Keyboard-Fi
Jul 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,246 of 2,079
Quote:
I think the FC660C wants to have a talk with you.

Haha, I've been following that guy too...that may be a better, more cost effective option for trying out Topre.  The build quality on my current FC200 is pretty good so I trust Leopold.  I also think they are the OEM for some of the Japanese Topre manufacturers anyway.  The 87U in white/grey just looks so good and I think for most usage I'd prefer the dedicated function row...but I could always get that keycap set to put on the FC660C 
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,247 of 2,079
Tried an Ergodox with MX Clears today.  The feel is pretty weird.  I don't however find it to be any superior.  Peoples' hands move side to side easier as opposed to up and down (which is why I think the matrix layout isn't as good as a staggered one.) In the end, it is a cool toy, but I'll take my Das.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #1,248 of 2,079
Quote:
Tried an Ergodox with MX Clears today.  The feel is pretty weird.  I don't however find it to be any superior.  Peoples' hands move side to side easier as opposed to up and down (which is why I think the matrix layout isn't as good as a staggered one.) In the end, it is a cool toy, but I'll take my Das.

I imagine the layout would take a lot of getting used to, but it does seem to be one of the better ergonomic designs technically speaking.  Did it have 'ergo-clears' too?  In terms of purely ergonomic designs, I'd say the G80-5000 is still the reigning king - staggered layout is definitely a must in my book.  Alot of R&D went into Dox's design so it must work the best for him at least! 
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,250 of 2,079
Quote:
I think you guys are crazy..

I also think I just need a space saver model M anymore. Blues have been okay, but I miss my buckling springs.

It did get pretty crazy before I settled, but I still have my original Model M that I'll keep forever.  
biggrin.gif
  I'd love to get my hands on a space saver one day though.  Maybe Unicomp will make a tenkeyless - I hope, anyway.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,251 of 2,079
Quote:
It did get pretty crazy before I settled, but I still have my original Model M that I'll keep forever.  
biggrin.gif
  I'd love to get my hands on a space saver one day though.  Maybe Unicomp will make a tenkeyless - I hope, anyway.

My shift and enter keys started sticking on my model M so I gave it to a friend (he asked for it.. and I wasn't using it and could not figure out a way to prevent the stabilizers from sticking).

I would definitely hop on a tenkeyless unicomp. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,252 of 2,079
I'm thinking about getting a new mechanical keyboard. Do you guys have any to recommend with brown switches? 

I'm currently just using the razer black widow with blue switches. (realized how much I didn't like the macro buttons lol)

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,253 of 2,079
So you're looking for something simpler or even tenkeyless?  If you like backlighting you can get a Noppoo Choc Pro or a Ducky shine.  CM also makes a few boards that are of decent quality and are easily obtainable in the US.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,256 of 2,079
If you think you'll like a TKL then you might want to try a 60%. The even smaller form factor can be a plus if you don't need dedicated keys for things like the arrow cluster.
Two 60% boards that you should consider is the Poker 2 (http://techkeys.us/products/poker-2) and the TEX Beetle, I think I'm not allowed to link groupbuy websites though so you'll have find it yourself.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,257 of 2,079
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a new mechanical keyboard. Do you guys have any to recommend with brown switches? 

I'm currently just using the razer black widow with blue switches. (realized how much I didn't like the macro buttons lol)

A 60% for gaming I've found is not ideal, especially if you frequently use the Function keys which I often do.  I think a tenkeyless is the perfect form factor, still compact so your mouse is closer (less wrist strain) and you still have your dedicated arrow pad and function row - you may be surprised how much you'll miss them haha.  The best bang for your buck I've found is going to be the CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid, which is still manufactured by Costar (OEM of Filco, and I prefer their stabilizers to Cherry style personally) so it will be a solid build.  Plus, it's plate mounted like your Black Widow so it'll be a bit heavier and more solid/rigid than anything PCB mounted - no flex when/if you press keys hard.

In the realm of Cherry MX switches, you may also want to consider linear switches like Black or Red switches - I've found them to be better overall for gaming, but also for typing in general.  Personal preferences, though...if you like the tactile bump I believe it's likely not going to adversely affect your game, so stick with Blue or Brown switches in that case.  Blue/Brown/Red switches all have nearly the same resistance (identical springs basically) so if you want a heavier switch go for Black switches.  If you can find them, possibly Clear switches which are like Brown with a more pronounced bump and higher resistance, or Green switches which is clicky like Blue but also with higher resistance - both are similar in resistance to Black switches.

Hope this helps!

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,260 of 2,079
Busy these days, just playing the occasional HotS, and any indy bundles I stumble across :) 

I plan on trying to become the boshy this coming fall, when I have a bit more time on my hands! 

Quote:
El_Doug plays games? Wow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back