Keyboard-Fi
Jan 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,771 of 2,079
The wood grain on your desk looks great. You practice writing kanji? Pretty cool.

What's slightly amusing is that we actually have a similar desk layout haha - But seriously, your desk still looks 'combed' in the latter picture. Only difference is basically a notebook is open....

I'll show you busy: my study/work area at present

I would draw your attention to the aforementioned wires. The mug graveyard is usually larger, and lots more paper laying about when I'm studying. I tidy up at the end, but I do fill the space when in use.

The desk next to the radiator was my other old one. Set it up the day before yesterday...I'll live with the layout for a little bit and see if it sticks... My other desk lies dismantled out of frame.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,772 of 2,079
The only difference is your notebook is bigger than mine (good thing size doesn't matter :xf_eek:).

What's slightly amusing is that we actually have a similar desk layout haha ...
The desk next to the radiator was my other old one...

You're not kidding - I have my old desk in the exact same relative location - doing amp duty now.

I got it more than 10 years ago for free, but I should have moved to something else years earlier than I did. It is at completely the wrong height for the crap chair I was using for 16+ years. I also got a new chair this year. My back is so much happier now. :atsmile:

Oh, and during the day, the bourbon is replaced with tea.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,773 of 2,079
Holy cr@p will you look at that... we even have similar wiring management 
biggrin.gif
. Congrats on the audio equipment - it looks like you're pretty much set.

Also I think some people on this thread used to talk about keyboards some time ago.. I can't be sure though...
(sorry my fault)

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,776 of 2,079
I still wish the back of the HHKB2 could be raised and lowered ... well just lowered actually.

See, we got back to keyboards, so you can cease your internal rant. You know who you are.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,777 of 2,079
So after selling my Das I purchased a Pok3r with cherry blues for a change of pace. I've been using it during the day and the hhkb at night owing to the noise level.

First off, the blues on the Pok3r felt completely different to what I remember my old razer blackwidow had. The switch caps make it feel much more refined in general with less of sharper clack. The switches felt easier to actuate, although this may be down to the fact that I am a better typist now.

I programmed the caps lock to be the control key, as I've got used to the hhkb. FN has been moved to the left control. I decided to keep the arrow key as they are for a slight variation.

Switching between boards is seamless in terms of familiarity with the layout.

I'm very happy for choosing blues. It's exactly what I wanted. The clicky and clackiness that contrasts heavily to the topre. Initially going from browns to topre made me wonder how people could describe topre to be smooth with its high actuation point. After adjusting I began to see what they were getting at. However switching from the blue switches it feels like I'm typing on butter.

The cherry definitely feels more 'mechanical' with that lovey crunchiness. I'm a faster typist on the hhkb.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,778 of 2,079
I have a number keypad with blues. It's perfect for entering data - you always know that the number was definitely entered. But it would drive me nuts typing on them. I have browns for gaming on - and they are great for this. But even typing text on that one for any length of time annoys me.

That said - I do always enjoy the crunchy, clacky cacophony when I use the number pad.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,779 of 2,079
biggrin.gif
 - I've more or less got used to the somewhat weird click and actuation bump of the blues now. My typing rhythm was all over the place at the start. I like the noise
I didn't think you could get any more offensive than an mx brown - pretty much as middle-of-the-road as it gets.

------

Somewhat related to keyboards and ahem ...desks... I'm planning on gradually achieving a more ergonomic workspace.

I'm considering attaching a decent pullout keyboard tray to the desk - A tray will free up the deskspace directly in front of me where I can place reading material - hopefully ending up with a more comfortable set up.

I'm looking at a model from Humanscale as I have been informed of their quality. They're awfully pricey however. Are there any users here or other brands that members use?

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,781 of 2,079
  I recently got a coworker into a cherry red filco... though it was a strange path where I lent him both a topre keyboard and a cherry brown filco. :)

I've not tried the reds. My first switch from a membrane was cherry mx black and I remember thinking it felt weird, and more akin to finger push ups than typing. But once I got used to it, typing on blacks was soooo smooth and fast. I can somewhat imagine the appeal your co-worker is attracted to in the reds. Neither the topre nor the browns have that linear fluidity.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,782 of 2,079
I got a refund of pok3r because the base had been warped and therefore it rocked on a flat surface. I hadn't realised as I had been typing with a towel at the bottom. So disappointed, but I saw that the ergotron keyboard tray was similar in price so bought it instead.

The height and angle can be adjusted, but the latter is fiddly because the same screw loosens and tightens both.. As a result the tray naturally rises as you try and tilt it. However, once you set it up you're sorted. I tilted the tray backwards a little to compensate for the angle of the HHKB.

I am using it with the clamp, which according to the instruction, only required one screw at the end of the tray to be drilled in under the desk. Without the clamp four more screws have to be drilled in. I am saving up for a new monitor so in view of a possible readjustment, I have opted for slightly less permanent clamp + 1 screw.

There is a little flex on either side of the tray. Partly to do with flex in the long desk itself, the kb tray. But it is solid during typing.

I'm not the tallest person, so achieving a comfortable typing position in the arms has been difficult. The tray has solved the issue. The pok3r's demise was a blessing in disguise.

The freed desk space in front of me will be useful during assignment writing this week.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,783 of 2,079
Even though most of our time on the computer is spent typing, many of us don't truly appreciate "good keyboards" (much like "good audio"
biggrin.gif
).

So my question is: What keyboards do Head-Fi members use?

Logitech K740 illuminated keyboard

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,785 of 2,079
  Anyone here use a Corsair K70 and has replaced the keycaps with caps other than ABS??

Just pulled the trigger on the Amazon $91 deal yesterday and wanted to see what I could swap onto it.

The material the key caps are made of don't really matter as long as it has the insert making it compatible with Cherry MX.

The biggest issue you will run into is the fact that Corsair uses a non-standard bottom row for their keyboards so you will need to make sure the keys for the bottom row are the correct size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back