Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 6, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #8,821 of 10,023

Lovely unit. Is that the one they call "Raspberry Jam"? I almost got one, but then a used Baltic Sea unit showed up.

Do you know what wood it's made of? So far Kennerton said the RD Dusk are European Oak and the Baltic Sea are Maple.

How are you finding the stock pads on it? For me they were too shallow, so I went (and never looked back) with ZMF universe suede or leather.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #8,822 of 10,023
Really interested in the Gjallarhorn JM Edition, being a basshead, i miss that exciting bass ^^. I was just wondering, is the JM the * mk2 * version? because it seems logical to me that it would be but i see some people adding the mk2 even with the JM already mentionned so im a bit confused. Im planning to buy one soon and just want to make sure before i order. Im interested in the MK2 ^^
Nope, Kennerton ones are MK1, if you want the latest upgrade you need to send them to John.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #8,823 of 10,023
I originally bought a pair of Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition phones and later had John Massaria upgrade them to Mark 2 status. If you are a basshead and want bass cannons for headphones you will most certainly want the Mark 2 version. Along with greatly increased bass weight and bass dynamics you also get a somewhat more spacious and dark sound.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #8,824 of 10,023
I originally bought a pair of Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition phones and later had John Massaria upgrade them to Mark 2 status. If you are a basshead and want bass cannons for headphones you will most certainly want the Mark 2 version. Along with greatly increased bass weight and bass dynamics you also get a somewhat more spacious and dark sound.
thx alot :) thats great to know! sounds like a fun headphone for me ! Having the Auteur Classic right now, i miss that visceral feeling and punch in the bass that my first zmf provided me ( Atticus ), i was thinking about it for a bit then i came across this thread and discovered the Gjallarhorn..

I Would be really curious to know how they compare. They both are in the same price range and offer quite similar sound signature.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #8,825 of 10,023
Please also let me know how Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition compare to Rognir Dynamic. Is it worth it to switch from RD to GH50JM for metal? Very interested in GH50JM based on many positive reviews here. I feel like RD lacks some impact with heavy genres.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #8,826 of 10,023
Please also let me know how Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition compare to Rognir Dynamic. Is it worth it to switch from RD to GH50JM for metal? Very interested in GH50JM based on many positive reviews here. I feel like RD lacks some impact with heavy genres.
The RD is a bright, lean headphone with great detail and highs. The JM MK2 is a warm bassy headphone with a massive sound stage. The highs and details are better on the RD but the JM MK2 is a super fun headphone to listen to. they arre very different headphones with vastly different tunings.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #8,827 of 10,023
Cannot speak for V2, as I have V1. If V2 is the darkened version of JM V1, then I'll be sticking with V1 (though I've no doubt V2 are top notch). For me, V1 are perfectly balanced - neither dark nor bright, but wonderfully balanced across the spectrum with great dynamics and energy.

Had them fired up this morning on the voltage output of my Bakoon amp - high voltage, high power, high impact.

1120851.jpg

Feb 7, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #8,828 of 10,023
The RD is a bright, lean headphone with great detail and highs. The JM MK2 is a warm bassy headphone with a massive sound stage. The highs and details are better on the RD but the JM MK2 is a super fun headphone to listen to. they arre very different headphones with vastly different tunings.

Cannot speak for V2, as I have V1. If V2 is the darkened version of JM V1, then I'll be sticking with V1 (though I've no doubt V2 are top notch). For me, V1 are perfectly balanced - neither dark nor bright, but wonderfully balanced across the spectrum with great dynamics and energy.

Had them fired up this morning on the voltage output of my Bakoon amp - high voltage, high power, high impact.

Do you think, if I EQ it for more weight, it can be on par with the GH50JM in terms of impact and energy, and perhaps even better, as it's considered a superior HP? Or is it just going to sound bloated, and still not as powerful as the GH50JM?

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #8,829 of 10,023
Do you think, if I EQ it for more weight, it can be on par with the GH50JM in terms of impact and energy, and perhaps even better, as it's considered a superior HP? Or is it just going to sound bloated, and still not as powerful as the GH50JM?
EQ isn't going to transform one headphone into another; it's just going to modify the FR with varying levels of success/failure.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #8,830 of 10,023
If I may chime in...The GH50 MKII is darker and more bloated sounding upon first placing them on your head. After a brief listen it appears you settle in and then they sound more balanced. I felt the RD lacked a little dynamics and energy of GH50. I wouldn't say boring but it wasn't as engaging of a listen as the GH50 MKII. I only briefly listened to the MKI before I shipped it off for mods.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #8,831 of 10,023

Interesting. I would not describe my RD as bright or lean. Receiving my second unit today, so I will see if my first unit is the odd one out or perhaps the one you have.

Of course in comparison to a super-bassy headphone that statement would have to be correct.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #8,832 of 10,023
Interesting. I would not describe my RD as bright or lean. Receiving my second unit today, so I will see if my first unit is the odd one out or perhaps the one you have.

Of course in comparison to a super-bassy headphone that statement would have to be correct.
It is more of a dirrect comparison to the JM MK2. On there own I wouldn't call them lean. Just in comparison to the JM MK2 most headphones are going to sound lean.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #8,833 of 10,023
I would say the RD is best compared to the HD800s in tunning. They have very similar sound signatures overall. Nearly equal instrument seperation. The RD has livelier mids and better bass extension and impact and is a little bit warmer overall compared to the HD800s. The HD800s more focused highs, you really hear how crisp the symbols are, and a larger sound stage.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #8,834 of 10,023
Besides the sound, Gents)
Kennerton made very good looking headphones, I've got one.
Reading your posts and listening to them :)

IMG_9228.JPG
photo_2023-02-02_23-58-03.jpg

Probably, no I'm sure( or not:wink: ), there is a better sound, but having Kennerton it's always something spetial for me.
Gorgeous set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back