Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 13, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #226 of 10,121
Just ordered the Odin (for the old price
wink.gif
) from Germany after all the great reviews from our french friends. I hope I will get them in 4-6 weeks. I see no risk because I´ll pay when the dealer gets them from Russia.
I hope they will complete my LCD-3F for classical music etc (or maybe I will not have use of the LCD-3 anymore, who knows?). Nice that I can use the same cable (Toxic Silver Widow) as for the LCD-3.

Hi,

Have you already received your Odin ?
As you, I ordered mine early August.
According to the French distributor, my Odin has just been shipped from Saint Petersbourg (Russia) yesterday; imminent reception.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178658652.html#p178658652

Eric

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #227 of 10,121

Hi,

Have you already received your Odin ? 
As you, I ordered mine early August.
According to the French distributor, my Odin has just been shipped from Saint Petersbourg (Russia) yesterday; imminent reception.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178658652.html#p178658652

Eric

No, I cancelled my order. I doubt if the German distributor will get an Odin this year. But I am really looking forward to read about your experiences with the Odin. I will do the Anax modification for my HD800 while I wait what I want to do next.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #228 of 10,121
No, I cancelled my order. I doubt if the German distributor will get an Odin this year. But I am really looking forward to read about your experiences with the Odin. I will do the Anax modification for my HD800 while I wait what I want to do next.

Perhaps it is (for the Odin) only a postponement?
wink.gif

For me, acquisition of the Odin, I admit, it's a gamble based on the experiences of other testers of the Odin and competitors headphones.

Dub (a very experienced guys in headphones) much prefer the Odin to the HE-6 and the HD-800.

On the other hand, Sorrodje, dissuaded me to go on the side of the HE-1000 ; HE-1000 does not have its favor in his eyes compared to the HE-6 and HD-800 (see attached review :http://www.tellementnomade.org/feedback-hifiman-he-1000-beta/ ); Frédéric (superfred 21) does not like the HE-1000 and prefer, as you know, the Odin ...

The last French tester, after some criticism on the ergonomics of the Odin (partly resolved, in particular about the too large size (for certain heads) of the headband of the Odin), the sound was for him very good ; it was going further than the LCD-X (see link : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178657491.html#p178657491)

Eric

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #229 of 10,121
  HE-X's price point not announced (estimates from $1.5-$2k). I would view it extremely highly from a performance-price standpoint (basically 5/5) if priced anywhere in the $1.2-$1.5 range. Above that, $1.6-1.7 would be still be solid (4.5/5) as I see it beating out the LCD-X and Ether that play in that price range (of course always depending on personal preferences). at $2 or higher, hard to say & not sure anymore. I would personally prefer the HE-X over the LCD-3 or any of the newcomers at the $2k price point, but I do personally view all those ~$2k or more options to be quite overpriced. Not really a price point I typically buy a$#t.

priced at $1799.
popcorn.gif
 Sounds reasonable.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #230 of 10,121
Some news to give you.

The delivery of my Odin is delayed a few days due to a blockage at the customs in St Petersburg. Headphones controls: Customs could not believe that the weight of the Odin headphones + packaging, was 5 kilos !!!
wink.gif

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178663294.html#p178663294

Otherwise, as soon as I receive my Odin, and after a "burn-in" minimum, I will finally compare my Odin with 3 headphones, on the same "universal" amplifier (the AudioValve Luminare) and these three operating modes: Impedancer / OTL / Stax:

Odin Vs Audeze LCD-3F (mine)
Odin Vs Sennheiser HD-800 (stock) (the one I gave to my brother)
Odin Vs Stax 007 mk2 mod (blocked vent) (other headphone I gave to my brother)

(Nb: my 009 was sold to a friend, because, in practice, I listened my (ex) 009 less often than my loved LCD3-F, that I find nicer (less boring in the long run) to listen)

to be continued ...

PS :

Waiting the Star (for compare) : Russian Tsar K. Odin !

Edit one: [size=24.57px]CGRR - Can Jam Denver 2015 [/size](by Frederic (Superfred 21))

Link for Frederic's review (CanJam in Denver) http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178666257.html#p178666257 (in French)

OK: Kennerton Odin is not terrible at presentation in Denver in this configuration ; a problem somewhere? (*)

We are far from the great review of Frederic (Superfred21) about the K. Odin, earlier in this thread, with the Viva Egoista 845 as amp ...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new...les-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/90#post_11802452

(*) Proper implementation; ie, good amplifier and good source, with the Kennerton Odin = great sound ; poor implementation with the Kennerton Odin (if it is use with a bad amplifier and / or a poor source) = bad sound.
(Nb: furthermore, the quality of the bass of the Kennerton Odin is highly dependent on the amplifier : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178666776.html#p178666776 )

Otherwise, here is a last testimony of the K. Odin listened with these two amps (Aurorasound Heada and RudiStor RP8K-VT), compared with an intra, high-end, Noble Audio K10 CIEM.
http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345906#p345906 (in french)

Edit two: Good news ; after a week of detention, by customs in St Petersburg of Odins ordered in France, the Russian customs released the Odins. Expected receipt of my Odin by the end of next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit three: two perfect instruments?

(Nb: I expect a lot from my future Odin for listening to the piano ; I love the piano ; my mother has a Bösendorfer 200; I hope that the Odin will correctly render the sound of this piano of exception)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #238 of 10,121
Translation: They fit alright (and look nice in the images). Looking forward to sound impressions.
beerchug.gif

I would try to think about it (listen to these two (or three) headphones)
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is a try of translation of my first impressions (gave on HCFR) of the listening of my new headphone Odin (NB: no burn-in) compared to my loved LCD3F and my (ex) SR-009, on the Luminare amplifier.
(original post: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178678504.html#p178678504 )

" Otherwise, after a photo shoot, I'm starting honing (burn-in) of the Odin.

First listening to the Odin this morning, very encouraging; listening to the Odin is quite different from the LCD3F, and I would say that it is complementary.

At first sight (listening), by memory, listening to the Odin is closer to that of my ex SR-009 than to that of the LCD3F, by his very great clarity and the resolution.

I will say that Odin is a kind of SR-009 supercharged (for the dynamics) (NB: listen of Stromae, for example) with a more credible tone and timbre more natural and plausible than those of 009, even if for the moment the Odin is a little less subtle than the 009.

There are many dynamics and impact with the Odin, much more than the SR-009, but also the LCD3F (soft, and less vivid and fast than the Odin)
In the absence of burn-in, the medium and the high-mid of Odin are slightly forward (as the SR-009), sometimes a little vivid.
For me the bass and treble of the Odin are perfect (somewhat indented compared to the mids; It just lack (for my old ears) a little of level in the sub-bass and extreme-treble.
The speed of the Odin is impressive, it seems even better than the 009 (in memory, a bit more relaxed and soft) and of course than that of the LCD3F (very relaxed and a bit slow).
Compared with the 009, the transparency of the Odin could be even better.
At this stage (of not honing (no burn-in) of the Odin), the 009 is also detailed, but softer, less dynamic, a little more extended in extreme-treble and also a little more transparent than Odin.

The timbres (tone) of the Odin are stunning of natural and veracity; they are more real and natural than the 009 (very air, but a little thin and a bit artificial) and those of the LCD3F, thicker in the bass and the mids and more flowery ; this thickness of bass and midds, of the LCD3F, corresponds to a colour particularly pleasant to hear sound, but by comparison with the Odin, this sound coloration, causes a distorsion of the quality of timbres (tone), least realistic and credible than those of the Odin, in particular for reproduction of voices or instruments (such as the piano and violin) that sound more "real" with the Odin.

It will probably take that I am revising my judgment of the Odin versus my other headphones after a few dozen hours of burn-in.

Otherwise, listening to the Odin is made in the "OTL mode" of my Luminare amp (NB: background noise in silences is very tolerable): this is this (OTL) mode that gives the most dynamic, life and transparency to the Odin, although this is sometimes at the price of a certain greenness in the mids (at least at this stage of not honing (burn-in) of the Odin). (Nb: the "transformer mode" (of the Luminare amp) is wiser: less dynamic sound, more sweet, flatter, less living or having less character).

Win a little sweetness, even more fluidity in the timbres, and even further extension in the extreme-treble (for approximating the 009 qualities in these areas), that's what I hope to achieve with the honing (burn-in) of the Odin.

Otherwise, to finish in my first impressions, the soundstage of the Odin is good by its precision, but not especially large; It is a bit like that of the 009; maybe even a little less wide; the soundstage of the LCD3F in comparison is softer, less chiseled, just as wide, but more intimate, softer. "

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #239 of 10,121
Hello,

Some interesting comments on the Odins freshly received in France (in French
wink.gif
)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...rton-fischer-audio-inside-t30059943-1980.html
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...rton-fischer-audio-inside-t30059943-1995.html

If I summarize my first impressions on the Odin, combined with those of other users of the Odin freshly acquired (including the impressions of dub, sebbs...), I would say for the Odin:

STRENGTHS:
- Natural and realism of the timbres (tone) of voices and instruments, especially in a critical frequency register for the hearing: the mids and upper-mids, but I will say also, the bass (fast, detailed) and treble (both detailed, accurate, and soft).
- Speed of sound, very impressive (at least equal to that of the 009)
- Precision of the sound details (similar to that of the 009)
- Fineness of the sound (close to that of the 009)
- Dynamic and impact of bass (much better than the 009 and to a lesser extent than the LCD3-F; probably quite close to that of the Abyss according to some accounts, but without the extension in the Abyss sub bass).
- Precision of the soundstage (very precise placement of instruments and voices, very well focused and chiseled; better than with the 009; much better than with the LCD3F), but with an average width of the soundstage (less wide than that of 009/007 and much less wide than the HD-800/Abyss and the K1000).
- Ease of amplification (Odin is more sensitive than the LCD3F and the HD 800 headphones), even if the final result depends on the quality of the amplifier; best is the amp (qualitatively), better will be the result.
- Finish: exemplary; everything is metal-wood-leather and breathes solidity and quality of manufacture. I put it on the same level that for the LCD3F and the 009, that is to say, among the best) (with the exception of the cable of the Odin, which remains however a little best after comparison with the (cheap) LCD3F cable).

WEAKNESSES:
- Opening and aeration are perfectible ; width and depth of the sound stage are limited (however comparable to that of the LCD3F).
- Small lack of level in the sub bass and the extreme-treble (everything is relative, compared to the Abyss and the 009).
- Transparency that can still be improved (versus the 009).
- Adjustment of the headphone (to be reasonably comfortable): allow 1 hour to resolve properly the adjustment (NB: the game worth the candle).

ON THE FENCE:
- Comfort (once well set): quite acceptable, comparable, and perhaps a little better than that of the LCD3F (NB: hot spot on the top of the skull at the end of 1 hour 30 minutes, with the LCD3F and only after 4 hours with the Odin).
- Price (same price in France (with the French tax 20%) than the LCD3F).
Odin is relatively expensive compared to the Hd-800 and the HE-6, but it is also better.
Compared with the best headphones currently on the market, it remains a "good deal" (everything is relative) compared with the 009 (taking into account the price of the specific amplification for electrostatic headphones) and compared to the Abyss.

TO CONCLUDE: odin is an excellent "generalist" headphones, quite at ease as well in modern and classical music, that for intimate music or, instead, unbridled music, with, for my appreciation, two or three strong points: the exceptional natural and realism of the timbre of the voices and instruments; the precision of the soundstage (very good focus of the voices and instruments), even if limited in width; and finally the dynamics and speed of the bass, while maintaining a great sweetness of the treble.

Photos of Kennerton Odin, at home, in artificial light (evening) and natural light (day)

Edit: Comparative listening of the Odin Vs HD-800, SR-007mk2 (mod.) and LCD3F headphones.

Link (in french): http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178682476.html#p178682476

Edit two: About sensitivity of the Kennerton Odin (in voltage): Odin (40 Ohm) is more sensitive (approximately 6 dB more, measured with my sonometer) than the LCD3F (110 Ohm), for listening on an amp, for a given position of the volume knob.

Edit three: Soon a new amplifier for my both headphones, LCD3F and Odin ; a amplifier more suitable to the high sensitivity of the Odin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #240 of 10,121
What amplifier (of quality) choose to make it sound at best with the Kennerton Odin ?

Even if the Odin (40 Ohms) has excellent sensitivity for a planar headphone (officially 104 dB / 1 mW) (actually 6 dB (*) in more compared with the Audeze LCD3F (110 Ohms), for a given position of the amplifier volume knob) (*)(measured with pink noise with my sonometer) and that it may be satisfied with a single Iphone or better yet a quality DAP as the Astell & Kern AK240, a sedentary quality amplifier seems preferable for exploit at best the full potential of this great headphones (one of the best currently in the market).

With the Odin, very sensitive headphone, an amplifier of only one Watt of power is widely enough to obtain the sound with a sufficient level; but the "raw" power is not the most important for make sing at best the Odin.

For example, the amplifier used in the last CanJam with the Odin, the SPL Phonitor, certainly powerful, was not the best combination for the Kennerton Odin, with mids that seemed a little dry, and with treble tough ; this amplifier lacking sweetness and musicality, for perfectly make sing the Odin.

Another example: my amplifier AudioValve Luminare in OTL mode (best in this mode), very impressive with the HE-6 and the Abyss, is certainly powerful and excellent with Odin, but suffers from a too high gain (32 dB) wich is responsible for a hum in the silences, embarrassing, for a headphone as sensitive as Odin.

To have a fully optimized amplifier to exploit the full potential of the Odin (very big and gratifying), I just ordered an new amplifier for my new Odin, with a more reasonable price than the dream amplifiers that operate "perfectly" with the Kennerton Odin (and also the Abyss): the Viva Egoista 845 and Viva 2A3 amps.

My future amplifier for the Odin is part of this list of amps which I consider to be among the best choices possible for the Kennerton Odin:
- Moon Audio Neo HA 430 (transistor)
- Prautes Cypher Labs (tubes)
- Rudistor RP8K-VT (hybrid)
- Audeze "The King" (hybrid)

All these amps are, a priori, excellent and perfect to drive, with a great musicality, both my Kennerton Odin, but also my Audeze LCD3F (which I keep because of his sound different (when compared of the Odin), more casual).

In a few days you will know the choice of the lucky amplifier selected for my two beloved headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

(with pics)

To be continued ...

Edit: (for info)

Several things to tell you;

My chosen amp (for the Odin & LCD3F headphones) will arrive next thursday (November 19)
All I can say is that it costs, this amp, less than 4 K (Euros tax included) and that it is either Italian or Canadian.

Otherwise, here, a comparative listening of the Odin on the two Viva amps (845 and 2A3) (for those interested)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178694551.html#p178694551

Otherwise, In a few weeks, at least two users of the headphones Kennerton Odin will be able to compare, at home, the Odin with the HE-1000, the HE-X, and ... the LCD-4 !!! (on loan)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178694533.html#p178694533

To be continued ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back