Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #9,376 of 10,026
heartland dynamic vs rognir dynamic, could you compare the two?
I found Rognir Dynamic to be veeeery dark and a huge step back in technicalities compared to Rognir Planar, would expect the same with HLD.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #9,377 of 10,026
would expect the same with HLD
maybe wouldn’t?

In general, the level of HLD is at least not lower than HLP or Rognir Planar. Rognir D is crap (my opinion). HLD is the pre-top (not S-tier but A) level of dynamic headphones

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #9,378 of 10,026
Closest you can get to what a headphone on cocaine might sound like.
Nice diverse comparison.
Ever heard a HP...on LSD might sound like?

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #9,379 of 10,026
maybe wouldn’t?

In general, the level of HLD is at least not lower than HLP or Rognir Planar. Rognir D is crap (my opinion). HLD is the pre-top (not S-tier but A) level of dynamic headphones
Just noticed that my statement is quite ambiguous 😂
I’ve meant that HLD should be far superior to RD based on the impressions that I read about them and the gap would be comparably be as huge as between RP and RD.

Aug 8, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #9,380 of 10,026
Heartland impressions (revisited due to pads change)
About a week ago I posted about my disappointment about Heartland Planar (HLP).
Since then a lot has come to light and I was able to overcome the issue and now I'm delighted with them, but before you click on the Buy Now button you should read everything.

Heartland + Default ECL-01mf pads: deep (38mm) and very soft mf
As I mentioned before, for me the bass was too strong, quickly fatiguing and drowned the music. I did not like HLP at all like that.

Heartland + included ECL-03mf
Even more bass? no thanks...

Heartland + ECL-01 non-mf pads
After talking with Kennerton about my issues they suggested I try ECL-01 non-mf pads as it should relax the bass.
With these pads the HPs are like normalized, kind of balanced. they sound chill and laid back (in compression). they are enjoyable, but lack character and I don't think I would buy them for that experience. The bass and character kind of went away.

Heartland + old ECL-01mf pads: fast bouncing mf and 32mm tall
I was listening with ECL-01 non-mf and thought - it's nice, but where did the bass go? where's the fun?
I remembered I had another set of ECL-01mf pads that I got with the Rognir, not so soft, and not so deep. I decided to try them on and see if they can be the middle point of the two previous pads.

The bass came back, and now it's big, rich, enveloping but not fatiguing or painful or overpowering. Now I'm delighted by HLP. I tried to get a comment from Kennerton on this but did not get a reply as of yet.

HLP are not balanced\flat HPs, they are great for metal and extreme metal like doom and melo-death, but also wonderful and delightful with softer music such as:

They stand on their own and are not very similar to the Rognir. if you have the Rognir it won't make HLP redundant. They are both Bass HPs but they are not the same. Rognir is more intense, energetic and in your face. HLP is larger, meatier, atmospheric, dramatic (it's not laid back or slow at all).

I find HLP is not at it's best with Dream Theatre, with that type of music I want the Guitars and Vocals to shine, but HLP is bass oriented. I feel it's ill suited for that purpose.

I feel the Rognir, even as a "fun HP" is more well rounded than HLP.
When I was considering Rognir Someone here told me it will make me want to pick up an axe and smash things like a Viking, he was right. HLP is more dramatic, more awe evoking rather than energetic, it has more meat but less intense "viking energy". I'm sorry I can't put it in "Audiophile terms", I'm just a noob at this, this is the best I can do at the moment.

This is were HLP is at its best:

I don't know what to say about the whole Pads business.
Maybe I had bad luck and got problematic pads and all the rest of the pads out there are all OK. Maybe my head is weirdly shaped and I needed different pads to compensate (I think it's rather small and normal shaped). Maybe my ear shape is irregular. Maybe my hearing is extra Bass sensitive... All I know is I never has an issue and pain with any other HPs before.

As they say - YMMV. I wish I could tell you to go and get HLP, but I'm not sure what will happen with the pads and I was lucky to have alternative pads available to me, but you might not. I also know I can't take HLP off my head, in fact I'm listening with it right now.
Consider it.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #9,381 of 10,026
Aug 8, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #9,382 of 10,026
Heartland impressions (revisited due to pads change)
About a week ago I posted about my disappointment about Heartland Planar (HLP).
Since then a lot has come to light and I was able to overcome the issue and now I'm delighted with them, but before you click on the Buy Now button you should read everything.

Heartland + Default ECL-01mf pads: deep (38mm) and very soft mf
As I mentioned before, for me the bass was too strong, quickly fatiguing and drowned the music. I did not like HLP at all like that.

Heartland + included ECL-03mf
Even more bass? no thanks...

Heartland + ECL-01 non-mf pads
After talking with Kennerton about my issues they suggest I try ECL-01 non-mf pads as it should relax the bass.
With these pads the HPs are like normalized, kind of balanced. they sound chill and laid back (in compression). they are enjoyable, but lack character and I don't think I would buy them for that experience. The bass and character kind of went away.

Heartland + old ECL-01mf pads: fast bouncing mf and 32mm tall
I was listening with ECL-01 non-mf and thought - it's nice, but where did the bass go? where's the fun?
I remembered I had another set of ECL-01mf pads that I got with the Rognir, not so soft, and not so deep. I decided to try them on and see if they can be the middle point of the two previous pads.

The bass came back, and now it's big, rich, enveloping but not fatiguing or painful or overpowering. Now I'm delighted by HLP. I tried to get a comment from Kennerton on this but did not get a reply as of yet.

HLP are not balanced\flat HPs, they are great for metal and extreme metal like doom and melo-death, but also wonderful and delightful with softer music such as:

They stand on their own and are not very similar to the Rognir. if you have the Rognir it won't make HLP redundant. They are both Bass HPs but they are not the same. Rognir is more intense, energetic and in your face. HLP is larger, meatier, atmospheric, dramatic (it's not laid back or slow at all).

I find HLP is not at it's best with Dream Theatre, with that type of music I want the Guitars and Vocals to shine, but HLP is bass oriented. I feel it's ill suited for that purpose.

I feel the Rognir, even as a "fun HP" is more well rounded than HLP.
When I was considering Rognir Someone here told me it will make me want to pick up an axe and smash things like a Viking, he was right. HLP is more dramatic, more awe invoking rather than energetic, it has more meat but less intense "viking energy". I'm sorry I can't put it in "Audiophile terms", I'm just a noob at this, this is the best I can do at the moment.

This is were HLP is at its best:

I don't know what to say about the whole Pads business.
Maybe I had bad luck and got problematic pads and all the rest of the pads out there are all OK. Maybe my head is weirdly shaped and I needed different pads to compensate (I think it's rather small and normal shaped). Maybe my ear shape is irregular. Maybe my hearing is extra Bass sensitive... All I know is I never has an issue and pain with any other HPs before.

As they say - YMMV. I wish I could tell you to go and get HLP, but I'm not sure what will happen with the pads and I was lucky to have alternative pads available to me, but you might not. I also know I can't take HLP off my head, in fact I'm listening with it right now.
Consider it.

I think the pads from Rognir are the same as from HLP. I bet if you compare them than you’ll notice that HLP pads were tight and even rotate on the headphone a bit hard way, but Rognirs rotate more easily.
The thing is that pads loosen over time which results in less pressure and less bass.

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #9,383 of 10,026
I think the pads from Rognir are the same as from HLP.
the pads are not the same, the size\measurements and material are different. The mf in the HLP pads will not become more stiff\less soft with time, and their depth\size won't change 6mm.

The older ECL-01mf are not used or worn off, they are just older (made probably 3 years ago). They did not come installed on the Rognir, I just got them as part of the deal and I have never used them before.

The thing is that pads loosen over time which results in less pressure and less bass.

It is possible, who knows... But I couldn't stand it, They would have broken me and not the other way around. could be due to many factors.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #9,384 of 10,026
I have a set of Kennerton pads that came with the used Magni I purchased a while ago. Not the stock Magni pads - same size, only thicker and more plush, plus they don't have the fabric sewn on the back. I put them on my Gjallarhorn, and man what a difference. Resolution and detail went up a notch or two for sure, very noticeable. Kinda lifted that upper veil a bit. Not as dark now, went from moderate to mild. Very impressive. Now if I could only figure out which pads they are.

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #9,385 of 10,026

Kennerton Heartland Dynamic review. The other side of the same coin

DSC08433.jpg

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #9,386 of 10,026
Deleted

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #9,389 of 10,026
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #9,390 of 10,026
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back