Keyboard-Fi
Dec 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #481 of 2,079
I found membrane keyboard works well until around 3 months old and it start to get worse with use. I have used my 6GV2 for quite a while now, I can happy say it still feels the same as it is brand new.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #482 of 2,079

Quote:
I'm currently using the keyboard on my Sony Vaio, but I don't know that I can think of anything I'd want it to do better.

Do you have a Vaio laptop?  I just got one, and one of the deciding factors was the keyboard, which felt better than the others that I tried on display at Fry's.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered a custom mechanical keyboard, but I'll be using it with my desktop rig at work.  I went with Cherry brown switches with o-ring dampeners.  Although the colors are not too wild, I did go a little crazy with the keycap options:  a combo of blank keys, some engraved keys,  some printed keys, and some unconventional labeling.  Simulated rendering here:

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #484 of 2,079
Yeah, last year I got a blue EB series built from the factory with an i5, 1gb ATI graphics card, bluray drive, and 4gb of ram. The color is either a love it or hate it thing, but no-one has yet knocked the keyboard. I type on this thing like a machine, and even though I'm a fairly heavy fingered typist, it is holding up really well and I can type without too terribly many mistakes, largely because of the key seperation.

That keyboard looks SHARP! hope you enjoy!
Quote:
Do you have a Vaio laptop?  I just got one, and one of the deciding factors was the keyboard, which felt better than the others that I tried on display at Fry's.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered a custom mechanical keyboard, but I'll be using it with my desktop rig at work.  I went with Cherry brown switches with o-ring dampeners.  Although the colors are not too wild, I did go a little crazy with the keycap options:  a combo of blank keys, some engraved keys,  some printed keys, and some unconventional labeling.  Simulated rendering here:

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #486 of 2,079
My Leopold came in yesterday. Typing on it now. Wow the keys feel so good. Now I know what they mean when they say rubber domes are "mushy." These have such a nice feel that I wish I could just carry this with me anytime I use a computer. I'm also looking into key cap schemes.

I recently got a noppoo choc mini from a friend, and it's really got to be the best thing I've ever typed on. Cherry MX browns.

Yeah I was looking into this board when I was looking for one. I loved that compact look. That and the Poker.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #487 of 2,079
i love the mx blues. more than realforce. the vintage cherry boards were better than anything made today and you can get one for $20. if i ever use a rubber dome now it just feels terrible.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #488 of 2,079
I recently got a noppoo choc mini from a friend, and it's really got to be the best thing I've ever typed on. Cherry MX browns.

Aww, should have seen that keyboard earlier. Excatly what I am looking for and even cheaper than the Filco tenkeyless. I always wanted a compact tenkeyless keyboard with media control, never found one until now. Shame that I have the 6GV2 already.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #489 of 2,079
Just ordered the Logitech Illuminated for my girlfriend. I'll curious how it compares to my Apple wired Aluminum Keyboard + Numberpad.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #490 of 2,079

Quote:
Just ordered the Logitech Illuminated for my girlfriend. I'll curious how it compares to my Apple wired Aluminum Keyboard + Numberpad.

Does it happen to be the K800? Or the wired version? I have the wireless one and I think it's quite wonderful. The keys seem to be halfway between laptop keys and full size keys except (better).

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #491 of 2,079

Quote:
Does it happen to be the K800? Or the wired version? I have the wireless one and I think it's quite wonderful. The keys seem to be halfway between laptop keys and full size keys except (better).

Wired. I stay away from wireless stuff as much as possible. I have read enough independent researches on the matter for the last half-decade to definitely put me off. I gave up cell-phone use before the summer.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #492 of 2,079

Quote:
Wired. I stay away from wireless stuff as much as possible. I have read enough independent researches on the matter for the last half-decade to definitely put me off. I gave up cell-phone use before the summer.

I'm not saying... I'm just saying... 

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #493 of 2,079
Quote:

It shipped immediately & UPS was blazing fast, so it got delivered this morning! She will be pleased: it works fantastically well, so much that I'm tempted to get one for myself. The backlighting really is quite something, & its design matches the Sony SRS-ZP1000 active speaker system I gave her previously perfectly.
Noise-wise, however, my Apple keyboard wins, especially at the space-bar.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #494 of 2,079
It is a shame that once I have tried a mechanical keyboard, I can never turn back to the mushy rubber dome keyboard now.

First time I used a good mechanical keyboard was a print credit top up terminal at uni last year, linear key just like the blacks and I have never looked back to rubber dome since then.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #495 of 2,079
I really do like the incurved keys on some of the logitech keyboards though, if I were to ever use a rubber dome keyboard I'd probably get one of those.  I think that the Logitech illuminated has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back