Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 13, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #3,752 of 10,026
Which do you think is better for rock or metal music and more forgiving? The GH or the Magni? Reading the @John Massaria review ans his conclusions, I think is the Magni... That "Baltic sea" version temps me... Maybe at the end of this month... :relieved:

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,753 of 10,026
I have no self esteem modding stuff but yeah it all went fine. Now bending the headband like beckham seems trickier

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #3,754 of 10,026
Yes, I knew when I wrote... But that's the fun about... the double sense :wink:
No worries, buddy! The double entendre was hilarious! :wink:

Which do you think is better for rock or metal music and more forgiving? The GH or the Magni? Reading the @John Massaria review ans his conclusions, I think is the Magni... That "Baltic sea" version temps me... Maybe at the end of this month... :relieved:
Well, I can only help you with the Gjallarhorn, once I receive my unit. In any case, I am eagerly awaiting its arrival - it's my first blind purchase in quite some time. I am feeling a (good) blend of excitement and anxiety. :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,755 of 10,026

Well, I can only help you with the Gjallarhorn, once I receive my unit. In any case, I am eagerly awaiting its arrival - it's my first blind purchase in quite some time. I am feeling a (good) blend of excitement and anxiety. :)
All my purchases (even my Topre keyboards) had to be blind... I trust in all of you to help with my purchases... I use the reviews as a guide but never enterely trust in them. I prefer to see different opinions for "real people" in a forum.

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3,756 of 10,026
All my purchases (even my Topre keyboards) had to be blind... I trust in all of you to help with my purchases... I use the reviews as a guide but never enterely trust in them. I prefer to see different opinions for "real people" in a forum.
Yeah, I can understand how it is to go into something blind - it's both exciting, yet scary. The fear that your purchase may turn out to be a huge dud is only too real.

In any case, I'll try to help as best I can. I'll let you know once the Gjallarhorn arrives, and once I'm able to clock some decent head time with them. :)

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #3,757 of 10,026
It's with great pleasure to share with all who have been following the saga, this review and interior pictorial breakdown of the latest Kennerton headphone I plan on adding to the review as lock downs get more crazy with COVID19 again- but for now, I can honestly say this Kennerton production GH50 JM Edition beats my original modded version of the GH50 topping my list for all time favorite headphone ever- meeting all the marks for me- easy to drive, easy to listen to, comfortable, bass is so dang tight! engaging and detailed even wet when the recording has it-so toe tapping musical, and a joy to look at and own - doesnt need balanced power but does like a quality powered amp and dac - - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ke...ation-horn-graphine-closed-back.24769/reviews

IMG_4737.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,758 of 10,026

My vote would be for the magni rev1 which I have. It has the Gjallarhorn JM beaten! May be alone on this one :D

Spent some time with the new pads on my Magni. Can´t A-B it just take to long and it´s such a small difference it would probably make me crazy. I would have worn out the earpads so they don´t seal around the rings anyway. But thus they surely haven´t broken the Magni nearly perfect balance.

Take this with a giant pinch of salt but It does take a step toward the GH-50 balance maybe 25 % towards it or something. Or perhaps less so. I believe the pads are like 1 mm thicker. appear so when having them side by side. Max 1 mm thicker. Crazy but that does appear to have some impact. They give a fraaaaaaction wider soundstage if I would have to guess! This is both a pro and a con but on my tube amp it does never sound to thin and it´s perfectly good listen also on my thx 789 which does all it can to increase soundstage size on all my headphones so they will stay for now. But like before this would rank lower then my Trafomatic Head One and my RME ADI-2 for the Magni in synergy.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #3,759 of 10,026
My vote would be for the magni rev1 which I have. It has the Gjallarhorn JM beaten! May be alone on this one :D

Spent some time with the new pads on my Magni. Can´t A-B it just take to long and it´s such a small difference it would probably make me crazy. I would have worn out the earpads so they don´t seal around the rings anyway. But thus they surely haven´t broken the Magni nearly perfect balance.

Take this with a giant pinch of salt but It does take a step toward the GH-50 balance maybe 25 % towards it or something. Or perhaps less so. I believe the pads are like 1 mm thicker. appear so when having them side by side. Max 1 mm thicker. Crazy but that does appear to have some impact. They give a fraaaaaaction wider soundstage if I would have to guess! This is both a pro and a con but on my tube amp it does never sound to thin and it´s perfectly good listen also on my thx 789 which does all it can to increase soundstage size on all my headphones so they will stay for now. But like before this would rank lower then my Trafomatic Head One and my RME ADI-2 for the Magni in synergy.
Let me wet my feet with the Gjallarhorn first; if I like what I hear, who knows, this might be the start of a new journey with another audio company. :wink:

In any case, I haven't received any shipping notice yet - it's been 5 days. I gather that they've been swamped with a ton of orders on 11.11, so I'll just hold off a bit before I contact Kennerton. As you can tell, I am very eager to take receipt of my Gjallarhorn! :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,760 of 10,026

Can I ask have you a very tight seal on GH50? I had to bend the metal bands to get it there- for me the Magni is an excellent HP but you know my fav is GH50JM once I fit them on tight. The band is key for tight seal and bass- sound stage and everything related to sound.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #3,761 of 10,026
Can I ask have you a very tight seal on GH50? I had to bend the metal bands to get it there- for me the Magni is an excellent HP but you know my fav is GH50JM once I fit them on tight. The band is key for tight seal and bass- sound stage and everything related to sound.

Yes I really understand why you constantly talk about increasing clamping force. Not sure it´s so much about seal but getting the driver closer and maybe get less cavity inside the cups as well so the sound get a bit richer with less air to fill? But yes for me it really does sound a lot better with the earpads really inflated like you have low tire pressure. Flat tire is to much but that is still kind of interesting. Magni for me seem to do the low pressure tire in stock config already but with the new earpads perhaps a tad less. But they are newer so they may get as flat as the stock magnis with time.

I have made some attempt with my magni bending it but it just requires so much force I didn´t feel comfortable. Not sure if there is some nice trick to it.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #3,762 of 10,026
you can gently push the ear cups in very slowly of course so not to cause air pressure on driver- and see if a tighter fit works to sound better- hold it there as your hands maintain equal pressure- listen and see if a tighter fit might help. You can also try switching the ear pads from Magni to GH50? IDK which pads u have- but try that too...
and if you feel the bend on metal may help as well, you can remove cups one screw on each end- and simply bend like so -
d.jpg

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,763 of 10,026
you can gently push the ear cups in very slowly of course so not to cause air pressure on driver- and see if a tighter fit works to sound better- hold it there as your hands maintain equal pressure- listen and see if a tighter fit might help. You can also try switching the ear pads from Magni to GH50? IDK which pads u have- but try that too...
and if you feel the bend on metal may help as well, you can remove cups one screw on each end- and simply bend like so -
d.jpg
Yeah that is what I have done :)

I didn´t try the magni pads on the gh-50 though as I am returning it so fiddle with it as little as possible. I bought them for my Magni instead.
May try removing the earcups if it make it easier to bend the headband further.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #3,764 of 10,026
Okay I removed the headband and bend it like crazy. May got a bit more clampling force not sure will see what headaches this gives me. I could not make any such bend you got you must worked yours a lot. Tube amp warmed up now and it sound good. I am no modder nice to stop this madness and just enjoy music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back