Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 14, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #9,856 of 10,023
Quick question guys I just bought an integrated amp (AVM A5.2) and The few reviews there are say the headphone stage is good (for whatever that is worth LOL). The headphone section is a 3.5mm connection. I am trying to decide if this amp can even power the Rognir Planar And decide if it is worth it to buy a 3.5mm cable for the Rognir. I reached out to AVM for the headphone specs and this is what they sent me

- Class A/AB

- max. 7V output voltage

- 47 Ohm output resistance

Can anyone advise if it is worthwhile spending the money on the cable to try the Rognir Planar with these specs?

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #9,857 of 10,023
Quick question guys I just bought an integrated amp (AVM A5.2) and The few reviews there are say the headphone stage is good (for whatever that is worth LOL). The headphone section is a 3.5mm connection. I am trying to decide if this amp can even power the Rognir Planar And decide if it is worth it to buy a 3.5mm cable for the Rognir. I reached out to AVM for the headphone specs and this is what they sent me

- Class A/AB

- max. 7V output voltage

Can anyone advise if it is worthwhile spending the money on the cable to try the Rognir Planar with these specs?
With the specs of your amp above, since it will output 7V maximum into a headphone load, and since P=V squared/R, its power output is 7 squared/42 ohms, which is 49/42 or a maximum of just over 1W. Also, since the sensitivity of the RP is about 100 dB per 1 mW of output, the amp will drive it to 130 dB which is jet airplane engine loud, so plenty of power to say the least.

As far as cable upgrades, I use a Synergistic Research Foundation headphone cable and found it to be a nice upgrade over the stock RP cable. Not an earth-shaking improvement but still a nice upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #9,858 of 10,023
With the specs of your amp above, since it will output 7V maximum into a headphone load, and since P=V squared/R, its power output is 7 squared/42 ohms, which is 49/42 or a maximum of just over 1W. Also, since the sensitivity of the RP is about 100 dB per 1 mW of output, the amp will drive it to 130 dB which is jet airplane engine loud, so plenty of power to say the least.

As far as cable upgrades, I use a Synergistic Research Foundation headphone cable and found it to be a nice upgrade over the stock RP cable. Not an earth-shaking improvement but still a nice upgrade.

Hope this helps.
This is exactly what I needed. Thanks

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #9,859 of 10,023

- Class A/AB

- max. 7V output voltage

It will likely not be a good match.

it's not because of lack of power (the calc above is correct) of which your amp has plenty. It's more because of bad impedance match -- plugging a 42 ohm load into a 47 ohm output impedance will likely sound like a very poorly controlled headphone. You'll most likly notice it as a mushy and uncontrolled bass (this depends on the natural resonance of the headphone, but that would be a common result). The headphones will be way under damped.

An OTL with this kind of output impedance (very typical for OTL; have two of those) will work fantastically well with high impedance (typically dynamic) headphones in the 150-300 ohm range.

I do not recommend this combination althought I've never heard it and I may be wrong. But it's very likely not to be ideal.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #9,860 of 10,023
It will likely not be a good match.

it's not because of lack of power (the calc above is correct) of which your amp has plenty. It's more because of bad impedance match -- plugging a 42 ohm load into a 47 ohm output impedance will likely sound like a very poorly controlled headphone. You'll most likly notice it as a mushy and uncontrolled bass (this depends on the natural resonance of the headphone, but that would be a common result). The headphones will be way under damped.

An OTL with this kind of output impedance (very typical for OTL; have two of those) will work fantastically well with high impedance (typically dynamic) headphones in the 150-300 ohm range.

I do not recommend this combination althought I've never heard it and I may be wrong. But it's very likely not to be ideal.
Excellent information my friend. Thank you so much

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #9,861 of 10,023
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #9,862 of 10,023

- Class A/AB
- max. 7V output voltage

The amp should have no problem powering up the Rognir, and the impedance is matched very well.
But, I think in these amps the HPs output is just an afterthought, and might be lackluster, but it's just an assumption.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #9,863 of 10,023
That I definitely assumed. I know it won't be anything close to My ampsandsound, but it'll give me the opportunity to listen to two headphones at the same time if I have a friend over.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #9,864 of 10,023
A friend directed me to the Russian version of Kennerton website, it's not the same website.
It seems the English website is not really up to date. In the Russian version you can see the latest models, and interesting prices.

Odin Heritage: https://kennerton.pro/shop/isodynamic-headphones/odin-heritage-jet-black/
Wodan 2023: https://kennerton.pro/shop/isodynamic-headphones/wodan/

You can use the translation feature of your browser to read.

1708078146360.png

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #9,865 of 10,023
A friend directed me to the Russian version of Kennerton website, it's not the same website.
It seems the English website is not really up to date. In the Russian version you can see the latest models, and interesting prices.

Odin Heritage: https://kennerton.pro/shop/isodynamic-headphones/odin-heritage-jet-black/

1708078146360.png
A lot of cool looking woods available on the Russian site.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #9,866 of 10,023

1708078146360.png
Nice find. Curious about this, too https://kennerton.pro/shop/amp/amber-ray/

Any experience @fullbass ?

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #9,868 of 10,023
Feb 17, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #9,869 of 10,023

Users who are viewing this thread

Back