Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 18, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #9,872 of 10,023
How do the Magister Heritage sound compared to the Vali?
The Magister H is reminiscent of the Rognir P and Odin H -- huge, powerful bass, full-bodied sound. In contrast to Rognir, there is a more pronounced, richer midrange. MH is about as dark as Odin H, so if you like high frequencies, these headphones are not for you.

The Vali Neo have brighter treble, +- same resolution, less bass, more balance across the frequency range (MH's emphasis is on the bass and lower mids). MH sound more spectacular.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #9,873 of 10,023
Cheers, would be curious. Rognir planar with "classic" metal (i.e., from 1982 to 1992) would be welcome. Thanks!
Like Iron Maiden?

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #9,874 of 10,023
The Magister H is reminiscent of the Rognir P and Odin H -- huge, powerful bass, full-bodied sound. In contrast to Rognir, there is a more pronounced, richer midrange. MH is about as dark as Odin H, so if you like high frequencies, these headphones are not for you.

The Vali Neo have brighter treble, +- same resolution, less bass, more balance across the frequency range (MH's emphasis is on the bass and lower mids). MH sound more spectacular.
You seem knowledgeable about these products. Any chance you might know how the LSA Diamond might compare against the Kennerton Thekk and Thror? I currently own a Diamond and it’s simply a breath taking headphone. I feel it makes no sacrifices and has astonishing natural warmth + rich bass to it.. but also a beautiful midrange & treble too (hence no sacrifices lol). This has me looking at Kennerton more and seriously pondering some purchase in the future. At the moment I’m just trying to understand where things fit in.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #9,875 of 10,023
You seem knowledgeable about these products. Any chance you might know how the LSA Diamond might compare against the Kennerton Thekk and Thror? I currently own a Diamond and it’s simply a breath taking headphone. I feel it makes no sacrifices and has astonishing natural warmth + rich bass to it.. but also a beautiful midrange & treble too (hence no sacrifices lol). This has me looking at Kennerton more and seriously pondering some purchase in the future. At the moment I’m just trying to understand where things fit in.
I would love o compare the diamond vs my heartland planar! The HLP has lot of detail and powerful sound, i made a review about it, i think one of the few on the internet in existence.

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #9,876 of 10,023
Any chance you might know how the LSA Diamond might compare against the Kennerton Thekk and Thror?
The Kennerton workshop is about 40 minutes from me, so yes, I go there often and know many of the models well. The LSA are made for sale in the US, so I don't know much about those models. I certainly haven't listened to Diamond.

It will be easier if you tell me what kind of sound you need and what are your requirements for headphones and I will try to choose for you the models you should pay attention to.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #9,878 of 10,023
Cheers, would be curious. Rognir planar with "classic" metal (i.e., from 1982 to 1992) would be welcome. Thanks!
I don't know much about classic metal, but I've listened to tracks from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica for a while. To my surprise the amp turned out to have a very decent sound. The presentation is warm, full-bodied, and the upper frequencies are comfortable. Detail and separation are at a good level. Soundstage is spacious. I did not hear any muddiness. At the same time, there is a great deal of natural, liveliness in the sound. Overall, I think it can compete in sound level with competitors in this price range. But the factory units will win in terms of additional inputs, preamplifier, etc.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #9,879 of 10,023
I don't know much about classic metal, but I've listened to tracks from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica for a while. To my surprise the amp turned out to have a very decent sound. The presentation is warm, full-bodied, and the upper frequencies are comfortable. Detail and separation are at a good level. Soundstage is spacious. I did not hear any muddiness. At the same time, there is a great deal of natural, liveliness in the sound. Overall, I think it can compete in sound level with competitors in this price range. But the factory units will win in terms of additional inputs, preamplifier, etc.
Thanks, sounds promising! What source/DAC did you use, if I may ask? How's the build/feel in the flesh?

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #9,880 of 10,023
What source/DAC did you use, if I may ask? How's the build/feel in the flesh?
Hiby RS8 -> DIY R2R DAC -> AMP

Like any Kennerton product this is made very well, with attention to detail, reliability. The case looks very stylish, vintage, and the load indicator looks harmonious in all this.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #9,882 of 10,023
Overall hifi has been selling much slower in my experience. You also have a lot of new head-fiers trying to sell headphones for way more than they have sold for on this site. Hell a few years ago I bought a Odin Mk2 with warranty on it still (which was needed as most of that model has had driver failure) for $900 and the one for sale now is $1500 LOL. You also have the huge price reduction of HIFI Man headphones and others which have made it harder to justify spending the same coin on a used item.

i like ZMF and owned a few pairs….but head-fi loves them more than I do lol. I did hear an Atrium recently and it was definitely my favorite ZMF i have heard ….but the Verite Closed vs the Rognir is no contest Rognir by a wide margin imo. I had a Verite open at the same time as the Thekk… and I was on the Thekk more often. But….ZMF is good stuff too And my wife loved the Verite.

I considered a used Rognir and almost bought one….but I decided on a new Modhouse Tungsten instead. A few days of regret of missing out on the Rognir and I looked online and One left at the USA distributor…. Well decided to finance that last set….couldnt let it get away lol.
Hi, I am currently having VC and I love it! Would you say Rognir is a straight upgrade compared to Vc?

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #9,883 of 10,023
Hi, I am currently having VC and I love it! Would you say Rognir is a straight upgrade compared to Vc?
Not much in audio I would consider to be a “straight upgrade“ - most of time it is a matter of preference and bias🙄
I had the VC two times in my headphone career (Desert Ironwood and Koa), but in both cases I sold them in the end. Doesn’t mean it is not a great headphone, but while owning several other headphones at the same time I was more drawn to other models.
I still own the Rögnir Dynamic as well as the Rögnir Planar so they might suit my preferences more - without being an upgrade in all aspects over the VC.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #9,884 of 10,023
Not much in audio I would consider to be a “straight upgrade“ - most of time it is a matter of preference and bias🙄
I had the VC two times in my headphone career (Desert Ironwood and Koa), but in both cases I sold them in the end. Doesn’t mean it is not a great headphone, but while owning several other headphones at the same time I was more drawn to other models.
I still own the Rögnir Dynamic as well as the Rögnir Planar so they might suit my preferences more - without being an upgrade in all aspects over the VC.
I kinda had the same experiance with the VC. It is a great headphone but the sound signature really didn't work for me. I much preferred the Rognir Planar over it.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #9,885 of 10,023
Rognir at the Cayin exhibit :muscle::muscle::muscle:

1708791745588.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back