Kenwood HD20GA7 Review
Dec 2, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #46 of 120
FenderP, the Japanese website AVWatch has conducted a comparison between the JVC player and HD30GA9:

via http://dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2642

Here: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2%2Fdev138.htm

As DAPreview mentions, HD30GA9 seems to have triumphed. But the most notable thing here was the price of the JVC player - 39,800 yen for a 6GB player! That's daylight robbery! (Not that I can talk - I've already ordered HD30GA9 and that thing cost an arm and a leg
frown.gif
)

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #48 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmeister
FenderP, the Japanese website AVWatch has conducted a comparison between the JVC player and HD30GA9:

via http://dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2642

Here: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2%2Fdev138.htm

As DAPreview mentions, HD30GA9 seems to have triumphed. But the most notable thing here was the price of the JVC player - 39,800 yen for a 6GB player! That's daylight robbery! (Not that I can talk - I've already ordered HD30GA9 and that thing cost an arm and a leg
frown.gif
)

They liked the JVC. The review was pretty favorable to both. Excite's Japanese translation was better. The difference really isn't night and day.

The JVC also comes with a dock and a wireless remote control, which are accessories.

I can tell you I didn't pay nearly $400 for it, and I've seen it selling for closer to $250 or so (or less). List prices are just that - list prices.

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #49 of 120
Wasn't trying to put down JVC - but I do realize that I wasn't playing fair with those listed prices, coz HD30GA9 was listed at just below 50,000 yen and I've ordered one for a lot less than that too.

I do wonder, though: what if you don't want the dock and the remote, can you pay less for just the player? That wireless remote thing does look pretty cool, however. Wish there was one for HD30GA9 too lol

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #50 of 120
Quote:

but I do realize that I wasn't playing fair with those listed prices, coz HD30GA9 was listed at just below 50,000 yen and I've ordered one for a lot less than that too.

Hi hwanmeister,

Do you mind telling where to buy HD30GA9 below the listed price of 50,000 Yen?

Thanks in advance.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #51 of 120
Quote:

Wasn't trying to put down JVC - but I do realize that I wasn't playing fair with those listed prices, coz HD30GA9 was listed at just below 50,000 yen and I've ordered one for a lot less than that too.

I do wonder, though: what if you don't want the dock and the remote, can you pay less for just the player? That wireless remote thing does look pretty cool, however. Wish there was one for HD30GA9 too lol

No worries. I'm not a brand fanatic. I've seen the XA-HD500 for around 24000 yen in the odd place, but it sells generally in the 30000 range. It doesn't come without the dock and remote.

The HD30GA9 hasn't shown up where I shop, and my JVC is finally arriving Monday or Tuesday. Woo hoo!

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #54 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melik
does it display photo's ?

The Kenwood? Or the JVC?

The JVC does not and I would never want it to. I don't understand why people want that in an audio player.

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #55 of 120
brianadam888, I ordered mine from murauchi.co.jp via Yahoo Japan. I don't know what I was smoking when I said 'a lot' less than 50,000, but it's actually 'a bit' less than the stated price
tongue.gif
My bad. But that place seems to be having some kind of supply problems and I've yet to receive mine. Must acquire more patience.

FenderP, I've ordered my HD30GA9 over a week ago and Boo! It's not here yet. It should arrive sometime next week, so hopefully I'll be able to get my clammy hands on it lol. When you get the JVC, please post some pics and a review!

Melik, the Kenwood players display album art, but not pics. I agree with FenderP, that displaying general pics seems pretty superfluous, but I do think being able to view album art is a great thing.

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #56 of 120
Got the JVC today. Nice player, easy to use, sounds great (didn't do an A-B, but definitely better than my Sony Vaio Pocket), but I know it's already gone for me since I've tested it and it isn't gapless. Sigh. Used it for all of 15 mins. Back in the box it goes!

Back to the Vaio Pocket or possibly another Sony since they are gapless. Since the Kenwoods are not, it rules them out for me.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #57 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
Got the JVC today. Nice player, easy to use, sounds great (didn't do an A-B, but definitely better than my Sony Vaio Pocket), but I know it's already gone for me since I've tested it and it isn't gapless. Sigh. Used it for all of 15 mins. Back in the box it goes!

Back to the Vaio Pocket or possibly another Sony since they are gapless. Since the Kenwoods are not, it rules them out for me.

Well, my HD20GA7 plays gapless MP3 for sure!

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #58 of 120
holleboomer, I ran a translation machine on the Japanese user site that you mentioned earlier, and the users say that HD20GA7 is gapless with WAV files only. MP3 and WMA files are apparently not gapless, and the general impression I get from MP3 files is that they might not be gapless. I'm really not sure about these matters, though, so when my HD30GA9 arrives - if ever
mad.gif
- I'm gonna seriously get down to it and test them! Grrr! Lol

Dec 24, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #59 of 120
Hey guys,

Any idea where a man could order the HD30GA9 from the US? I'd buy it right now if I could only find a store that would ship it to the US of A...

Warmer sound than the X5 eh? No strident highs? Damn, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I'll have to switch from FLAC to WAV but oh well... 30 GB of WAVs is plenty.

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #60 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Hey guys,

Any idea where a man could order the HD30GA9 from the US? I'd buy it right now if I could only find a store that would ship it to the US of A...

Warmer sound than the X5 eh? No strident highs? Damn, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I'll have to switch from FLAC to WAV but oh well... 30 GB of WAVs is plenty.

I'm not sure if you could get one or not from Japan, but I think the real question is: Are you willing to pay for it? I would imagine the price to be over $500!
eek.gif
If I were you I would contact Audiocubes.com to see if they can do a special order or something for you.

Also I think, with that much money, >$500, there would be a better sounding solution. Maybe a DAP plus a good portable headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back