Keyboard-Fi
Jul 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #678 of 2,079
I would like to know if someone can recommend me a good keyboard for my macbook pro. The keyboard will most likely stay at home. I will only use both the keyboard and mouse for surfing the web, writing emails/blogs so I need one that I can use for a while without having my hands hurt.

I'm actually looking at the Logitech K400 because it looks nice but I don't know how it is with typing. Can anyone recommend me a good wireless keyboard?

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #679 of 2,079
Quote:

Loving my new filco 
cool.gif

Very nice!  I have the same setup with a tenkeyless mx black (not a ninja however).  Filcos are definitely the best boards I've tried, and I have a tenkeyless mx blue on the way now as well.  The filco palmrest also has to be the nicest I've ever seen/used... certainly worth the 60 dollars.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #680 of 2,079
Sorry if this question has been answered earlier in the thread but I didn't feel like going through the 46 preceding pages

What do you guys think of this keyboard :

http://matias.ca/dvorak/

I've always wanted to try dvorak out so this one may be the ticket..

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #681 of 2,079
Sorry if this question has been answered earlier in the thread but I didn't feel like going through the 46 preceding pages

What do you guys think of this keyboard :

http://matias.ca/dvorak/

I've always wanted to try dvorak out so this one may be the ticket..

Well, I've tried dvorak before and let's face it. It's pretty darn inconvenient to say the least. Dvorak never thought about using ctrl+c etc. So you would have to rebind a lot of things in order to be able to use them. An alternative to dvorak is colemak. (which is what I'm using right now) It keeps the zxcvb keys in the same spot. The drawback to this layout is that it isn't supported out of the box on windows. Most linux distros work reasonably well with it though. Both layouts have the problem that when you're trying to play a game you'll likely have to rebind your keys in order to be able to play. WASD doesn't exactly work with both dvorak and colemak for instance.

If you want to try dvorak or colemak you can just do it with the keyboard you have right now. Just switch it in the keyboard config. There is no real need to switch the keys, because you aren't looking at them anyway. Right? :wink:

Assuming you do still look at the keys every once in a while I can recommend trying to learn to touch type if you've got the time for it. Whether you learn touch typing for qwerty or another layout, it's worth it if you use a computer a lot. Do also note that if you're pretty good at typing on a qwerty keyboard it might take you quite a while to attain the same speeds on another layout. I'd say that it takes at least a month.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #682 of 2,079
Quote:
Well, I've tried dvorak before and let's face it. It's pretty darn inconvenient to say the least. Dvorak never thought about using ctrl+c etc. So you would have to rebind a lot of things in order to be able to use them. An alternative to dvorak is colemak. (which is what I'm using right now) It keeps the zxcvb keys in the same spot. The drawback to this layout is that it isn't supported out of the box on windows. Most linux distros work reasonably well with it though. Both layouts have the problem that when you're trying to play a game you'll likely have to rebind your keys in order to be able to play. WASD doesn't exactly work with both dvorak and colemak for instance.
If you want to try dvorak or colemak you can just do it with the keyboard you have right now. Just switch it in the keyboard config. There is no real need to switch the keys, because you aren't looking at them anyway. Right?
wink.gif

Assuming you do still look at the keys every once in a while I can recommend trying to learn to touch type if you've got the time for it. Whether you learn touch typing for qwerty or another layout, it's worth it if you use a computer a lot. Do also note that if you're pretty good at typing on a qwerty keyboard it might take you quite a while to attain the same speeds on another layout. I'd say that it takes at least a month.

Thanks EnOYiN.

I just downloaded colemak's layout and another one called "workman". Will try both today, I'll keep you posted. many thanks.

CCC

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #683 of 2,079
Thanks EnOYiN.

I just downloaded colemak's layout and another one called "workman". Will try both today, I'll keep you posted. many thanks.

CCC

No problem. I would recommend geekhack.org for more info, but it has been down very frequently and when it's up it has been riddled with malware and such. So, if you decide to check out their forums be sure to use something like noscript. When it's up geekhack is a really good source for information on anything keyboard related. Just beware of the risks involved in going there at this moment in time.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #685 of 2,079
Quote:
No problem. I would recommend geekhack.org for more info, but it has been down very frequently and when it's up it has been riddled with malware and such. So, if you decide to check out their forums be sure to use something like noscript. When it's up geekhack is a really good source for information on anything keyboard related. Just beware of the risks involved in going there at this moment in time.

I would avoid geekhack. Some hacking groups are after their domain name, so they're going to constantly be under attack, and you never know when you might go there and get infected. I recommend deskthority.net instead.

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #686 of 2,079
Quote:
I would avoid geekhack. Some hacking groups are after their domain name, so they're going to constantly be under attack, and you never know when you might go there and get infected. I recommend deskthority.net instead.

Its too bad about the problems geekhack is having, it was by far the best source for keyboard info.  At least deskthority seems to have the same userbase though, so theres hope!

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #689 of 2,079
Thanks to Emptytalk, i'm hooked. The wasd keyboard I got from him is blowing me away, both appearance, construction and most importantly typing feel

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #690 of 2,079
^ Glad you like it.  Man, I don't post anything about headphones anymore.  I just write about keyboards, knives, and flashlights these days.  Is there a third-wave coffee thread anywhere around here?  I'd probably get sucked into that thread, too.  Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back