Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 29, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #9,661 of 10,023
Will someone please nudge me when this thread returns to sanity. I like to hear about Kennerton headphones.

Nov 29, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #9,662 of 10,023
Will someone please nudge me when this thread returns to sanity. I like to hear about Kennerton headphones.
So, I recently sold my unique custom built stabilized Karelian birch GH50 upgraded to MKII with enormous bass and soundstage. I sold it because it didn't have the kind of sound as planar magnetic headphones do especially in the mid range. I thought I had great chances to sell it given how it's much more difficult to get Kennerton headphones from Russia now. But I learned that was not the case. It took me a while to sell it and the resale value was pretty low as I had to lower the price. I wonder why and if this only applies to the GH50.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #9,663 of 10,023
It took me a while to sell it and the resale value was pretty low as I had to lower the price. I wonder why and if this only applies to the GH50.
Are there any headphones you sell without losing money if you bought them new?

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #9,665 of 10,023
I didn't mean I wasn't expecting to lose money at all. I just didn't expect like a 30 - 40% decrease in value. I mean this seems like a low resale value to me considering all the factors.
It's the same with us. Some models (Vali Neoteric) are up to 50% off at the flea market. It's hard to explain it, because Vali -- great headphones and obviously worth their money. But even at $350, they can sell for a long time on the flea market. I think it has to do with poor brand recognition. Even in Russia few people know about Kennerton, as it is not surprising.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #9,667 of 10,023
I didn't mean I wasn't expecting to lose money at all. I just didn't expect like a 30 - 40% decrease in value. I mean this seems like a low resale value to me considering all the factors.
I would say 30% is close to an average. That said, Kennerton aren't necessarily a household name, even in this community. If they were ZMF it would be a different story.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #9,668 of 10,023
If they were ZMF it would be a different story.
In Russia, the ZMF may not sell at all for a long time. I remember that a couple of years ago I saw Atticus and some other model (brother of Atticus, more smoother sound) at a flea market. And these two pairs were sold there for a very long time. Although no, my bad, I saw some expensive ZMF model a while back.

Only those who are deeply immersed in audio know ZMF here.

I'd like to try ZMF myself, but there's no opportunity.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #9,669 of 10,023
My take on the long times to sell Kennerton, and perhaps other brands of headphones may be due to the fact that headphone enthusiasts are a relatively small community. That and the worsening economy here in the US and worldwide. The cost of living has risen considerably since Covid started and reduced discretionary income.

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #9,670 of 10,023
I have a couple pair of Kennerton I've been trying to sell for a while now...I didn't think I was priced incorrectly, but the market sure seems to think so it seems....

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #9,671 of 10,023
In Russia, the ZMF may not sell at all for a long time. I remember that a couple of years ago I saw Atticus and some other model (brother of Atticus, more smoother sound) at a flea market. And these two pairs were sold there for a very long time. Although no, my bad, I saw some expensive ZMF model a while back.

Only those who are deeply immersed in audio know ZMF here.

I'd like to try ZMF myself, but there's no opportunity.
I am not a ZMF fan of the one I have tried, I was saying they seem to have a larger appeal on Head-Fi. I thought the Verite closed was third behind D9200, Stellia so that should let you know that they weren't for me. Maybe you are right about Russia, and probably are. It is a big world out there.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #9,672 of 10,023
My take on the long times to sell Kennerton, and perhaps other brands of headphones may be due to the fact that headphone enthusiasts are a relatively small community. That and the worsening economy here in the US and worldwide. The cost of living has risen considerably since Covid started and reduced discretionary income.
Correct the economy here has dramatically declined here over the last two years. It is the discretionary income, since inflation has made must-have items much more expensive.

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #9,673 of 10,023
The real divide, in my humble opinion, is top tier items with no local warranty vs global warranty.
That divide is BIG, and unfortunately being stuck with something that needs across-the-planet servicing hurts the selling price. For kennerton stuff, it's just about global politics hurting the economy.

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #9,674 of 10,023
Overall hifi has been selling much slower in my experience. You also have a lot of new head-fiers trying to sell headphones for way more than they have sold for on this site. Hell a few years ago I bought a Odin Mk2 with warranty on it still (which was needed as most of that model has had driver failure) for $900 and the one for sale now is $1500 LOL. You also have the huge price reduction of HIFI Man headphones and others which have made it harder to justify spending the same coin on a used item.

i like ZMF and owned a few pairs….but head-fi loves them more than I do lol. I did hear an Atrium recently and it was definitely my favorite ZMF i have heard ….but the Verite Closed vs the Rognir is no contest Rognir by a wide margin imo. I had a Verite open at the same time as the Thekk… and I was on the Thekk more often. But….ZMF is good stuff too And my wife loved the Verite.

I considered a used Rognir and almost bought one….but I decided on a new Modhouse Tungsten instead. A few days of regret of missing out on the Rognir and I looked online and One left at the USA distributor…. Well decided to finance that last set….couldnt let it get away lol.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #9,675 of 10,023
Overall hifi has been selling much slower in my experience. You also have a lot of new head-fiers trying to sell headphones for way more than they have sold for on this site. Hell a few years ago I bought a Odin Mk2 with warranty on it still (which was needed as most of that model has had driver failure) and the one for sale now is $1500 LOL. You also have the huge price reduction of HIFI Man headphones and others which have madeit harder to justify spending the same coin on a used item.

i like ZMF and owned a few pairs….but head-fi loves them more than I do lol. I did hear an Atrium recently and it was definitely my favorite ZMF i have heard ….but the Verite Closed vs the Rognir is no contest Rognir by a wide margin imo. I had a Verite open at the same time as the Thekk… and I was on the Thekk more often. But….ZMF is good stuff too And my wife loved the Verite.

I considered a used Rognir and almost bought one….but I decided on a new Modhouse Tungsten instead. A few days of regret of missing out on the Rognir and I looked online and One left at the USA distributor…. Well decided to finance that last set….couldnt let it get away lol.
I didn't like the VC either, I preferred the GH50 JM and Rognir over it. I also owned the original ZMF Ori and didn't really like that either. I haven't had a chance to try any of thier open back headphones yet. From what I've read the Aeolus would probably best fit my preferences.

I'm really interested in the Modhouse Tungsten, double sided magnet version. Though, I seem to miss every ordering window.

Personally, I found the dynamic ZMF's I've tried focused to much on the mid range. Making the mids slightly bloated compared to the highs/lows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back