Keyboard-Fi
Jul 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #721 of 2,079
any "budget" keyboard recommendation that can push 7 buttons at once? oh yeah, it has to be illuminated too, the thinner the keyboard, the better as well. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #723 of 2,079
Things I learned today: You can set a keyboard shortcut for monitor brightness in System Preferences under Keyboard. Can't do one for volume, though. Though, that one isn't really a concern as I never change my volume via the OS when I'm at my desk and if I'm not at my desk I'll still have a wireless keyboard.

I did a little more research on my own about the differences between blue and brown switches and which was better for gaming. It came down to which kind of game you wanted to play but for anything FPS/action the word is that Brown is significantly better. That and the only time people have issues with browns is because of less tactile feedback vs something like a blue. That isn't a concern for me. So brown is decided and I can skip the media keys as most of this I can do directly through the OS via custom shortcuts or with third-party applications.

The question now becomes do I get a Leopold or a Filco... I shall let you guys know which I get!

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #724 of 2,079
Quote:

The question now becomes do I get a Leopold or a Filco... I shall let you guys know which I get!

Well leopolds are the new hotness, and theres something about the springs in the filcos that the leopolds dont do, you can see demos of this on youtube.

But regardless of which you pick your in for a treat with an awesome machanical keyboard

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #726 of 2,079
Quote:

Leopold and Filco use different stabilizers on the larger keys (shift etc) that feel different. The Cherry stabilizers used by Leopold make the key press a little stiffer, the Costar stabilizers on Filco boards don't really affect the feeling of the switch. The Filco also supposedly has better feet with more resistance to sliding, but I've personally never had an issue with the feet on my Leopold sliding. All that it really comes down to is whether you want to pay 50% more for smoother stabilizers.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #728 of 2,079
Quote:
Things I learned today: You can set a keyboard shortcut for monitor brightness in System Preferences under Keyboard. Can't do one for volume, though. Though, that one isn't really a concern as I never change my volume via the OS when I'm at my desk and if I'm not at my desk I'll still have a wireless keyboard.

I did a little more research on my own about the differences between blue and brown switches and which was better for gaming. It came down to which kind of game you wanted to play but for anything FPS/action the word is that Brown is significantly better. That and the only time people have issues with browns is because of less tactile feedback vs something like a blue. That isn't a concern for me. So brown is decided and I can skip the media keys as most of this I can do directly through the OS via custom shortcuts or with third-party applications.

there is no best key for gaming. Its what you prefer. Brown and blue keys are pretty much the same with the exception of the sound they make. I'm curious who gave you your information. most people like blacks and reds for gaming. tactile feedback is for people who touch type, chances are you're going to bottom out the keyboard anyway when you game, which makes the tactile feedback pretty much useless. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #729 of 2,079
Quote:
Leopold and Filco use different stabilizers on the larger keys (shift etc) that feel different. The Cherry stabilizers used by Leopold make the key press a little stiffer, the Costar stabilizers on Filco boards don't really affect the feeling of the switch. The Filco also supposedly has better feet with more resistance to sliding, but I've personally never had an issue with the feet on my Leopold sliding. All that it really comes down to is whether you want to pay 50% more for smoother stabilizers.

It's actually not much more expensive for me. With basic shipping the Leopold is $117. The Filco is $139 including next-day shipping thanks to Amazon Prime. So the difference becomes negligible.

Quote:
there is no best key for gaming. Its what you prefer. Brown and blue keys are pretty much the same with the exception of the sound they make. I'm curious who gave you your information. most people like blacks and reds for gaming. tactile feedback is for people who touch type, chances are you're going to bottom out the keyboard anyway when you game, which makes the tactile feedback pretty much useless. 

Pretty much every article I've read has said blue or brown, depending on preference. The browns are supposedly better because of where the reset is relative to the action point. It allows for faster repeating than the blues, apparently.

Though, I'm also considering this as a general typing keyboard as I do a hefty amount of typing every day, be it code or other things. And from that perspective the brown sounds like the one I'd prefer the most.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #730 of 2,079
Pretty much every article I've read has said blue or brown, depending on preference. The browns are supposedly better because of where the reset is relative to the action point. It allows for faster repeating than the blues, apparently.

Though, I'm also considering this as a general typing keyboard as I do a hefty amount of typing every day, be it code or other things. And from that perspective the brown sounds like the one I'd prefer the most.

I'm using brown switches right now and I really like them so far for bothing gaming and typing (coding/ typing on forums/ other nonsense) I would even say that I like them better than blacks for gaming. Black switches are also a bit too heavy to press while typing in my opinion. The problem some people seem to have when using blue switches for gaming is that they can't double tap very well. (in games like SC2 or what have you) I haven't ever noticed that myself with either blue or brown switches.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #732 of 2,079
Quote:
After doing some reading i think i want to pick up another leopold, but with red switches this time, and maybe tenkeyless as well. But Elite Keyboards is sold out of pretty much every single leopold with red switches :<

Leopold is rolling out a new tenkeyless model with PBT keycaps, EK is probably going to stock that instead of the current model soon. They still have stock of the white unprinted TKL with reds, though.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #733 of 2,079
Quote:
Leopold is rolling out a new tenkeyless model with PBT keycaps, EK is probably going to stock that instead of the current model soon. They still have stock of the white unprinted TKL with reds, though.

Ah, that would explain it. Are PBT keycaps better? i didnt get into all the accesories that can go along with the better keyboards...

yeah i dont want white or unprinted lol im not otaku enough for that -_-

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #734 of 2,079
Quote:
Are PBT keycaps better?

Never was able to figure out how having no characters on your keyboard makes you Otaku...

Anyway, I did some searching and it seems PBT keycaps are supposed to be less-shiny over time than ABS. However, there seems to be a lot of discenting opinion. PBT might also not be as durable. Though, unless you really beat up your keyboards, I can't see how that would really effect longevity. In the end, I doubt you'd notice a massive difference. There was something I found that suggested PBT was easier to recycle than ABS, so that is something to consider.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #735 of 2,079
Quote:

Never was able to figure out how having no characters on your keyboard makes you Otaku...

Anyway, I did some searching and it seems PBT keycaps are supposed to be less-shiny over time than ABS. However, there seems to be a lot of discenting opinion. PBT might also not be as durable. Though, unless you really beat up your keyboards, I can't see how that would really effect longevity. In the end, I doubt you'd notice a massive difference. There was something I found that suggested PBT was easier to recycle than ABS, so that is something to consider.

Hmm, but yeah i did a bunch of reading after someone said that reds/blacks were better for gaming, when everything id read had said that browns and blues were best and that the others were mainly for typists. But then i did some thinking and feeling on my own keyboard, and the "feel" of the keypress isnt that obvious, and i honestly bottom out my keys almost every time when i type, so i decided i ought to try a red.

So thanks for making me look into all that more
beerchug.gif

Edit: plus this way maybe ill take the browns keyboard to work, i cant stand the rubber dome i have there...

Edit 2: as for the otaku thing, i think its mainly jsut that nerds would be the only people to think it was cool to have an unmarked keyboard, like i probably could operate one, but i just wouldnt want to -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back