Keyboard-Fi
Aug 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #751 of 2,079
Man, i think i made a mistake on which keyboard i bought, I should have bought the KBT pure instead of the KBT race. Maybe I'll try and unload the race, and prob take a hit so i can move it fast.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #752 of 2,079
That's unfortunate. Keep us posted. (pun intended 
tongue.gif
)

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #753 of 2,079
ended up selling the race.... and trying to decide if I want the pure or make the plunge for a hhkb. Ducky YOD also looks good. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #754 of 2,079
I just got a ducky shine with reds and I love it. Really a pretty big step up from the logitech illuminated I've been using for the past three years. Does anyone know if there's a shortcut to permanently enable the FN key? I know on most laptops there's a combination of ctrl+fn+alt or numlock that enables it but I can't seem to get it to stick with the ducky and win7. Supposed I could always auto-hotkey it, but seems like there should be a way just through the windows drivers.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #756 of 2,079
Quote:
I just got a ducky shine with reds and I love it. Really a pretty big step up from the logitech illuminated I've been using for the past three years. Does anyone know if there's a shortcut to permanently enable the FN key? I know on most laptops there's a combination of ctrl+fn+alt or numlock that enables it but I can't seem to get it to stick with the ducky and win7. Supposed I could always auto-hotkey it, but seems like there should be a way just through the windows drivers.

There are a few remapping tools that should let you remap a key, if you want. Otherwise I'd look at a custom key command.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #757 of 2,079
So... I was going to buy a KBT Pure..... and then i bought a ducky YOD. I will prob still end up buying a pure in the future with maybe brown switches so it can be my portable keyboard.... but this ducky YOD is amazing... here are some pics:

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #758 of 2,079
Quote:
LOL after the impromptu purchase of my Razer Blackwidow, I found out that the local tech store has... Filco Majestouch 2!kjalkfjaclahfkdsjfalskdjalksdjf! 
mad.gif

Can you still return it? I would.... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
So... I was going to buy a KBT Pure..... and then i bought a ducky YOD. I will prob still end up buying a pure in the future with maybe brown switches so it can be my portable keyboard.... but this ducky YOD is amazing...

From where were you able to acquire that? 
blink.gif
 Do tell.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #759 of 2,079
www.mechanicalkeyboards.com has all the ducky YOD's instock... they also have KBT pure's. They actually called tigerimports, and they have been a pleasure to deal with.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #760 of 2,079
hmm, now im looking at the Topre capacitive switches, mainly becuase of how awesome the Happy Hacker Keyboard looks...anyone have any experience with one? does it feel more like linear touch(mx reds/blacks) or more like the tactile switches(browns/blues)? im just wondering if anyone has any input on whether they are worth the extreme cost

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #761 of 2,079
They feel like somewhere in between cherry reds and cherry blacks. They are almsot like a non tactile browns. They don't have a clicky sound. many decribe them as a refined rubber dome.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #762 of 2,079
worth it 100% - i'll never go back to a mechanical

Quote:
hmm, now im looking at the Topre capacitive switches, mainly becuase of how awesome the Happy Hacker Keyboard looks...anyone have any experience with one? does it feel more like linear touch(mx reds/blacks) or more like the tactile switches(browns/blues)? im just wondering if anyone has any input on whether they are worth the extreme cost

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #764 of 2,079
Quote:
They feel like somewhere in between cherry reds and cherry blacks. They are almsot like a non tactile browns.

Browns feel like fighting friction of two rusty metal parts touching another once you've tasted the smoothness of the Topre keyswitches. The "feedback" is way better at, well.., giving you actual feedback of your press, than that of the Browns. They're not any related to Blacks or linear. They are related to Reds because of their similar weighting, though a 45 G Realforce (or HHKB) takes even less energy to actuate and type on than a Cherry Reds board, because of the way the "45 G force" comes into play (and you can see it on their respective force diagrams: ) Topre 45 G are 45 G maximum force only at the actuation point and then rapidly decreases to about 30-35 G, on a Cherry Red the actuation happens at 45 G but linearly continues to increase (like any spring really) past that point to 55-60 G once at bottom out.

55 G Realforces are the ones comparable to browns in terms of the force you need to apply; but the feedback remains a lot better on the Topre IMO... it's the one I prefer by a fair margin (and I've tried every major types of switches), and many others feel the same way; but a few also have a very diverging opinion about Topre too (because they do not click or feel as "mechanical", see my following point) and you need to be aware of that before buying one. Some people don't like Topres just like some folks dislike Electrostatics; yes I'm making that parallel, I think Topres are to keyboards what the Stats are to headphones.

"Many describe them as a refined rubber dome."

Yes, I'd agree with that... but not "refined" as in refinements in sound of headphones. It's a night and day difference, and though they do use high quality rubber domes (30 vs. 10 millions key presses) in their construction, they also use ultra-precise springs for capacitive actuation and doesn't not make any contact with the printed circuit board (as opposed to rubber domes); so they differ fundamentally at their core, registering principle. I suggest you never make the mistake of calling Topre's a rubber dome, not only it's an insult but you would regret it as soon as you would touch a Realforce, realizing they are miles ahead and better in every way... many people see them as the pinnacle of the keyboard experience.

Finally Topre keyboards overall built quality--as far as a metal plate, circuits, controller, plastic encasing and keycaps go-- tops even the Filco Majestouch. If you want a tank of a keyboard, it's a Realforce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back