Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #7,006 of 10,062
My humble opinion on Kennerton headphones. In short - I would go for Thror )

Kennerton_en.png
Wow, that is quite the flow chart. Is the writing up and to the left of the Thror what you think about it or is that in comparison to the Abyss? Do you know if the Thror Novel have a different tuning from the regular Thror? Or is it just a different wood design?

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #7,007 of 10,062
Could you briefly compare them?
I can tomorrow. It is late and I need to get to bed. A basic comparison would be that the Rognir has a larger sound stage and better accuracy and detail they sound more like an open back. The GH 40 has a smaller more personal sound stage with a little more aggressive bass.

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #7,009 of 10,062
Is the writing up and to the left of the Thror what you think about it or is that in comparison to the Abyss?
Сomparison to the Abyss. Text next to arrow - comparison of the corresponding headphones.

Do you know if the Thror Novel have a different tuning from the regular Thror? Or is it just a different wood design?
Kennertons make new models too fast, little chance to catch up them with careful listening ) So no experience with Novel yet.

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #7,010 of 10,062
Jan 25, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #7,013 of 10,062
Do you know if the Thror Novel have a different tuning from the regular Thror? Or is it just a different wood design?
Thror Novel has same tuning as regular Thror as stated by Kennerton for standard order however they do have an alt bass tuned model that can be requested for custom order. The Novel version seems to have a thicker size cups though.

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #7,015 of 10,062
I'll look forward to it, thanks!
First, I want to apologize cause I'm not very good at describing sound. I will try my best to compare the 2.

Comfort:

The GH 40 is more comfortable than the Rognir. Mostly due to it having stiffer pads. On the Rognir I find that the pads compress enough for my ear makes contact with the with the driver cover. Which, after about 2 hours ends up causing me to have some discomfort and mild pain on the tips of my ears.
I also prefer the non-self adjusting headband style of of the GH 40 over the self adjusting band on the Rognir. With the self adjusting headband I find that over time they slowly move down my head till pads are resting on top of my ears which adds to the discomfort I find with longer listening sessions. Though the sliding could be casued by me having long hair and a beard so the pads don't have skin to grip on.

Looks:
To me the the super dark Baltic sea blue I got looks incredible compared to the the light wood color I got the GH 40 in. The Rognir look like the more expensive and designer headphone. The GH 40 doesn't, in my opinion, look like a nearly 1k headphone. Again that could just be due to the colors I picked.

Sound Stage:
The Rognir Dynamic has a surprisingly large sound stage for a a closed back. It also stenches out in-front and behind you. It isn't HD800s massive but it competes with a lot of open back headphones in the $1k range for sound stage size. Which is incredibly impressive for a closed back that only cost $1600
The GH 40 while it does have a fair spacious sound stage, mostly to the left and right, it's not to the level of the Rognir but still impressive for a closed back.

Highs:
The Rognir has a very clean and crisp high end. Not in a peaks or harsh way. Slightly elevated and more forward presence in comparison to the GH 40.
The GH 40s highs sound slightly muted compared to the Rognir. I would say the are much more neutral and slightly recessed compared to the Rognir.

Lows:
The Rodnir has great bass speed. It doesn't reach as deep in the low end or sub-bass as TH900 or the Denon but it does still give a little of the sub bass rumble and power. It also have super clean clean tight bass in the sub and mid range some of the most precise with the best snap I have heard.
The GH 40 has much more bass presence and emphasis compared to the Rognir. With nearly the same speed and tightness as the Rognir in the mid-sub bass. even with the base boost they have the base doesn't seem to be bloated or bleed in to the mids. It does have a bit more of the sub base rumble and power but not on the same on the level as the Denon 9200s incredible sub base. The GH 40 is much closer to a Bass headphone than the Rognir would ever be.

Mids:
I don't really know how to explain mids. Just know that going from the Rognir to the Gh 40 is like you turned the mids down as all the way. The Rognir is truly incredible in the mid range. Not saying that the GH 40 is bad it just sounds so muted and recessed compared to the Rognir. The mids on the Rognir are lively, energetic, and exciting to listen to. On the GH 40 they seem to fall flat with little nothing remarkable about them. If you haven't just gone from the Rognir to the GH 40, the GH 40s mids are fine and non offensive I would say they are great for the price. Its just a crazy jump between them.

Precision:
Both headphones are great at separating instruments with out making them sound like they are all being played in a big pile. They are both great at adding distance to the instruments to left and the right of your head. Making it so each indavidual insturument is being played from a different distance from you. The Rognir can also put quite a bit of distance on instruments out in front of you or behind you which is something I have never experienced on a closed back. The GH 40 can put stuff a little in front or behind you but can't quite compete with the Rognir in total precision of interments placement, more or less, due to its narrow and smaller sound stage, so things that are really far away will tend to sound a little more stacked on each other compared to the Rognir.

Synopses:
Both are great headphones for there price range.
The Rognir is on the bright side of neutral. It really shines in sound stage, mids and highs it also has great precision. It has great bass speed ans snap but is a little lacking in the sub bass range. If you are a super basshead they will be lacking in total power and amount of bass. I also found them to be a little lacking in the comfort area sinc my ears come in contac with the driver housing.
The Gh 40 is on the warm side of Neutral. It shines in the bass amount and power and has a great sound stage for closed back headphone. It is much more of a bass head pair of headphones than the Rognir. Compared to the brighter rognir it can come of as a little muted especially in the mids. It is more comfortable and has better pads and a better headband compared to the Rognir.

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #7,016 of 10,062
Jan 26, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #7,017 of 10,062
Excellent information, I appreciate your time with these. Would love the Rognir Dynamic, but Don't believe I'll be spending $1600+ for them. Now it's between the GH40 and a used GH50 JM. Thank you again.
Cheers

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #7,019 of 10,062
The GH50 is like almost $1300 though. So it isn't that much cheaper than the Rognir Dynamic.
Yeah, that's why I'll be looking for a used pair of the GH50...(hopefully broken-in 😉) Closer to the GH40' price wise that is.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #7,020 of 10,062
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back