changed his mind once he heard this latest creation of his. I'd love to hear from him on his perspective of his own CFA-3P vs his on CFA-3 for headphone use only. I consider Dukei one of the most trustworthy voices in this business and his opinion is very valuable to me.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #1,673 of 1,817
I'd love to hear from Dukei himself, as in my conversations with him- in general he is not in favour of hot rodding or overbuilding the CFA-3 as he thinks it makes little difference in his ears. Of course he will build whatever others want- as he wants to make his clients happy and is an absolutely sterling human being;- but my impression is that neither he nor Dr. Gilmore believe these "overbuilds" do to much;--- that is certainly my impression from some PM's with them. Both of them seem to have a conservative approach. Build correctly with quality parts- without going crazy.... Thats how I understand their general tone....

Perhaps I have misunderstood them or perhaps Dukei changed his mind once he heard this latest creation of his. I'd love to hear from him on his perspective of his own CFA-3P vs his on CFA-3 for headphone use only. I consider Dukei one of the most trustworthy voices in this business and his opinion is very valuable to me.
I believe the CFA3P isn't about hot-rodding the CFA3. Dr. Gilmore is adjusting the design so that it can drive speakers (and power hungry planars) more effortlessly. Based on that new design, Dukei added his own design elements and admittedly he went all out and this new CFA3P is a bit beefier than originally intended.

In terms of parts used, I played a part in asking Dukei to use the best parts possible, and he did give his advice which ones are worth it and which ones are not. As an example, I wanted to use AN Kaisei caps throughout the build and it turns out that they're costing so much more. Also, the benefit of using expensive caps are negligible since in this design, the caps are not in the signal path anyway.

The initial tests that he did was using HE6v2 and it's very positive. He said he'll chime in later on this thread as well.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,674 of 1,817
I believe the CFA3P isn't about hot-rodding the CFA3. Dr. Gilmore is adjusting the design so that it can drive speakers (and power hungry planars) more effortlessly. Based on that new design, Dukei added his own design elements and admittedly he went all out and this new CFA3P is a bit beefier than originally intended.

In terms of parts used, I played a part in asking Dukei to use the best parts possible, and he did give his advice which ones are worth it and which ones are not. As an example, I wanted to use AN Kaisei caps throughout the build and it turns out that they're costing so much more. Also, the benefit of using expensive caps are negligible since in this design, the caps are not in the signal path anyway.

The initial tests that he did was using HE6v2 and it's very positive. He said he'll chime in later on this thread as well.
I appreciate these words---- I'll wait for them to chime in- as you say. I'd appreciate some commentary specifically about "tone" as I am concerned more power means a "brighter" sound sometimes- and I like things darker.........

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,675 of 1,817
I appreciate these words---- I'll wait for them to chime in- as you say. I'd appreciate some commentary specifically about "tone" as I am concerned more power means a "brighter" sound sometimes- and I like things darker.........
In my experience, especially with Susvara, more power doesn't equate brighter sound, on the contrary, it becomes fuller sounding (i.e. bass quality and quantity is enhanced) and therefore it's perceived as less bright.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,676 of 1,817
@normie610 , Do you have the dimentions of the Amp. and PS? I need to see if I have room for one in my cabinet?
I'd have to dig my conversations with Dukei, but if I'm not mistaken the width is 35cm and 23/24cm for the PSU.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,677 of 1,817
And the approximate price tag of the CFA3P, if one is permitted to ask?
I think PM'ing Dukei would be the best solution 😁

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,678 of 1,817
In my experience, especially with Susvara, more power doesn't equate brighter sound, on the contrary, it becomes fuller sounding (i.e. bass quality and quantity is enhanced) and therefore it's perceived as less bright.
Agreed. I am not being accurate- as usual. More gain sometimes equals a bit brighter. Not necessairly more power. I see this on my CFA-3. Higher gain brightens up the treble... IMHO..... with my ears in my system...

Oct 3, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,680 of 1,817
Good luck with selling! I would have jumped on it if it was being sold in NA :frowning2:
I may be selling my dukei built CFA3 soon (still love it dearly, but must reshuffle my rack to make necessary room for some new gear en route). Haven’t posted yet, but pinged me if interested (NYC based)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back