Keyboard-Fi
Jul 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #436 of 2,079

Quote:
I'm just going to drop my two cents in here:

1. Given the accumulated amount of time your fingers touch a keyboard, the amount of transference is negligible.

2. Many of these plastics that are toxic, are toxic in drastically high amounts, more than the average human will ever come in contact with. Bonus points for most not being the sort of persistent compounds, like lead, that once in your system never leave.

3. Not all plastic is toxic and not all to the same degree.

Thank you for basically making the points that I couldn't make so bluntly.

@Wizard

The amount of particles you're getting is dismal, and ABS isn't nearly that bad (as in, any amount of toxicity in it is largely questioned).  Worrying about your keyboard seems like a waste of time when as you said, your piping is plastic all over the place.  The good thing about PVC is that it's pretty much inert unless it's on fire, which then it releases toxic fumes (double edged sword of its fire resistance).  These fumes do break down, but can be quite deadly till they do (as in you're not worrying about cancer, more insta-death).

In regards to BPA, it was found that mostly premature babies that were exposed to it 24/7 developed problems as they couldn't properly dilute and rid themselves of it with fully functioning livers and kidneys.  There was also problems with those being exposed to it in large amount while in the womb.  However, the companies feared backlash and kicked away from it when used in things that are most likely to give the highest dosage.  Governments are also taking initiative regarding it when used in products that would be most likely to harm children in the womb and premature ones.

I really don't know what more you expect us to say except that your keyboard probably isn't going to give you cancer.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #437 of 2,079
Forget it, wrong place to post, once again. I was just still taking in that documentary, and the keyboard I had in front of me was merely a symptom of our petrochemical environment, but indeed not necessarily its worst. I should have created a separate thread, I've hijacked this one enough. Thanks for the Datamancer link though; could come in useful.

But you might want to reconsider
  • the inertness of PVC. I've read scientific reports worried about the water systems, from rainwater recuperation to household piping, and numerous industrial uses of PVC, not to mention the waste...
  • that those endocrine disruptive chemical are not only toxic in drastically high amounts, but from low levels too.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #438 of 2,079
My favorite switch type would be the IBM buckling spring with Cherry MX Clears in second; in spite of that, I'm using a DSI Modular Mac with Cherry MX Blues as my main keyboard, since Blues are probably the third best I can get for all-around use (gaming and typing, but I hate linear switches even for the former, only tolerating them if they're really short-throw like Japanese arcade pushbuttons). I'll probably mod it with Clears some day (you can't buy them like that new, just Blues or Browns; then again, you can't buy ANY board new with Clears if it isn't a Deck Legend Tactile), and if I can find someone who will make more durable double-shot keycaps specifically for the DSIMM that will retain their texture longer...

That said, I've still got a couple of IBM Model Ms, a "black" Dell AT101W I scored very recently (haven't pulled a keycap to examine exactly what ALPS switches are used yet), and two BTC-5339s I'm not particularly fond of (cheap-feeling keycaps, keys feel way too linear, and the Enter key is oversized), but are NKRO-capable (my only boards with full NKRO, actually; the DSIMM would be if it wasn't USB only) to back me up. (And a Logitech G15v1 that gets neglected because it's a rubber dome board.)

Depending on whether or not I want to buy more input devices or save up for better headphones, I may get a Cherry point-of-sale keyboard confirmed to have Clears, then swap the switches (or the stems and springs, if they're not plate-mounted) with my DSIMM.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #440 of 2,079
Non-mechanical keyboards feel too mushy in comparison. My old one feels unbelievably dead and hard to press. My newer one that I ditched has a better feel, but it's nothing compared to the Cherry MX Blues.

Going to Hong Kong, and going to shop for keyboards when I get the chance. Only a couple of shops according to Geekhack, but I guess I'll ask my cousins since I have no clue.

I hope I find something good, but a lot of the brands they sell should be pretty obscure. I have no idea what the Cherry G80 serial numbers mean at all. Hoping to find and try Cherry MX Clears. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #441 of 2,079
I'm on the Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Browns. Changed to it from the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate with Cherry MX Blue's which were a little too loud for me and the build quality was iffy.

The Filco is pure awesomeness though.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #442 of 2,079
mmm, I have the option to buy headphones or keyboards (or maybe both). Though I'm leaning towards both, but if I'm going to get the keyboard at all, it's going to be a MX Cherry Red Filco since I found some in Hong Kong. If it's headphones, I'll grab something like the Ultrasone PRO 900.

Honestly, my main gripe is with Blacks since they feel too much like rubber-domes in my opinion, and since Reds are very similar to Blacks, I don't know if I an justify the upgrade. I have no problems with the build quality of the Blackwidow except for the 2KRO, but most versions of the Filco cost around $140, though I can try to get a bargain.

Do you think it's worth it?

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #443 of 2,079
Reds are much lighter than blacks, they're even lighter than browns and blues supposedly.  If you think that blacks feel like rubber domes that might be because they aren't tactile.  I don't think reds are tactile either though.  There are some Chinese mechanical keyboards, I dunno if you can find them there in HK but they're about $60 in China although ~120 on ebay and some models do have cherry mx reds.  I looked at a few in stores and they're quite solid, so you might want to consider those for a cheap upgrade.  

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #444 of 2,079
Definitely not worth it, if you don't like the feel of the linear switches.  The reds are hip because they're rare, not because theyre particularly amazing (if they were, they'd be more common!).  Not really an "upgrade" tbh

Quote:
mmm, I have the option to buy headphones or keyboards (or maybe both). Though I'm leaning towards both, but if I'm going to get the keyboard at all, it's going to be a MX Cherry Red Filco since I found some in Hong Kong. If it's headphones, I'll grab something like the Ultrasone PRO 900.

Honestly, my main gripe is with Blacks since they feel too much like rubber-domes in my opinion, and since Reds are very similar to Blacks, I don't know if I an justify the upgrade. I have no problems with the build quality of the Blackwidow except for the 2KRO, but most versions of the Filco cost around $140, though I can try to get a bargain.

Do you think it's worth it?

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #445 of 2,079
Other than the official Apple keyboard, can anybody recommend a good wireless keyboard, compatible with Mac, for around $50? 

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #446 of 2,079
for those of you who own filco keyboards, especially the tenkeyless version, how is the build quality of the keyboard?? I'm planning to buy one, but after reading that the keycaps are pad printed (which, according to some could wear out quickly)..i'm hesitating now..

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #447 of 2,079
Filco keyboards are top notch quality.  And most people won't wear out keycaps, especially if you're even somewhat careful with them.  I have a cheapy keyboard that was used for 7 years and the keys are fine.  The 5+ year old keyboards at my school that are abused every day are still in alright shape too.  All of these are those keyboards with the keys that look like the letters are stuck on with decals.  You can easily buy replacement keycaps too.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #449 of 2,079
Quote:
Best of the best as far as gaming, G15, or any G series products. Older brother has the top tier keyboard, dont care for it as much, just a fancier screen.

Nope.

Quote:
What do Keyboard-Fi'rs think of the Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard? I'm looking to buy an external keyboard and this one looks pretty juicy. Thoughts?

If I was to buy a logitech board, I'd get the illuminated or wireless illuminated K800 because of the perfect stroke scissor switches.

Quote:
for those of you who own filco keyboards, especially the tenkeyless version, how is the build quality of the keyboard?? I'm planning to buy one, but after reading that the keycaps are pad printed (which, according to some could wear out quickly)..i'm hesitating now..

I have five filcos - the build quality is fine.  The printing on the keys is fine for most, but that's not a build quality issue...and of course the keys will still work even if the printing is worn off.  How quickly you wear them down probably depends on your body chemistry.  I wear the printing off VERY quickly.   I've seen many pictures of people who've had their boards for years, and they've just got shiny keys but the printing is still there.  I usually start wearing the printing off after a couple weeks.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #450 of 2,079
the legends on the das pro s have held up better than i ever expected. dulled but not gone at all. the keys are super shiny though but even my realforce had that happen. i wore off a filco in two weeks, as mentioned though it is my body chemistry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back