Kenwood HD20GA7 Review
Dec 24, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #61 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I'm not sure if you could get one or not from Japan, but I think the real question is: Are you willing to pay for it? I would imagine the price to be over $500!
eek.gif
If I were you I would contact Audiocubes.com to see if they can do a special order or something for you.

Also I think, with that much money, >$500, there would be a better sounding solution. Maybe a DAP plus a good portable headphone amp?

Well, in my case, I want the best sound possible unamped, in a system that's small enough to fit in my pocket. I've gone through just about everything trying to get there. Headphone-wise, finally settled on the ES2, but source-wise, X5 w/FLAC just doesn't cut it. If this will get me unamped sound quality that's substantially better than the X5, yes, I'm willing to pay for it. Through the nose, so to speak.

Hey, Bangraman uses a Qualia 010 for his portable. Don't look at me like I'm crazy!
eek.gif

P.S. Sent an inquiry to audiocubes. Let's see... maybe we can start a head-fi rush for these players
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #62 of 120
I'm sure it'll become the new Karma
tongue.gif
After having spent a total of $250 imported on a phone which costs $130 in Japan (and is worth that much... but not much more), I'm wary of importing an "OK".

I'm not sure when I'll be in Japan in the new year but if I'm still interested, I'll pick it up there than paying over the odds for potential mediocrity.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #63 of 120
does this player do gapless?

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #64 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
does this player do gapless?

The 20 gig version apparently does gapless with wav only, not with wma or mp3. I don't know about the newer 30 gig version.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #65 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
The 20 gig version apparently does gapless with wav only, not with wma or mp3. I don't know about the newer 30 gig version.

damn.

being i listen to mostly electronica dj sets, then classical, gapless is important to me.

ill hav eto keep waiting. and i dont want a karma, even though i respect the player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #66 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Well, in my case, I want the best sound possible unamped, in a system that's small enough to fit in my pocket. I've gone through just about everything trying to get there. Headphone-wise, finally settled on the ES2, but source-wise, X5 w/FLAC just doesn't cut it. If this will get me unamped sound quality that's substantially better than the X5, yes, I'm willing to pay for it. Through the nose, so to speak.

Hey, Bangraman uses a Qualia 010 for his portable. Don't look at me like I'm crazy!
eek.gif

P.S. Sent an inquiry to audiocubes. Let's see... maybe we can start a head-fi rush for these players
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well hopefully you can get it then!
icon10.gif
Make sure to write a review if you do though.

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #68 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by holleboomer
I listen a lot of electronic house music too, mixed albums and liveset, and I swear you it play's gapless at 320kbps MP3...

No, It doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a very small (0,1s) gap between MP3 and WMA songs. WAV is totally gapless though.

A strange thing I noticed: runtime is very short when playing WAV's. I get about 5-6 hours. Runtime is a good 20 hrs when playing 256kB/s MP3's. One problem is the harddisk never spins down when playing WAV's...
eek.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #69 of 120
OK, it seems that I can actually import the HD30GA9. It'll cost an arm and a leg, but hey, I can live with one of each, as long as my gear sounds good.

However!

There's no guarantee that the player will be US-compatible. I have to ask those that have bought the HD20GA7 from Japanese importers: were there any compatibility problems? Especially if you're US-based? I don't want to be SOL if I import an unreturnable incompatible player.

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #70 of 120
I'm really looking forward to Bangraman getting hold of either HD20GA7 or HD30GA9, so I can read one of his incredible in-depth reviews
biggrin.gif
You should definitely get one! I'm a relative beginner in this audiophile world, so while I swear by HD20GA7, I'm hoping that real experts pick up the Kenwood players and voice their opinions.

With the gapless question, some MP3 files have very very short gaps between each that render them seemingly gapless, but others have quite noticeable gaps. I'm pretty sure that HD20GA7 as yet should not be classed as fully gapless, but I still find the transition between songs pleasantly smooth.

The HD30GA9 I ordered in the beginning of December is finally due to arrive in the next few days (apparently). The unbelievable delay caused a financial bother that forced me to sell my white HD20GA7
mad.gif
But hopefully I'll get my clammy hands on the new HD30GA9 soon (cross fingers).

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #71 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
...but I think the real question is: Are you willing to pay for it? I would imagine the price to be over $500!
eek.gif

You guys should be grateful for such prices. When I bought my iHP 140 about two years ago I payed approximately $700
biggrin.gif
(and that was with a discount- the original price when the player first came out was around $930). The prices of electronics stuff in Poland are hideously steep. However, I've never regreted taking the plunge for 140. I'm still considering it the best portable player and I'm looking forward for its stately successor.

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #72 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmeister
I'm really looking forward to Bangraman getting hold of either HD20GA7 or HD30GA9, so I can read one of his incredible in-depth reviews
biggrin.gif
You should definitely get one! I'm a relative beginner in this audiophile world, so while I swear by HD20GA7, I'm hoping that real experts pick up the Kenwood players and voice their opinions.

With the gapless question, some MP3 files have very very short gaps between each that render them seemingly gapless, but others have quite noticeable gaps. I'm pretty sure that HD20GA7 as yet should not be classed as fully gapless, but I still find the transition between songs pleasantly smooth.

The HD30GA9 I ordered in the beginning of December is finally due to arrive in the next few days (apparently). The unbelievable delay caused a financial bother that forced me to sell my white HD20GA7
mad.gif
But hopefully I'll get my clammy hands on the new HD30GA9 soon (cross fingers).

I wonder if the HD30GA9 with Kenwood lossless is gapless like it should be with WAV. However, I would assume battery life with the lossless will not be much better than with WAV, but you can pack more onto the player. So when you get it, let us know esp. with lossless.

In the mean time, I'll stick with my Vaio Pocket which is turning out to still be the best portable DAP I've used yet IMHO

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #73 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by nertog
No, It doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a very small (0,1s) gap between MP3 and WMA songs. WAV is totally gapless though.

A strange thing I noticed: runtime is very short when playing WAV's. I get about 5-6 hours. Runtime is a good 20 hrs when playing 256kB/s MP3's. One problem is the harddisk never spins down when playing WAV's...
eek.gif

anytime you use files that contain more data, battery life is gonna take a big hit. mostly i think from the hard drive having to spin up to load more data into the ram. plus the processor has to do a bunch more work. you should notice a difference between playin all 128mp3 vs 320mp3

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #74 of 120
I'm very much hoping that the Kenwood lossless files will be gapless. It would be the logical thing for Kenwood to do. I'm not partial to doing battery tests - haven't got the patience for them lol - but this time I'm also very curious to see how long the player lasts playing the lossless files, so yeah I'll definitely get around to that when it's delivered.

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmeister
I'm very much hoping that the Kenwood lossless files will be gapless. It would be the logical thing for Kenwood to do. I'm not partial to doing battery tests - haven't got the patience for them lol - but this time I'm also very curious to see how long the player lasts playing the lossless files, so yeah I'll definitely get around to that when it's delivered.

Do you have a HD30GA9 on order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back