Keyboard-Fi
Aug 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #166 of 2,079
Quote:
There's some speculation at geekhack about this, I won't post it here. At any rate, I'd probably get one, I could use a Blue Cherry ... for pounding out my thesis in the dark, not gaming. And Razer means I don't have to Taobao a Ducky or specially order a Filco from Japan/Elite Keyboards, just call up my friend at the 'mall... backlighting is a bonus.

I agree. This keyboard will most likely be easy to find, which is a plus for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts looking for something cheap to use somewhere else. For a gaming keyboard, I would rather use something linear.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #167 of 2,079
I was convinced I wanted/needed an illuminated one, which would have limited me to only Deck or this new Razer, however to be honest I hardly ever look at the keyboard when I'm typing (I'm not uber-touch typist though) so do I really need it? Probably not. I think I'm set on a Filco with Cherry Browns, since it seems the best compromise between typing and gaming, however I want both the UK layout and the tenkeyless version so it looks like I'll have to wait till Febuary 2011(!) before Keyboardco.co.uk get any in. Doh.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #168 of 2,079
Good day to you, sirs :)

I have Logitech Cordless Desktop S520 and Apple wired numpadded keyboard. Last one are better to my taste.
Unfortunately those laptop-style keyboards breaks fast if you like good ol' shootin' games :/
My beloved ex Logitech UltraX Cordless Media Desktop keyboard died that way :frowning2:

PS: Piano playing is not an excuse for breaking keyboards. It's all 'bout controlling your strength :wink:
I've played piano for eight years and I can type comfortably on any keyboard.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #169 of 2,079
I hopped around keyboards, used a boring dell for a while, then a microsoft ergonomic(forget exact model, black one with touch volume on the side), logitech g15 rev 1 was pretty good, a razer lycosa (which was garbage), and now I'm using the logitech illuminated. Which is my favourite keyboard so far I have to say. It's quiet, doesn't collect dust much, looks amazing, and the keys are a dream to type on. I used to prefer the deep travel keys but now I can't go back, the keys are awesome, they push down perfectly straight all the time every time. But they have more travel then a laptop, and a tactile feeling to them thats very good feeling.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #170 of 2,079
I've got a Kinesis Advantage.  This keyboard is really stupidly expensive for a keyboard, but it's far cheaper than medical deductables/payments :)  It took me a long while before I could bring myself to pay so much but it's done wonders for all the aches and pains.  I had tried some cheaper ergonomic keyboards but they didn't work out.

I suppose this is what you get after years of typing make every regular keyboard difficult to use.

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #171 of 2,079
http://us.kensington.com/html/4826.html

That's what I'm using. I'm usually not a big fan of Kensington products, but after reading many good things about this one I decided to go for it. I mostly needed a keyboard for DJ Max Trilogy (have to hit multiple keys at once), and this works great. Cheap, solid construction, decent design.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #172 of 2,079
Dell AT101W user here (black complicated Alps). I've ditched my Logitech G15 which was a true pain to type on.

Edit: Fancy pictures

<--MUCH BETTER THAN

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #173 of 2,079

Quote:
I've got a Kinesis Advantage.  This keyboard is really stupidly expensive for a keyboard, but it's far cheaper than medical deductables/payments :)  It took me a long while before I could bring myself to pay so much but it's done wonders for all the aches and pains.  I had tried some cheaper ergonomic keyboards but they didn't work out.

I suppose this is what you get after years of typing make every regular keyboard difficult to use.

Here's an odd question, but what about those that use their left, or left and right thumbs for the space bar?  I imagine it would frustrate the heck out of me . . .

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #174 of 2,079
Quote:
Here's an odd question, but what about those that use their left, or left and right thumbs for the space bar?  I imagine it would frustrate the heck out of me . . .

I used to always use both thumbs for the space bar with a regular keyboard.  With the Kinesis you have to use your right thumb for the space bar and enter.  You use your left thumb for backspace and delete.  Once you get used to it it's hard to go back - especially with the backspace and enter key.  Pressing backspace and enter with your thumb is much nicer than stretching your pinkie finger out.

Your palms (which some people use for the space bar on a regular keyboard) do nothing.

The first week or so is confusing and is frustrating.  I typed on regular keyboards for probably 15+ years before the Kinesis so it did take some time to adjust.  But I can switch between the two types now without issue.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #175 of 2,079
Working on getting a Filco FKBN87M/EB. I've used browns for a few hours and I have mixed feelings of them; the tactile bump feels weird compared to blues. I'll give them a thorough try and if I don't end up liking them enough, I can sell the board for minimal loss.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #177 of 2,079
Scratch that, I used them for a bit longer and I'm really liking them, perhaps even more than the blues. I have my own FKBN87M/EB on the way now.
cool.gif

Quote:
Working on getting a Filco FKBN87M/EB. I've used browns for a few hours and I have mixed feelings of them; the tactile bump feels weird compared to blues. I'll give them a thorough try and if I don't end up liking them enough, I can sell the board for minimal loss.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #178 of 2,079

Quote:
Scratch that, I used them for a bit longer and I'm really liking them, perhaps even more than the blues. I have my own FKBN87M/EB on the way now.
cool.gif

youre going to love it!  thats what I'm using
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back