Kenwood HD20GA7 Review
Jan 3, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #76 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Do you have a HD30GA9 on order?

Yup, have it on order, but it's taking its sweet time arriving. I'm starting to get really worked up about the delay, so some kind of action might be needed against the importer. If they are to be believed, though, the player should be here sometime real soon, but nevertheless I'm getting tired of waiting.

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #78 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
Here is a U.S. distributor for both the 20 and 30 gig model kenwood for anyone interested. I'm not afiliated with this place at all. it was mentioned in another thread but here is a direct link.
http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductL...=PORT;PORT-HDD

Later.
Do!

I don't know if www.warehouse123.com will ever actually sell HD30GA9. They've been on "backorder" with the HD20GA7 for months. Was interested in getting the black HD20GA7 from them. I emailed them about the purchase and they said something along the lines of "we don't know when we will have them in..." Who knows when they'll have the HD30GA9.

I do know that www.audiocubes.com has the HD20GA7 for sale. Also they actually have them in stock. Don't know whether or not they'll sell the HD30GA9.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #79 of 120
Well, I've tried getting the HD30GA9, and it seems that it's sold out everywhere in Japan, and new units will not arrive until either the end of February/beginning of March.

Boo.

I've ordered the HD20GA7 from audiocubes in the meanwhile. There are a lot of German sites that are going to be selling HD20GA7's soon, though, and it seems that the cost will be often under 300 euro - good news for us in the USA if these German sites are willing to ship players stateside. The HD20GA7 seems to be fully english compatible, and the HD30GA9 also, and both players reputedly support 7 languages in total.

Anyway, I'll post my impressions of the HD20GA7 when it arrives, and by no means will I end the search for the HD30GA9. I guess there could be an HD20GA7 in the FS forum should I succeed
tongue.gif

I hope the player is as good as people say. We'll see. The warm tonal balance should be an ideal match to a lot of IEM's.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #80 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Well, I've tried getting the HD30GA9, and it seems that it's sold out everywhere in Japan, and new units will not arrive until either the end of February/beginning of March.

Boo.

I've ordered the HD20GA7 from audiocubes in the meanwhile. There are a lot of German sites that are going to be selling HD20GA7's soon, though, and it seems that the cost will be often under 300 euro - good news for us in the USA if these German sites are willing to ship players stateside. The HD20GA7 seems to be fully english compatible, and the HD30GA9 also, and both players reputedly support 7 languages in total.

Anyway, I'll post my impressions of the HD20GA7 when it arrives, and by no means will I end the search for the HD30GA9. I guess there could be an HD20GA7 in the FS forum should I succeed
tongue.gif

I hope the player is as good as people say. We'll see. The warm tonal balance should be an ideal match to a lot of IEM's.

That's too bad. But you're going to buy both the Kenwood HD20GA7 and the HD30GA9? Wow that is really going to cost you!
eek.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #81 of 120
At this point, I'm waiting to see if the Gigabeat S is going to be gapless with at least WAV or Windows Lossless. If it is, it may not sound as good, but it will do the trick. I can live with my Vaio Pocket until springtime (or longer).

Jan 19, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #82 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
That's too bad. But you're going to buy both the Kenwood HD20GA7 and the HD30GA9? Wow that is really going to cost you!
eek.gif

The things we do for love
icon10.gif
Actually, the FS forum should fetch me about 60% of the HD20's price at least. Also, if you check eBay, you're going to see a lot of "wanted" ads for the HD20, so I certainly have options for getting my money back.

I'll be paying a lot more when the Shure E500 comes out this may. And even more when Stax releases their new gear. And the new Rega Apollo is out now...

DAMN YOU, HEAD-FI!!!!

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #83 of 120
Hey catscratch,

Are you in the US currently? If you are...how did u go about importing a HD30GA9 (if I am not mistaken) Are there any merchants online?

Thank you

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #84 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze
Hey catscratch,

Are you in the US currently? If you are...how did u go about importing a HD30GA9 (if I am not mistaken) Are there any merchants online?

Thank you

I've contacted different importers, and the one that got back to me was www.geekstuff4u.com . They were very quick to answer emails and in general very helpful.

However!

The HD30GA9 is sold out pretty much everywhere right now, which is what they told me after trying to find a unit for two weeks. The earliest date that they quoted was end of February/beginning of March. I've ordered the HD20GA7 from audiocubes instead, and I just got it today. So far, so good... impressions coming tomorrow.

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #85 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I've ordered the HD20GA7 from audiocubes instead, and I just got it today. So far, so good... impressions coming tomorrow.

Well be sure to start another thread with your impressions. Also make SURE you get some pics of your HD20GA7 in that thread!!!
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #87 of 120
I've been concerned about one thing that seems to have been left out of these threads so far. The Kenwood specs mention that the player's output is only 6mW. I'd imagine that makes for a pretty quiet output on the player. Can anyone comment on the volume factor on this DAP?

I'm also wondering about the compatibility of this DAP's output with that of a headphone amp. does it make sense to run a digital amp's output through an analog amp thereafter?

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #88 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
I've been concerned about one thing that seems to have been left out of these threads so far. The Kenwood specs mention that the player's output is only 6mW. I'd imagine that makes for a pretty quiet output on the player. Can anyone comment on the volume factor on this DAP?

I'm also wondering about the compatibility of this DAP's output with that of a headphone amp. does it make sense to run a digital amp's output through an analog amp thereafter?

I'm not sure about the headphone amp question, but as for the volume question I think it would be sufficient. From reviews, I've never seen reviewers mention a lack of volume. Maybe the Kenwood cannot get as loud, but it is just loud enough. I know my iRiver H120 can get REALLY loud, but I don't even use 25% of its capabilities. Maybe with the Kenwood I would end up using up 50-60% of its volume capabilities to drive ordinary headphones.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #89 of 120
Cool! I've had my HD20GA7 for a loooong time, though... I don't know how you consider this to be a 'new' player.
biggrin.gif
Most of my old friends think my Kenwood is junk. Which, I'm starting to believe... after all, I've had mine for almost a year now!

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #90 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanadakiss39
Cool! I've had my HD20GA7 for a loooong time, though... I don't know how you consider this to be a 'new' player.
biggrin.gif
Most of my old friends think my Kenwood is junk. Which, I'm starting to believe... after all, I've had mine for almost a year now!

I'd be glad to help you out in that case... sell me your kenwwood junk!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back