Keyboard-Fi
Jan 13, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,756 of 2,074
  What keycaps are you planning for the keyboard? Also those are Cherry clears?

Next board will either be a blues or clears for me... leaning towards blues as I love the clicky sound.

Currently using my GMK Olivetti set with it and yeah, they're stock Cherry MX Clears.

Stock Cherry MX Clears are my preferred switch of choice, I've tried just about every switch there is and I own several mechanical keyboards right now with varying switches.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #1,757 of 2,074

Currently using my GMK Olivetti set with it and yeah, they're stock Cherry MX Clears.

Stock Cherry MX Clears are my preferred switch of choice, I've tried just about every switch there is and I own several mechanical keyboards right now with varying switches.

Really? Too soft for me. Then again, the tactile sensation is needed to get me to keep typing on this ginormous mountain that will be a novel.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,758 of 2,074

Really? Too soft for me. Then again, the tactile sensation is needed to get me to keep typing on this ginormous mountain that will be a novel.

Hope your novel is progressing well.

Doesn't your Kinesis have browns? I thought the clears had more resistance than those...
I tried the Das browns after using the hhkb for a few days, and man they felt so light to type on! I do like brown switches.

I read a number of typists preferring heavier switches. After my initial forays in MX blacks and blues, I have personally preferred the lighter browns. Then going onto the Topre, the initial resistance before the bump was what I found most noticeable. Almost used to it, but not quite.

--------

The Olivetti caps look pretty classy.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,759 of 2,074

Hope your novel is progressing well.

Doesn't your Kinesis have browns? I thought the clears had more resistance than those...
I tried the Das browns after using the hhkb for a few days, and man they felt so light to type on! I do like brown switches.

I read a number of typists preferring heavier switches. After my initial forays in MX blacks and blues, I have personally preferred the lighter browns. Then going onto the Topre, the initial resistance before the bump was what I found most noticeable. Almost used to it, but not quite.

--------

The Olivetti caps look pretty classy.

I have the Dvorak version of the keyboard and I think it only comes with browns. It's a little mushy, and it doesn't help that I had to put o-rings on the keys to avoid knife attacks from the girlfriend (she hates the typing sound of mechanical keyboards).

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,760 of 2,074

I have the Dvorak version of the keyboard and I think it only comes with browns. It's a little mushy, and it doesn't help that I had to put o-rings on the keys to avoid knife attacks from the girlfriend (she hates the typing sound of mechanical keyboards).

And yet she bought you the keyboard right? That definitely counts for something methinks
biggrin.gif

How long have you been using Dvorak for and how did you find the transition from qwerty (assuming that's where you started)? I've been re-learning to type hangul at a decent speed, but it's a huge pain... and improvement is slow.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #1,762 of 2,074
And yet she bought you the keyboard right? That definitely counts for something methinks :D

How long have you been using Dvorak for and how did you find the transition from qwerty (assuming that's where you started)? I've been re-learning to type hangul at a decent speed, but it's a huge pain... and improvement is slow.

No, I bought the keyboard,

Dvorak is easy to learn. I learned it mostly because it just makes more sense and I don't really care if it's the same as what everyone else is using. QWERTY switchback is pretty easy but it helps when learning Dvorak to stick with only Dvorak until touch-typing with it is natural.

With the Kinesis Advantage, going back to non-split key bowls is what's weird. The keys are all closer to your fingers with the Advantage layout. Lastly, space is the thumb key only on the left side. On the right, it's backspace, so sometimes you accidentally backspace when trying to hit space when you're first learning.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,763 of 2,074
What switches are you using? Because MX Clears are on the heavier end.

Browns, but I bought I was replying to someone using reds.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,766 of 2,074
Did a palmrest not remedy the height issue at all?

I agree about the angle on the HHKB. I use a grifiti fat wrist pad which is the same height as the lower part of the HHKB2. I had a larger pad for the Das as well. That negated any comfort issues for me.

I don't like using a palm rest unfortunately. I tend to move my keyboard around a lot during the day (I use an adjustable desk and intentionally move it from standing to sitting throughout the day). Plus, I have a separate rig and keyboard for gaming but use the same monitor - pushing the one keyboard aside is easy but a palm rest becomes one more thing to deal with. It's a shame because if the angle were more neutral I would definitely use the HHKB2 - the typing feel is really second to none.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,767 of 2,074
I don't like using a palm rest unfortunately. I tend to move my keyboard around a lot during the day (I use an adjustable desk and intentionally move it from standing to sitting throughout the day). Plus, I have a separate rig and keyboard for gaming but use the same monitor - pushing the one keyboard aside is easy but a palm rest becomes one more thing to deal with. It's a shame because if the angle were more neutral I would definitely use the HHKB2 - the typing feel is really second to none.

Fair enough :)

But the mention of your desk perked my interest. Would you mind sharing which model adjustable desk you have? I am always conscious that I spend far too much time sitting down at the desk. I have been looking at adjustable height desks that can be placed on top of fixed ones, but all of them seem too expensive for what they do. They're too small anyway.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,768 of 2,074
I think mine is an Uplift desk. But I believe that 80-90% of the leg assemblies (at least in the US) are made by the same factory in China, and there is no difference in those legs. I spent many months looking at all those other options too. But in the end I decided that the amount of time spent using a desk warranted a decent investment for both health and enjoyment.

My advice would be to find a nice desktop you like and then just buy the legs separately. You can get nicer, cheaper options that way. I decided to go for a 4 leg setup instead of 2. I spent a week sanding down reclaimed wood, but it was worth the effort and expense. I really appreciate being able to adjust the height - not just from standing to sitting, but also small adjustments depending upon how I'm sitting/standing - typing, writing, listening to music, etc.

Apologies for the rubbish photos (and rubbish cable management) - the wide angle lens makes it look much lower than it actually is (and makes the cables look messier too :wink: ). The legs adjust both higher and lower than this, but these are the memory settings I have for sitting and standing.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,769 of 2,074
@Pudu

Thanks very much for the information and advice. I will look into it. Had a quick browse on the Uplift site, and they have a desk with a treadmill
biggrin.gif
. As a regular runner, I approve of such a contraption! Had a chortle anyway.

I actually bought a new rectangular desk a few days ago. I need space for my PC screen and keyboard and books at the same time so got a long rectangular one (800mm X 1800mm X 725mm). Ample deskspace is so underrated! Love it. Replacing the legs definitely seems like a viable plan.
I always appreciate a good wooden desk! Looks like you also have plenty of desk estate there. I'm still organising my room but normally my cables and table top is slightly 'busier' than yours
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,770 of 2,074
Haha, ya so is mine. It just 'combed its hair' for the photo.

Your desk is the exact length of mine. It is great to have room to stretch - especially if you have one desk for computer and writing. One reason why I opted for the 4-leg version is because of the way they attach to the desktop. There are brackets that screw into the desk and the legs attach to the brackets. This makes it much easier to remove and re-attach the legs. Since we move every 3 years or so, this was an important consideration. But, holy moly are the legs heavy! Each has its own motor inside.

-edited due to apocryphal apostrophe-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back