Kennerton Thekk
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #77 of 107
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #79 of 107
HELP! WHICH COLOR FIERY RED or COOL BLUE?
thumbwnail.jpg

thuwmbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #80 of 107
Oct 7, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #83 of 107
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #85 of 107
The Thekk being driven balanced by the RSA Intruder with beautiful results.

This photo (above), underexposed, does not do justice to your superb Thekk (in stabilized Karelian birch, emerald green color). :)

20112210342123553817138444.jpg

For memory : Thekk versus Utopia : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...hror-discussion.732814/page-187#post-15574432
and: http://www.tellementnomade.org/kennerton-thekk-vs-focal-utopia-deuxieme-manche-russie-france/2/

Thekk is my favorite headphones, probably the best, or at least one of the most popular of the open Kennerton planar headphones.

19120511022223553816542941.jpg

The closed back Kennerton electrodynamic headphones that seem to be the most appreciated at the moment are the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 50 and Gjallarhorn JM Edition depending on the desired bass level, if you read the last pages of this thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...an-thekk-and-thror-discussion.732814/page-255) whose dynamism and enthusiasm is a pleasure to see! :)

The strong points (of the Thekk): the holographic precision of its sound scene; its aeration and opening (with a good source and a good tube amp), the sense of detail, without being analytical, the precision, speed and texture of its basses, well balanced, and especially its medium, at the same time, soft, fluid, well textured, carnal, "natural", perfect to reproduce the male and female voices, with emotion and distinction.
Its weak point, the relative lack of sub-bass, under 40 Hz, which makes it not a headphone for bass-heads.

However, the bass level is more than enough to listen to any bass (and bass guitar) above 40 Hz, and is not very sensitive to the clamping force of the pads, excellent.

Another strong point is their versatility: they are open to almost all styles of music, from Metal Symphonic to the Classical genre where they excel.

And then, its wearing comfort, its weight (one of the planar headphones, with 80 mm drivers, the lightest to wear of the market), and the possibility to choose wood cup finishes that are all more beautiful (and original) than the others.

It's the most advanced planar headphones in the Kennerton range, the least specialized, and therefore deserves its popularity. :)

And it has nothing to envy to many other high-end headphones I have tried: Stax SR- 007 mk2 and 009, Audeze LCD_3F (and also most likely LCD-4), Focal Utopia, Meze Empyrean, Mysphere ...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #86 of 107
I traded a few weeks back one of my RAD-0 for Thekk plus a Silver Bengal cat and I never looked back. The cat protects my big basement systems from any pests, while the Thekk is appreciated in my office/bedroom(wife kicked me out).

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #87 of 107
I traded a few weeks back one of my RAD-0 for Thekk plus a Silver Bengal cat and I never looked back. The cat protects my big basement systems from any pests, while the Thekk is appreciated in my office/bedroom(wife kicked me out).
You traded a pair of headphones for headphones and a cat.
Seems like a great choice to me! :)

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #88 of 107
You traded a pair of headphones for headphones and a cat.
Seems like a great choice to me! :)
Just happen that we where looking to adopt. At same time the person trading with me had to find a new home for one of the Bengals.
27DABCC6-F194-40F9-BDF7-043084982E25.jpeg

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #89 of 107
Just happen that we where looking to adopt. At same time the person trading with me had to find a new home for one of the Bengals. 27DABCC6-F194-40F9-BDF7-043084982E25.jpeg
Very cute, great deal!

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #90 of 107
Thekk (SN TK-001) versus Thror (early version SN THR-001) equipped with stock pads, then ECL-01 and ECL-02 pads.

And the winner is ...

19112512115823553816526041.jpg

19112512115823553816526040.jpg

19112511510623553816526021.jpg

19112511504423553816526015.jpg

20090509575023553817009046.jpg

20121403394823553817170939.jpg

I just compared my son's Thror, equipped with its stock earpads, with large perforations; stock earpads most likely distinct from current Kennerton ECL-01 earpads, also with large perforations, but much flatter in appearance than the more rounded and chubby pads fitted to the Thror, which is an early model, as the first in the series (SN-001). In addition, the foam padding is probably different from that fitted to the new Kennerton planar headphones with ECL-01 earpads; Finally, it is possible that the foam of the stock earpads of this "early" Thror has become a little deformed over time, which is not without consequences on the sound.

I made 3 direct comparisons of headphones, two by two:
1 - Kennerton Thror "early", with his old earpads in stock (with large perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
2 - Kennerton Thror with ECL-02 earpads (small perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
3- Kennerton Thror equipped with ECL-01 earpads (new), a priori identical to those equipping my Thekk versus Kennerton Thekk equipped with ECL-01 earpads in stock.

(Note: the direct comparison of the Thror with the Thekk was made without equalization of the levels: the levels being (to the ear) substantially the same (for the whole of the FR): the sensitivity of the two headphones being identical: 100 dB / 1mW.

The primary purpose of this comparison was to assess by ear the level of bass (between 50 and 200 Hz) and sub-bass (under 50 Hz) with these different earpads (and headphones).
On the other hand, being very attached to the quality of the timbres, the female voices in particular, but also the stringed instruments (with the sound of body and the sound of strings): guitars, cello, violin; but also brass instruments (presence, sparkle), I listened to 4 pieces of music highlighting the bass (bass guitar, drums, synthesizer), their dynamics (slam); the timbres of the violin and cello, and the brilliance of the brass, as well as female voices.
See the links below.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMetalGoddesses/videos/986716228508313/
Nightwish - Amaranth (Live at Tampere 2015)

L.E.J - Hanging Tree

Hans Zimmer Live in Prague - Zoosters Breakout (Madagascar)

Hans Zimmer Live in Prague - Gladiator "The Battle"

First comparison: Kennerton Thror "early", with his old earpads in stock (with large perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
As already indicated, the Thror "early" equipped with these "old" stock pads and perhaps also with a little packed internal foam and distorded, lack of bass, compared to Thekk, it's pretty obvious; the high-midrange is put forward, which distorts the timbre of the female voices, too accentuated on the 3000 Hz region (as if the singer was singing through a cardboard cone); the sound is also more lean and clear (in contrast to full and dense) compared to Thekk; the highs are less fine, rougher, more metallic. Instruments and voices lack body and warmth.

Second comparison: Kennerton Thror with ECL-02 earpads (with small perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk equipped with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
For the record, these ECL-02 pads are supposed to give the Thror a sound close to that of the old Odin mk2 (which is no longer produced).
In a way, it does well, but at the cost of a certain downgrade.

It is undeniable that the bass level of the Thror is boosted with these ECL-02 pads to equal, in the middle bass, those of Thekk, and largely exceed it in the sub-bass (under 50 Hz).

But, because there are several large but, it is a fairly clear downgrade of the Thror equipped with its stock pads, because:
Aeration of the soundstage is clearly lost, which appears to be more confined, less airy, more bushy, and therefore joins the soundstage of the Odin (more compact than that of the Thror equipped with its stock pads, and the Thekk also).

To my ear, we lose a lot of high-mids and low treble, with these ECL-02 pads, with a undeniable dullness altering the timbre of female voices (less distinct and less clear), and also, and especially guitars and brass, which lose very clearly in radiance and brilliance (compared to Thekk); it's too bad ; on the other hand we find an accentuated upper treble, which contrasts with the lack of low treble.
This accentuation of the bass (and sub-bass), this deepening of the low treble and this peak of the upper treble, of the Thror equipped with the ECL-02 pads, remind me a little of the LCD-4: you can like, like not like ; for my part, I don't like it too much.
Admittedly, this effectively brings the Thror closer to the sound of the Odin mk2 (and also of its soundstage), but we find, unlike the Odin, a sound a little "cold", which does not have the luxuriance and the heat of the Odin mk2. The Thror remains the Thror, even if here inflated in bass and sub-bass.

Third comparison: Kennerton Thror equipped with ECL-01 earpads (new), a priori identical to those fitted to my Thekk versus Kennerton Thekk equipped with ECL-01 earpads in stock.

Well, I don't regret buying these ECL-01 pads at all to equip my son's Thror "early" (SN-001), instead of the "old" stock pads.

The Thror is much better equipped with these ECL-01 pads (new) compared to the old pads: the sound of the Thror equipped with these ECL-01 pads is much closer to that of the Thekk, partially erasing the defects observed during my first comparison of the Thror (with its "old" stock pads) with the Thekk (equipped with ECL-01 pads in stock).
As an improvement, we note a higher bass level, without however equaling that of Thekk which keeps a small head start.
The bass impact (percussion slam) is very similar, as is the bass speed, between the Thror (ECL-01 pads) and Thekk (ECL-01 pads). Maybe the Thror's bass is a little deeper, but it's also a little less level.

The aeration of the soundstage is slightly better with Thekk versus Thror equipped with the same ECL-01 pads (with large perforations): the Thekk is slightly more open (and slightly more airy).
The presence of brass (brillance and radiance) and guitars is a little more present with Thekk versus Thror (always with these ECL-01 pads).
The treble of Thekk is always a little more refined and fine than that of the Thror, even if the gap has narrowed with these ECL-01 pads (new).
The voices, especially female, remain more balanced, natural and full with Thekk versus Thror (always with these same pads); stringed instruments also have more fullness (more body and body sound) with the Thekk, versus Thror, although the difference seems less marked when the Thror is fitted with (new) ECL-01 pads.
Finally, the soundstage (in addition to being a little more airy) is also deeper, more in sound relief, "less flat", with Thekk versus Thror.

The Thekk equipped with its stock pads (ECL-01) remains overall more attractive than the Thror (even equipped with new ECL-01 pads) on almost all criteria; otherwise, it is on par with Thror (dynamic and slam, for example).

The Thror may exceed Thekk for the depth of its sub-basses, but not for the mids bass level where the Thekk continues to lead the Thror.

In summary, the ECL-02 earpads that we can try with the Thror are, for me, an obvious downgrade of the headphones, making it in a way very close to the Odin mk2 for the tone, but without equaling it.
Odin remains the Odin (and he is inimitable), and the Thror, even boosted in bass, keeps some characters of the Thror (a certain coldness), but loses a lot in the soundstage, and for the brilliance and radiance of the brass and stringed instruments; guitar and violin which are quite clearly set back, with these ECL-02 earpads.

But this can also be an effect to seek if you want to boost the bass and sub-bass of a headphone, while attenuating the low treble (but not the upper treble); everyone to see.

To conclude: I recommend the ECL-01 earpads (new) with the "early" Thrors equipped with the first models of pads and / or if the foam of the stock pads has deformed a little over time.

As for the ECL-02 earpads, they are not expensive to buy, and depending on your tastes and what you expect from them depending on the style of music you listen to, they can please or not.
It's up to everyone to have their own experience. :)

EDIT: ah, I forgot to say it, and it's important to remember it: this comparison of headphones (Thror equipped with three kinds of earpads versus Thekk), showed the obvious: the Thekk is lighter to wear and therefore more comfortable to wear; the new headband self-adaptive makes all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back