Keyboard-Fi
Dec 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #496 of 2,074
It uses their proprietary "PerfectStroke" system: which looks like scissor-switch on rubber-dome. How noisy are those modern mechanical keyboards you guys mention so often? I'd like to try one some time, but I must admit relative low-noise is something that counts for me.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #497 of 2,074

Quote:
How noisy are those modern mechanical keyboards you guys mention so often? I'd like to try one some time, but I must admit relative low-noise is something that counts for me.

Depends on the switch type and how easily you bottom out.

Buckling-spring switches (IBM/Unicomp boards like the Model M and Model F) are quite loud. So are Cherry MX Blues and ALPS switches with click leaves.

Other types of switches (Cherry MX Clear, Brown, Red, and Black, assorted ALPS) don't generate a whole lot of noise from the tactile bump if present, but will generate a bit of noise once you bottom out. There are cushions that you can apply to mitigate the effect by softening the landing of the keys, though, and all you need to put them on is a keycap puller.

Topre is very quiet, but those switches are carefully-engineered rubber domes to begin with, just with springs underneath that trigger a capacitance-sensing PCB.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #498 of 2,074
I must say, of all the keyboards mentioned in this thread, the Topre has intrigued me most. Now why is it of course the most expensive?! "carefully-engineered" is likely part of the answer...
One day...

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #499 of 2,074
i do not feel realforce/hhkb are the best tactile switches. that goes to mx blue for me. i do feel topre is by far the best built package overall. which in the end counts for a lot. most of todays mx blue boards are built cheaply. the old cherry boards while not as good as a topre are much better. also like $20 vs. $200+. model m and f were perhaps even more solid than a topre but i really don't like the buckling spring much. i put cherry ds all over a das pro s and i don't use my realforce now. of course one has to have access to a box of old boards to do that.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #500 of 2,074

Quote:
I must say, of all the keyboards mentioned in this thread, the Topre has intrigued me most. Now why is it of course the most expensive?! "carefully-engineered" is likely part of the answer...
One day...

It probably has to do with Topre being capacitive (even though old foam-and-foil-switch boards were also capacitive) and touted as ridiculously reliable. As with anything, reliability comes at a high price.

Of course, they could also be charging a premium for having an exotic, defining technology. (Sort of like how electrostatics in general are quite expensive, even the non-Stax ones.) Or just charging a premium because they know people will pay up for it...

And speaking of build quality, Topre keycaps have this nice quality to them. I can't speak as to how well they retain their texture (my only experience with Topre is a small keychain), but I'd hope they fare better than my DSI Modular Mac (Cherry MX) keycaps did...wore some keys down smooth in the first month or two. That never happened with my IBM Model M.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #501 of 2,074
i destroyed a lot of keyboards over time, sometimes in ways you wouldn't suspect. and I've come to a weird conclusion: more noise= longer lifespawn

mechanical switches didn't give me the best feeling and are sooooo noisy. but over time you realize that what's really important is not so much the "love at first touch syndrome" , as you adapt to whatever keyboard you use. what's a pain is when your feel of the switches change over time. and mechanical switches usually don't.

on a visual note, i hate it when the letters start fading away. not that it matter for typing, but it makes your keyboard look like an old crap nobody would want to touch.

atm i'm on a 7G steelseries, compared to other mechanical switches you save 1clic sound. else i didn't use it long enough to say if it will be as sturdy.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #503 of 2,074
I don't mean to sound like a shill for WASD Keyboards, but they have a customizer that allows you to select "oldschool" as a preloaded option.  Is that what you are looking for?  You can order it with blue switches.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #504 of 2,074
I didn't know about this brand at all,  thank you very much. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back