Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #7,666 of 10,026
listen.png

yes yes we can hardly wait to hear your impression ardbeg1975 !!!

and for those with GH40's - I finally did the mod and here is what the owner said... brief but to the point
rr.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #7,667 of 10,026
Well, I was definitely suffering from new toy fever. To be honest, although I have both the Dynamic and GH40 right now, I can’t do a head to head since I left the Dynamic at the office. Haven’t been back to the office since I got the GH40.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #7,668 of 10,026
While my D9200 has been my top closed-back for quite a while, I have truly been enjoying the Kennerton GH 50 JM Edition. I know it is not a new HP but it is an enjoyable one. I wanted to share some photos and info.

GH 50 JM Edition

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #7,669 of 10,026
While my D9200 has been my top closed-back for quite a while, I have truly been enjoying the Kennerton GH 50 JM Edition. I know it is not a new HP but it is an enjoyable one. I wanted to share some photos and info.

GH 50 JM Edition
I own and like both headphones. While the D9200 is noticeably more resolving and detailed, I've been using the GH50 more lately because of a more controlled treble and more enjoyable bass. I prefer the mids of the D9200. But the GH50 has a much better soundstage. The D9200 is lighter. But the GH50's headband is more comfortable. Both headphones are roughly in the same price range. Both headphones have room for improvement. The D9200 is a fairly balanced headphone. The GH50 is a fairly organic headphone.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #7,670 of 10,026
Just to add to the above, in the end, it comes down to what you enjoy more and what you want to spend more time with. In my case, I've been spending more time with the GH50 MKII lately. This is simply because I feel like it gives me a movie theater kind of experience, as if I am surrounded by large speakers.

I am currently listening to Trigger by Kavinsky. I love the 80s sci-fi vibe.

Apr 3, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #7,671 of 10,026
Just got those angled pads from AliExpress.
Their inner outfit have an ear-like shape along with perforation applied also to the inner side only.
Compared to the non-perforated ECL-03 I can hear a little less bass, with additional presence for highs and a tad bigger soundstage (as the pads have a bit more width I suppose).
After initial listening I can say that sound presentation became more layered and balanced - they could become my favorite ones as they are quite comfortable also.

@John Massaria do you think it worth trying remove pads own grill net to further advance in clarity maybe (while I don’t hear that they tamed anything)?
As Rognirs have their own grill installed already.CE952207-35DB-486E-9B55-0860C46CEED2.jpeg

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #7,672 of 10,026
The peroration Pads will remove bass for sure not sure if the cloth is necessary - I have played with it and removed it -found it slightly more open sounding but the biggest dynamic killer in those pads is the peroration- you could try taping the holes with black tape half way around see if it allows more bass or could mix a epoxy mix by JB Weld in black and cover each hole half way around-

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #7,673 of 10,026
Most bass, at least bass dynamics, is a pressurization and depressurization effect of bass waves. This is how a small driver used in a headphone can produce effective bass since the driver can make a big effective change in bass pressures in a small enclosed chamber of the earcups. Since pad perforations leak pressure to the outside of the earcups, the result is a loss of bass pressure which will appear as reduced bass. Achieving a good seal of the headphone pads around the ears is also an effective way to maximize bass pressures.

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #7,674 of 10,026
D0EF5DB3-AC44-4EA9-900C-6828700DAAAC.jpeg
89A36B89-730E-4D88-93A9-AF54ECBC476F.jpeg
1FED8AE6-0AD7-4CB2-B63F-2BABA0A63934.jpeg

Never thought it could get much better but I think I have achieved my ultimate pleasure combination- I never heard it so good-
Total bliss- I cant stop listening - thank you Kennerton for making this moment possible (and my newly acquired NOS Telefunken G73R paired w/Prautes) - next I am making a custom 6 outlet power strip (most power strips don't wire the outlets properly with a home run they are usually in series and that is BAD! - I want to extract every single little ounce out as I can here-

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #7,675 of 10,026
Finally removed the cloth and it helped with returning the dynamics backs.
As the peroration is applied only to inner borders it does not kill it that much, but highs are still receiving more presence.

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #7,676 of 10,026
Finally removed the cloth and it helped with returning the dynamics backs.
As the peroration is applied only to inner borders it does not kill it that much, but highs are still receiving more presence.
awesome I removed the fabric on some pads I tried too - some pads have too thick of fabric I agree - it muffles some details in those higher frequencies- nice work! on another note on my custom pads which have a very very micro thin fabric on them and for me affect the sound minimally if at all- I am still waiting for the custom pads from my supplier apparently he is experiencing same woos all suppliers are these days- delays on raw materials - I wanted to apologize to those patiently waiting for their pads

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #7,677 of 10,026

The Rognir Dynamic. Your favorite slippers​

In the middle of 2021, the Kennerton introduced their Rognir planar headphones with prismatic cutting inside the earcups allowing effective sound dispersion in the inner space of the earcups. So it was pretty logical to anticipate a dynamic model with the same technological approach to be developed and released.

And it actually happened: in December 2022, the Rognir Dynamic were released.

DSC09900.jpg

Read my full review.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #7,678 of 10,026

yes yes we can hardly wait to hear your impression ardbeg1975
Ok folks here are my very, very initial impressions of what I’m dubbing the unofficial and in no way commercialized Kennerton Vali Neoteric “JM Edition” —

As some of you may know, I have a one (and only one) headphone per driver type / open versus closed rule and my open dynamic is the above Vali Neoteric Baltic Sea. Lovely headphone but after the first week of listening to it (and acknowledging I haven’t heard the earlier Vali incarnations), I thought the mids were a bit more forward than some of the other headphones I own (perfect as variety is good) BUT the bass was too loose and inarticulate for me (others may love it stock). I didn’t even notice the treble response as the bass was distracting. So, I pinged @John Massaria to inquire about his willingness to attempt some sonic surgery akin to his excellent work on the GH 50 JM “Mk2”.

His creation arrived today and I put in several hours listening and can report that the mids remain excellent and a bit forward, the treble has great sparkle on cymbals et al. without being harsh, and the bass is nearing the same epic levels as the modded GH 50s. If the GH50s can be said to excel at “gut rumble”, the Vali Neo JMs excel at “thumpiness” so slightly different bass presentations but both still excellent. I listened to a lot of OutKast and the bass was infectious. Soundstage was not overly or artificially wide but did seem to properly expand and contract based on the particular track. The Annihilation motion picture soundtrack for example was suitably expansive in scope.

Awesome sound to match the stellar aesthetics.

I’ll defer to JM to share his impressions (as he has more listening time logged with these headphones than I do). I’ll share some more thoughts in a few weeks after I’ve done more A/B/C comparisons between the Vali, GH50 JM, and VC (and yes the VC and GH are both closed dynamics but I cheated a bit and created a “horn” category).

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #7,679 of 10,026
Ok folks here are my very, very initial impressions of what I’m dubbing the unofficial and in no way commercialized Kennerton Vali Neoteric “JM Edition” —

As some of you may know, I have a one (and only one) headphone per driver type / open versus closed rule and my open dynamic is the above Vali Neoteric Baltic Sea. Lovely headphone but after the first week of listening to it (and acknowledging I haven’t heard the earlier Vali incarnations), I thought the mids were a bit more forward than some of the other headphones I own (perfect as variety is good) BUT the bass was too loose and inarticulate for me (others may love it stock). I didn’t even notice the treble response as the bass was distracting. So, I pinged @John Massaria to inquire about his willingness to attempt some sonic surgery akin to his excellent work on the GH 50 JM “Mk2”.

His creation arrived today and I put in several hours listening and can report that the mids remain excellent and a bit forward, the treble has great sparkle on cymbals et al. without being harsh, and the bass is nearing the same epic levels as the modded GH 50s. If the GH50s can be said to excel at “gut rumble”, the Vali Neo JMs excel at “thumpiness” so slightly different bass presentations but both still excellent. I listened to a lot of OutKast and the bass was infectious. Soundstage was not overly or artificially wide but did seem to properly expand and contract based on the particular track. The Annihilation motion picture soundtrack for example was suitably expansive in scope.

Awesome sound to match the stellar aesthetics.

I’ll defer to JM to share his impressions (as he has more listening time logged with these headphones than I do). I’ll share some more thoughts in a few weeks after I’ve done more A/B/C comparisons between the Vali, GH50 JM, and VC (and yes the VC and GH are both closed dynamics but I cheated a bit and created a “horn” category).
I simply fell in love with the the Modded Vali JM Edition - everything a bit more detailed from top to bottom blends more seamlessly for me - tighter and a much more outer head sound 3d space- instruments pin point and faster articulation - I lost many hours listening to your Valis after I modded them! enjoy and cant hardly wait for more impressions-

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #7,680 of 10,026
I've watched some videos on the Rognir and it has me very interested. Does anyone know how the Rognir and Thror compare in sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back