Keyboard-Fi
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #707 of 2,077
I can't for the life of me find this combo:
1. Quiet (Doesn't have to be mechanical but if so I'd like Red switches)
2. Shift+W+A/D+Space compliant
3. Blue LED keys (I game at night in the dark to not bother gf)

Closest I could find was a Logitech 920-000914 but apparently Logitech, in their infinite wisdom, decided to disable run jump...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #708 of 2,077
Ooooo... They have ones for Mac. Um... Yeah... So... These will fit a Leopold keyboard, will they?

Now that's a good question. I really don't know to be honest. I do know my cherry board has different caps compared to my filco board. The caps on my cherry board aren't as high as the other ones. Maybe someone else can tell you.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #709 of 2,077
I don't understand what #2 is - is that some kind of obscure key combo that alters some functional characteristics of the board? 

If all you mean by #2 is that the keyboard must be able to handle 4 inputs, you're in luck:  every single USB keyboard can handle an input of at least 6 keys at a time. 

In that case, all you need for quiet is a sh1tty membrane keyboard, and the sky is the limit for blue LEDs.  You could go to Walmart right now and find what you're looking for, probably for $15

Quote:
Closest I could find was a Logitech 920-000914 but apparently Logitech, in their infinite wisdom, decided to disable run jump...

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #710 of 2,077

Quote:

You could get a Ducky Shine keyboard, budget permitting of course.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #712 of 2,077
For those curious, I reached out to the people who make the Leopold keyboard and asked if they made Mac-specific key-caps. They said they did not. However, they mentioned WASDKeyboards.com as a place to check out.

The only thing holding me back at this point is just that there's no return policy. Worried I might not like they keyboard, then what!? I could always resell it, I guess...

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #713 of 2,077

i would say that DAS keyboards are better than the rest of the more mainstream mechanical options, such as razer or that ilk. but i dont think they can compete wtih the Filco's or the Leopold's which are more boutique brands that are available. Also i though people reccomend the Browns more for gaming i thought that the blues? i love my leopold though, you just wont get mac specific function keys. the keyboards would still work just fine though.

Das keyboards are nice, but the glossy finish is a real put-off. Brown and red switches are definitely a bit more suitable for gaming, because they don't have that extra hump that exists on the blue switch. http://pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Rosewill-Second-Generation-Mechanical-Keyboard-Review-RK-9000-RK-9000BR-RK-90-1 As you can see, with blues, it is more difficult to "hover" and spam a key without letting it completely reset, because the centerpiece has that hump, unlike the other switches.

Seeing more and more red switches out there, making me itch wanting to try one out myself. Using Blacks and being happy just makes me wonder how does the Reds feel.

If you are happy with the black switches, then you must be a heavy/forceful typist. The reds are much, much lighter. I do not know whether they would be suitable for you if you currently prefer blacks. You would have to restrain yourself from bottoming out too much.

Quote:
I don't understand what #2 is - is that some kind of obscure key combo that alters some functional characteristics of the board? 

If all you mean by #2 is that the keyboard must be able to handle 4 inputs, you're in luck:  every single USB keyboard can handle an input of at least 6 keys at a time. 

In that case, all you need for quiet is a sh1tty membrane keyboard, and the sky is the limit for blue LEDs.  You could go to Walmart right now and find what you're looking for, probably for $15

This is not true. The Blackwidow (the original, at least), was only 2KRO + certain modifiers. Razer fail. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
For those curious, I reached out to the people who make the Leopold keyboard and asked if they made Mac-specific key-caps. They said they did not. However, they mentioned WASDKeyboards.com as a place to check out.

The only thing holding me back at this point is just that there's no return policy. Worried I might not like they keyboard, then what!? I could always resell it, I guess...

You may want to try a less expensive keyboard if you're not sure yet, and perhaps purchase from a reseller/retailer that has a solid return policy, Newegg and Amazon being among them. I would recommend you check out the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. It is a decent amount less expensive, unless you really prefer a full-sized keyboard over a tenkeyless. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-QuickFire-Mechanical-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM

^That particular one has blue switches, but it also comes in the brown and red variety, which are usually a bit more expensive. For a full-sized alternative, I would recommend checking out the offerings from Rosewill. There is often a sale on Newegg.

You may also want to consider whether you want one with PCB-mounted, or plate-mounted switches.

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #714 of 2,077
Do you mean to tell me that you can't even use Ctrl+Alt+Del on that keyboard?  I find that suspicious

Quote:
This is not true. The Blackwidow (the original, at least), was only 2KRO + certain modifiers. Razer fail. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #715 of 2,077
You can take a look here to see the results of the testing. You need to scroll down a bit to find the Razer BW entry: http://bit.ly/Mfzsmj Here's one of the sources of results that is linked there: http://bit.ly/PsnA0f I don't think CTRL+ALT+DELETE would have a problem. CTRL and ALT are modifiers. Of course, that isn't exactly a typical gaming combo.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #716 of 2,077
@Nildes: If I'm going Amazon I might as well go with a Filco keyboard since they seem highly regarded. Also, they have Prime! Mmm... Prime...

I just need to figure out how I'm going to control the things I normally handle through media keys.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #717 of 2,077
The camo versions of the filcos actually have an FN button in place of the windows key and media buttons along the F row.  However, the camo pattern is a bit much aesthetically imo.  I find the black to look a lot better in person.  Thats not to say the camo isn't good looking, but it lacks the understated class of the black filcos, just my opinion.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #718 of 2,077
Quote:
The camo versions of the filcos actually have an FN button in place of the windows key and media buttons along the F row.  However, the camo pattern is a bit much aesthetically imo.  I find the black to look a lot better in person.  Thats not to say the camo isn't good looking, but it lacks the understated class of the black filcos, just my opinion.

Yeah, the camo wouldn't exactly work next to my iMac, haha.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #719 of 2,077
Quote:
@Nildes: If I'm going Amazon I might as well go with a Filco keyboard since they seem highly regarded. Also, they have Prime! Mmm... Prime...

I just need to figure out how I'm going to control the things I normally handle through media keys.

I'm not sure which one you are looking at, but it was just my opinion that you might want to consider investing less, until you have a solid grasp on what you like. Also, not that I don't like a good Filco myself, you need to consider that there are other companies out there that have similar product reliability and QC. I wouldn't simply buy into the brand. At least it's Filco, instead of Razer. 
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #720 of 2,077
Quote:
I'm not sure which one you are looking at, but it was just my opinion that you might want to consider investing less, until you have a solid grasp on what you like. Also, not that I don't like a good Filco myself, you need to consider that there are other companies out there that have similar product reliability and QC. I wouldn't simply buy into the brand. At least it's Filco, instead of Razer. 
tongue.gif

It's more that it's a well-respected product on Amazon and I have Prime, haha. Which means if I don't like it I can send it back. I'm not buying it just yet but I am considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back