Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 27, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #5,551 of 10,026
Congratulations on your purchase, @Nostoi. I saw your ATH-AWKT advertisement and wondered which headphones you purchased... I'm interested in your Rögnir impressions with metal and to read one of your spectacular reviews about :relaxed:

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #5,553 of 10,026
Well, I fell into a K(ennerton)-hole, and got both a Gjallarhorn JM and a Wodan. Neither is burned in yet by any means but I am really loving the Wodan for jazz and the JM for hip-hop. I like them so much I may need to let my Aryas go as I don’t need this many headphones as I try to stick to one per type - closed versus open, dynamic versus planar. I arbitrarily made an exception for the Gjallarhorns because they have horns.
Related question (and please direct me elsewhere as appropriate), the horns pair very well with my Tor Audio Balanced OPT amp but that amp isn’t as good of a fit with most planars. Any suggestions on amp or DAC/amp pairing which accentuates the speed and detail retrieval (for Jazz for example) of the Wodan? I’m currently using a Lyr 3 + Bifrost 2 with the Wodan but curious on next level suggestions (if any)? Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #5,555 of 10,026
I'm interested in knowing how they stack up to your closed-back gang. Do let us know when you get them and what your impressions are!

Congratulations on your purchase, @Nostoi. I saw your ATH-AWKT advertisement and wondered which headphones you purchased... I'm interested in your Rögnir impressions with metal and to read one of your spectacular reviews about :relaxed:

Thanks, gents; will be happy to let you know my impression when they arrive.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #5,556 of 10,026
Thanks, gents; will be happy to let you know my impression when they arrive.
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Rögnir.

Our sonic preferences may not run parallel with one another, but we share a broad overlap in TOTL closed-back headphones that are either owned or auditioned. Thus, your descriptions of the sound of a variety of headphones are closely aligned with my own.

By the way, what's the choice of wood on your Rögnir? :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #5,558 of 10,026
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Rögnir.

Our sonic preferences may not run parallel with one another, but we share a broad overlap in TOTL closed-back headphones that are either owned or auditioned. Thus, your descriptions of the sound of a variety of headphones are closely aligned with my own.

By the way, what's the choice of wood on your Rögnir? :)
Thank you, sir. :smile_phones:

Yes, true - whereas you're more an EDM guy and I'm more a Dokken guy, TOTL closed-backs are very much a common bond between us. And certainly your impressions here pushed me to this fateful choice!

Well, the choice was limited for the Rögnir because they came from a user here (given that they're presently unavailable to buy) but the wood is dark coffee. To be honest, they all look glorious. The only one I'm not so keen on is purple, but that's a question of taste.

In any case, the particular variant of dark beech coffee looks good to me.

_DSC1255.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #5,561 of 10,026
Thank you, sir. :smile_phones:

Yes, true - whereas you're more an EDM guy and I'm more a Dokken guy, TOTL closed-backs are very much a common bond between us. And certainly your impressions here pushed me to this fateful choice!

Well, the choice was limited for the Rögnir because they came from a user here (given that they're presently unavailable to buy) but the wood is dark coffee. To be honest, they all look glorious. The only one I'm not so keen on is purple, but that's a question of taste.

In any case, the particular variant of dark beech coffee looks good to me.

_DSC1255.JPG
These dark coffee cups look really close in shade and pattern to the bog oak ones. Nice! Enjoy your new cans, mate! :)

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #5,562 of 10,026
over the past year I’ve been hunting down headphones that suit my personal preference. Hard task; I’ll love something for a month or two and then turn my back on it…. I had the Audeze LCD X, Audeze MX4, Hifiman 1000 mk II, Jade II, 6’s, 560, Focal Elear, Celestee, Koss 95X, Grado Hemp (nice fun set), Sennheiser 650 and have listened to Sennheiser 800S, all top end Audeze, Focal, etc. I won’t go into the iems I’ve bought just settled on four custom JH Audio Layla’s (with about 6 hours of tweaking the molds), Thieaudio Monarch, See Audio Yume and Tanchjim Oxygen . I kept the Koss 95X, Grado Hemp (both are inexpensive not worth selling and good enough), all the rest are gone. I’ve read the reviews, seen the goofy rankings and reviewed measurement. I bought The 4th set sold of the LSA HP Diamonds with both sets of pads and some aftermarket XLR cables. This is the first set of phones that have made me restructure my system, I just bought the Flux Labs FA 22 amp, a M2tech Young III with the Van Der Graaf power supply and the IFI streamer after I recover I’ll probably get the Rognir and the M2tech headphone amp. The reason I lost my mind was the clarity, speed and bass texture associated with the Diamonds. Better than anything I’ve heard to date and that’s initially using my Topping A30 Pro, ZDT Jr tube amp into my Wadia Di322 (fantastically powerful Dac). Don’t let anyone tell you these are bass light they are accurate and bass texture and resolution is fantastic. I’m a sax man and listening to well recorded sax music I can hear the tone of my beloved Selmer Mk VI versus Yamaha and others.
Well all the new gear will be in next week, just figured I’d rejoin the conversation…

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #5,563 of 10,026
over the past year I’ve been hunting down headphones that suit my personal preference. Hard task; I’ll love something for a month or two and then turn my back on it…. I had the Audeze LCD X, Audeze MX4, Hifiman 1000 mk II, Jade II, 6’s, 560, Focal Elear, Celestee, Koss 95X, Grado Hemp (nice fun set), Sennheiser 650 and have listened to Sennheiser 800S, all top end Audeze, Focal, etc. I won’t go into the iems I’ve bought just settled on four custom JH Audio Layla’s (with about 6 hours of tweaking the molds), Thieaudio Monarch, See Audio Yume and Tanchjim Oxygen . I kept the Koss 95X, Grado Hemp (both are inexpensive not worth selling and good enough), all the rest are gone. I’ve read the reviews, seen the goofy rankings and reviewed measurement. I bought The 4th set sold of the LSA HP Diamonds with both sets of pads and some aftermarket XLR cables. This is the first set of phones that have made me restructure my system, I just bought the Flux Labs FA 22 amp, a M2tech Young III with the Van Der Graaf power supply and the IFI streamer after I recover I’ll probably get the Rognir and the M2tech headphone amp. The reason I lost my mind was the clarity, speed and bass texture associated with the Diamonds. Better than anything I’ve heard to date and that’s initially using my Topping A30 Pro, ZDT Jr tube amp into my Wadia Di322 (fantastically powerful Dac). Don’t let anyone tell you these are bass light they are accurate and bass texture and resolution is fantastic. I’m a sax man and listening to well recorded sax music I can hear the tone of my beloved Selmer Mk VI versus Yamaha and others.
Well all the new gear will be in next week, just figured I’d rejoin the conversation…
Hello. thank you for describing your experience. what is the difference between ecl-01 and 02 ear pads, what did you experience? which ear pad has as good texture and resolution for the deep as you wrote? may i ask why you chose diamond instead of wodan?

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #5,564 of 10,026
Hello. thank you for describing your experience. what is the difference between ecl-01 and 02 ear pads, what did you experience? which ear pad has as good texture and resolution for the deep as you wrote? may i ask why you chose diamond instead of woda

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #5,565 of 10,026
On the LSA Diamonds the difference between pads is not that significant. you get a couple db increase in mid and sub bass, all else remains the same. I listened to several tracks with lower register piano, kick drum and bass guitar. I could hear some bass lift, more importantly you differentiate between the instruments and they don’t appear cluttered or lumped together. I will learn how well they scale when my new equipment comes in…They are as accurate a headphone as I have heard without the fatigue that accompanies headphones with their extension. Of course when I referred to speed I’m talking about upper frequencies.
I bought the HP Diamonds based on my conversation with Walter and the trade he gave me on some Focal Celestee headphones I did not like.
sometimes I impulse buy based on what I read, never on someone’s ranking system, sometimes though on a review that makes sense to me. For instance Crinacle who has a large following trashed the Kennerton’s, especially the Thror’s which I ignore, it’s his ears and his measuremen tools. There also seems to be inconsistencies in the ranking, but it is a good reference to see what is available, so when I found out Kennerton made the LSA hp’s I called Walter and spoke to him for at least :20 minutes and made the purchase. I’m glad I did…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back