Keyboard-Fi
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #421 of 2,079
Love my Steelseries 6GV2, much cheaper than the Filico with the same build quality and the keys I wanted (Cherry MX Black).

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #423 of 2,079

Quote:
I'd suggest looking at Datamancer:

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm

Keyboards made of win . . . and prices made of heart attacks.

I remember someone somewhere said they made their typewriter into a keyboard. :|

Also, people don't like SteelSeries because their layout is very questionable, and Blacks aren't too popular if you want to use the keyboard for more than gaming. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #425 of 2,079
Quote:
Those are awesome!
Now where did I put my defibrulator?

I think the steam-powered android has it... 

Wow...Just wow.  That stuff's amazing.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #426 of 2,079
Indeed.  Imagine my reaction when I immediately recognized the keyboard on Warehouse 13 and where it came from.
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #427 of 2,079
I believe there are some aluminum keyboards that have a slightly more realistic price. Apple and Siig make some, and maybe some others too.  There are also those silicone and cloth keyboards.  Those are the only practical ones I can think of.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #428 of 2,079
It was a serious question. Recent scientific studies have revealed that nearly all plastics leech endocrine disrupting chemicals into our body, inducing effects like cancer, obesity, behaviour problems, and infertility...

I have a bamboo keyboard and mouse, but with plastic keys & scroll button, so I've actually been using my Apple keyboard & Thanko Silent mouse, since they are more comfortable.

But the seriousness of the petrochemical problem has been bugging me for a week now since watching a documentary on this issue. I don't see myself quite renouncing the use of a computer just yet. I'd just given up my mobile phone use, for electromagnetic smog reasons, but it appears the sources of pollution to the living cell are must vaster than what I imaged...

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #429 of 2,079

Quote:
It was a serious question. Recent scientific studies have revealed that nearly all plastics leech endocrine disrupting chemicals into our body, inducing effects like cancer, obesity, behaviour problems, and infertility...

I have a bamboo keyboard and mouse, but with plastic keys & scroll button, so I've actually been using my Apple keyboard & Thanko Silent mouse, since they are more comfortable.

But the seriousness of the petrochemical problem has been bugging me for a week now since watching a documentary on this issue. I don't see myself quite renouncing the use of a computer just yet. I'd just given up my mobile phone use, for electromagnetic smog reasons, but it appears the sources of pollution to the living cell are must vaster than what I imaged...

I'm the type that bets on it being conspiracy theory based diatribe.  It's like those that scream vaccines creates autism when studies have disproved it time and time again.  The reason we're obese isn't because of the plastic in the keyboards, it's the sitting typing at the keyboard while scarfing down three Big Macs, a large Coke, etc.  As for behavior problems, they've always existed, the difference is we're expanding our definitions and symptoms continuously.  This means that those that would have passed for just being slow/stupid/hazy are fitting into disorder classifications.  As for cancer, there's tons of variables making it very hard pointing it to a single cause.  Same with infertility, riding a bike for a certain amount of time or your lap getting hot can help those along the way.

If you think about the numbers, you can die from billions of things a day.  Depriving yourself based on the mumblings of conspiracy theorists about one way you can that they can't prove is silly.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #430 of 2,079
These are serious scientific studies I'm talking about, not mumblings of conspiracy theorists!

And it didn't say it was the reason behind all cancers, obesity or the other problems I mentioned. Sources of those affections are multiple indeed.

But have you even bothered looking up researches done on endocrine disrupting chemicals ? Before disregarding something, and considering a concern as silly, you might want to check it out.

Ana Soto, Shanna Swan, Niels Skakkebaek, Andreas Kortenkamp, Jerrold Heindel, Philippe Grandjean & Linda Birnbaum, to name a few, have some interesting results about the interaction of Bisphenol A, Phthalates, PBDE's & other chemical compounds with our body...

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #431 of 2,079
Quote:
These are serious scientific studies I'm talking about, not mumblings of conspiracy theorists!

Fine, what video are you talking about so I can find the peer reviewed and fully cited studies they're using?

As for the ones you linked to: note most of those refer to ingestion or breathing, and have been pulled off shelves almost entirely.

The stuff used in your keyboard though?  ABS.  While some fear ABS might have health impact it's been in use since the 50's with no evidence of health impact.  ABS pipes has been used in various pipes that carry water in homes since the past 20-30 years.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #432 of 2,079
The documentary La Grande Invasion by Stéphane Horel isn't available outside France yet. However, her eponymous 2008 book might be.

You'd be quite surprised by how many products contain those chemicals around you. From your remote control to the upholstering of your car or the majority of cosmetics. They aren't off the shelves by even a percent.

That something has been in use for a long time doesn't hold proof that something is safe. That there's no evidence yet, doesn't mean there won't be any soon. Those scientists are only in the beginning of their research, and have made tremendous progress in the last few years.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #433 of 2,079

Quote:
The documentary La Grande Invasion by Stéphane Horel isn't available outside France yet. However, her eponymous 2008 book might be.

Since it's a documentary surely you can reference the studies they pulled regarding which plastic chemical products correct?  Did the documentary say anything about ABS, or are they referring just to the sub group you linked?

Quote:
You'd be quite surprised by how many products contain those chemicals around you. From your remote control to the upholstering of your car or the majority of cosmetics. They aren't off the shelves by even a percent.

Read: ingestion or inhalation.  Many BPA products (that would pose harm I should say, like water bottles) got yanked off shelves fast when even the question of whether it was toxic was posed.  I take it you aren't eating your remote are you?

Quote:
That something has been in use for a long time doesn't hold proof that something is safe. That there's no evidence yet, doesn't mean there won't be any soon. Those scientists are only in the beginning of their research, and have made tremendous progress in the last few years.

The toxicity of the plastic mentioned is due to additives to make them more pliable/soft such as PVC (though once again, inhalation and ingestion are concerns like children eating soft plastic toys).  ABS is a hard plastic that doesn't have the additives in question.

Your keyboard keys should be perfectly safe.  In other news, did you check under your sink to see what piping was used?

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #434 of 2,079
I'm just going to drop my two cents in here:

1. Given the accumulated amount of time your fingers touch a keyboard, the amount of transference is negligible.

2. Many of these plastics that are toxic, are toxic in drastically high amounts, more than the average human will ever come in contact with. Bonus points for most not being the sort of persistent compounds, like lead, that once in your system never leave.

3. Not all plastic is toxic and not all to the same degree.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #435 of 2,079
I understood the ingestion & inhalation part. What you underestimate is the dust part, & how not only children insert their fingers in their mouth, even if adults aren't always consciously aware of it.
Plastics do age; are suspect to erosion. Fine particles get absorbed into water, plants, animals & also us humans.

And yes, nearly all of the evacuation piping I know of is PVC. Not good. Without mentioning Teflon on copper piping here and there. Since all water is in a cycle somewhere along the line.

PBDE
http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/PBDEs-They-are-everywhere-they-accumulate-and-1232414.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17711188

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800511

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18589991

BPA
http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola
www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/s428.pdf

Phthalates

N.B. Post in progress. Taking a break.

& I do understand that not all plastics are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back