Keyboard-Fi
Jul 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #691 of 2,079
I know what you mean. New wallet, fountain pens, a strange desire to learn to shave with a straight razor...this forum has got to have been designed with the sole purpose of destroying wallets and imparting its members with more expensive taste in everything!

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #692 of 2,079
Quote:
I would like to know if someone can recommend me a good keyboard for my macbook pro. The keyboard will most likely stay at home. I will only use both the keyboard and mouse for surfing the web, writing emails/blogs so I need one that I can use for a while without having my hands hurt.

I'm actually looking at the Logitech K400 because it looks nice but I don't know how it is with typing. Can anyone recommend me a good wireless keyboard?

Hmm.. In terms of mechanical keyboards, there really aren't that many that are Mac-specific. There are even less that are wireless. I would say that if you're looking for a mechanical keyboard, not that you specified that you were, your best option would be this: http://www.ergogeek.com/xarmor-u9w-2.4-ghz-rf-wireless-mechanical-keyboard.html

It uses the light, tactile brown switches, so it should definitely suit your scenario, if you're planning on typing for long periods of time.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #693 of 2,079
Seeing more and more red switches out there, making me itch wanting to try one out myself. Using Blacks and being happy just makes me wonder how does the Reds feel.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #694 of 2,079
I could use a keyboard recommendation.

Currently I'm using the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and there are things I love about it. Mostly that it's small and it's wireless. OK, not so much mostly as that's what I love about it.

The thing is, I do a lot (LOT) of typing and a considerable amount of gaming. I've heard the benefits of a mechanical keyboard a number of times but I don't have access to one to try. However, I think I'm ready to take the plunge and just buy one to try it out. Worst case scenario I'll just return it, right? Or sell it. Or take it to work and annoy my coworkers with it...

So here's my criteria for a keyboard:

1. Must be Mac-compatible. This doesn't mean Mac-specific keys (though this would be nice) but just that it's plug-and-play friendly with a Mac.
2. Must allow input from more than two keys at a time. This is actually the main reason I'm upgrading. Ever try to crouch, move forward and press the voice button mid-game? Right now I have to choose. Sure, I could change how I have my keys done but this is just one example.
3. As compact as possible. Extra palm-rests aren't required or desired and if it doesn't have a number pad that's a bonus.
4. USB connection. I know this is the majority of wired keyboards but I've seen some that aren't so I figured worth mentioning.

Of course, anything that is gamer-oriented would be nice. I'd like to keep it under $100 but I could go as high as $150 for the perfect keyboard.

Thoughts?

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #696 of 2,079
Quote:
i would say the best mac specific keyboard would be the DAS for mac one, it even has all the function keys

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-for-mac/

That is one that came up in my searching and it does appear to be a very good keyboard. It even has the blue switches which are supposed to be better for gaming. Does anyone have one of these keyboards and can speak to it? Be it as a Mac user or the Windows equivalent model?

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #697 of 2,079
Quote:

That is one that came up in my searching and it does appear to be a very good keyboard. It even has the blue switches which are supposed to be better for gaming. Does anyone have one of these keyboards and can speak to it? Be it as a Mac user or the Windows equivalent model?

i would say that DAS keyboards are better than the rest of the more mainstream mechanical options, such as razer or that ilk. but i dont think they can compete wtih the Filco's or the Leopold's which are more boutique brands that are available. Also i though people reccomend the Browns more for gaming i thought that the blues? i love my leopold though, you just wont get mac specific function keys. the keyboards would still work just fine though.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #698 of 2,079
Mac specific keys isn't really required so much as it'd be nice. The features I use it for are for screen brightness, volume and track control. The tracks I can control via shortcuts. The volume is usually outright bypassed by my DAC but the brightness part I'm not sure if I can bind to a key press. That would be something I'd miss, though I can't say how much.

I'll definitely look at the brands you mentioned.

Right now the Das Keyboard is in the lead, assuming there is a lead to be had but I will admit I was considering one of the Razer mechanical keyboards. So you'd recommend not going that direction?

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #699 of 2,079
I've never heard anyone suggest that the blue switches are ideal for gaming.  I certainly hated it when I tried using mine to play games, though they are quite nice for typing.  I'd stick to browns if I were you

Quote:

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #700 of 2,079
Quote:
Mac specific keys isn't really required so much as it'd be nice. The features I use it for are for screen brightness, volume and track control. The tracks I can control via shortcuts. The volume is usually outright bypassed by my DAC but the brightness part I'm not sure if I can bind to a key press. That would be something I'd miss, though I can't say how much.

Right now the Das Keyboard is in the lead, assuming there is a lead to be had but I will admit I was considering one of the Razer mechanical keyboards. So you'd recommend not going that direction?

i would avoid anything razer except for maybe mice...they dont have the best quality control, whereas my leopold feels like it would survive a atomic blast. its a tank to say the least. My roommate bough the razer with the blue switches and it definitely feels very cheap in comparison. though i am also not a fan of lights/lcds/macro buttons, i like very not flashy keyboards, but i also like very well engineered/built stuff, hence why i love the Leopold :D

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #701 of 2,079

i would avoid anything razer except for maybe mice...they dont have the best quality control, whereas my leopold feels like it would survive a atomic blast. its a tank to say the least. My roommate bough the razer with the blue switches and it definitely feels very cheap in comparison. though i am also not a fan of lights/lcds/macro buttons, i like very not flashy keyboards, but i also like very well engineered/built stuff, hence why i love the Leopold :D

The Razer Blackwidow regular feels cheap. The keys feel extremely plasticky, which is a turn off. The newer Ultimate Blackwidows, and the Blackwidow Stealths feel A LOT better. Obviously not dedicated mechanical keyboard territory, but they're not as bad as the regular Blackwidow.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #702 of 2,079
I'm half-way debating a Leopold right now since, aside from the lack of Mac-keys, it has most of what I want.

If there was a way I could swap out the Windows keys for Mac keys I'd be so happy. I might just buy the flat keys and accept the lack of a visual "command". Or I could become a total boss and just get one of the ninja keyboards. I could almost do that... Almost.

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere to get third-party key caps for these?

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #703 of 2,079
I'm half-way debating a Leopold right now since, aside from the lack of Mac-keys, it has most of what I want.

If there was a way I could swap out the Windows keys for Mac keys I'd be so happy. I might just buy the flat keys and accept the lack of a visual "command". Or I could become a total boss and just get one of the ninja keyboards. I could almost do that... Almost.

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere to get third-party key caps for these?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys

They've got some, but I don't know what the shipping on that will be if you're in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back