Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 5, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #212 of 10,116
  atleast the odin didnt use hifiman parts

at the french forum they compared the parts of the Odin with the Hek and i must say that sound aside the quality is not in the HEK camp...evidently the adjustment part and design its another matter....But the quality of construction seems to be in the Odin camp... Another important matter is with what  gear are they listen to...i will wait for serious review...
atsmile.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #213 of 10,116
  extraordinary dismissive  view at the opposite of the French school 

Sorry but there's not such a think like "french school" . HCFR is only a headphone section of one website where debates are mostly centerered around a shop and his clients and friends. THey mostly share some impressions about stuff the shop sells.  And the shop is the French Kennerton Dealer.  

BTW, some ears I trust ( Dub, Superfred21, ONy38 ) heard and liked the Odin so i'm a bit puzzled to read so many different impressions.  I probably should borrow one and make my own opinion. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #214 of 10,116
I will definitely attest to the adjustment mechanism.
In fact I could not tight it up again when I was done adjusting...
Worst. Adjustment. Ever.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #215 of 10,116

extraordinary dismissive  view at the opposite of the French school 

Sorry but there's not such a think like "french school" . HCFR is only a headphone section of one website where debates are mostly centerered around a shop and his clients and friends. THey mostly share some impressions about stuff the shop sells.  And the shop is the French Kennerton Dealer.  

BTW, some ears I trust ( Dub, Superfred21, ONy38 ) heard and liked the Odin so i'm a bit puzzled to read so many different impressions.  I probably should borrow one and make my own opinion. 

There is certainly NO "french school" at all — maybe "friends": if one considers "friends" people who know each others only via fora, and not IRL. You and me, for example, live some 75 miles from each other but we never met (my bad, my fault, I confess!)… And there's at least one or too persons, I mean or example Oliv009 (http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178617493.html#p178617493) and Yacine60180, who happened to be critical with the Odin. I do know a little bit then french Kennerton dealer, although I never bought him any headphones (I just had my H800 re-cabled by him a few years ago). 

To clarify this point: Pierre Paya (http://www.casques-headphones.com/index) is, to my knowledge, the only dealer who accept to loan freely — without even any caution — headphones of all prices, that with no condition except to ship it back after trying it of course (I happen to try some headphones, namely the AKG K812 and a Ultrasone, via german seller thomann.de, when I was considering the possibility tu buy one of them, but had to pay it then being refund). This way, I had the possibility to try the Abyss at home (i.e. on my own gears). Second trial was for the Chroma M2 (rudistor). And third one with the Kennerton Odin: I asked for it, knowing nothing of Kennerton, and only because it was announced to be a planar (I have interest for that kind of headphones). Each time I clearly stated I was not able to buy anything, even in his used equipment pages.

And I don't either know superfred or sebbs, etc., or in fact anyone else who had a try with the Odin (neither ony38: is he only on TN?), except via fora. That is to say: when impressions concords, I doubt there's any reason of that with friendship or mutual influence. I'm not even sure I'm really impress by the cost or money question: I had some trials with expansives headphones (Audio Technica, Ultrasone, Grado, for exemple), that I didn't like, or others that I didn't like enough (Stax, Audeze, Beyer T1) to consider possibility of purchase — in some other cases (AKG K1000, Ergo AMT, HD800,  Jecklin Float PS, HE6, I had to wait to find it, in used equipment for the most part)…

Concerning the Odin, I was enthusiastic and surely continue to be; and I think that people considering the purchase of (expansive) planar headphones should have try with then before making a decision — to keep prices on the line, between Hifiman HE1000, Stax, Audeze LCD-3 and X etc…

b.r. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #216 of 10,116
I will definitely attest to the adjustment mechanism.
In fact I could not tight it up again when I was done adjusting...
Worst. Adjustment. Ever.

The Odin headphones was too big for your head? If so, the French distributor has found a control solution for all head sizes (see the French forum). Do not also forget that the pads can be rotatable, for a better fit.
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178648758.html#p178648758

Otherwise, no specific complaint on this tester Head-Fi
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779242/can...ons-thread-august-29-30-2015/45#post_11876929

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #217 of 10,116
General Planar Magnetic Follow-Up

feel free to agree or disagree with my opinions. they are just meet condition impressions. take it however you like. large helping of salt recommended! =) I was just teasing with the french comment (I seriously trust @Sorrodje's impressions with my life though I've never met him just based on his well-articulated insightful posts on the internet! if he disagrees with me, I would say go with his impressions hahah)

some background & disclaimer: typically I prefer Hifiman over other planar brands from my personal comparisons. Currently, use the HE-1k as my main pair of headphones. Owned the LCD-X, EL-8 closed, HE-400, HE-560, HE-1k, PM-1, PM-3, Alpha Prime, Ether open. Prefer the LCD-X over the LCD-3. Prefer the HE-560 over the LCD-X. PM-1 weakest planar flagship imo, but at the right price point for certain tastes can be very appealing (hence PM-2 can be a very good option for some). PM-3 is the strongest closed planar magnetic from a price:performance perspective and offers a relatively clean linear tuning imo. May no longer be the case with the new Fostex revisions though I did not spend enough time with them. Audeze headphones are all strongly colored to me. For me, the less said about the EL-8, the better. If you hear no faults with the EL-8, I don't think my impressions will be reflective of your experiences, so I strongly distrust people whose impressions of the EL-8 differ from mine. I also view the LCD-XC in a very poor light. I view Audeze headphones in general as more of a complimentary pair of headphones than a main. LCD-X and LCD-3 are the only Audeze headphones that I view to be competitive and I feel like it is a personal preference pick between those. I have audition experience with all the flagship planars on the market except the Isophones and HE-6. My priorities are sound & comfort... could really care less about looks or build quality or premium feeling (as long as it won't break on me, I'm chill).

~~~Most Impressive Planar Magnetic Flagships to Me at RMAF '15~~~

The most impressive high-end planar magnetics that I haven't heard before at the show were the audio zenith, ether closed, and he-x.

I would estimate both the audio zenith and ether closed is a bit pricey for what you get, but in comparison to the odin/lyrus audio and new LCD-4... lol. not really sure how to view performance:price anymore. Seems like there are quite a few offerings are escalating in price without bringing significantly improved sonics to the table. Odin and Lyrus are the two extreme examples of this imo. May be suitable for certain tastes and do have their own individual strengths, but do not offer a competitive overall package. They are more focused on looks and giving a premium feel rather than the sound and comfort. I disagree with those priorities. At $2k, their sound should leave no question marks. I feel like the Ether and Audio Zenith is able to achieve that at about $1.5 or less, so at $2k it should be expected.

Audio Zenith offers very solid overall tuning. Concern for me is price point. Everything else is excellent and if viewed from a perspective of the new pricing trends, it's price is competitive. Disagree that it is lacking resolution per some other people's comments, but I do think it has a slightly thicker feel which may contribute to that sense. Alex is a hilarious guy. Very passionate about what he is doing and passionate about this hobby. Very proud of his work. First time I met him.

Ether Closed is likely better than the Ether Open (at least for what I am looking for in overall sound signature tuning). Sad for me as I am trying to sell my Ether Open. Technical abilities close enough that it is hard to call in meet conditions. For those who think the Ether Open is overpriced and the HD650 is better, Ether closed will likely not impress. For those who are impressed with the Ether open, the Ether closed will be even more impressive. My only concern with them is price point. They nail everything else. With the new pricing trends, price is no longer a concern I think. Reports on Dan being hard-working is not exaggerated. He was always either talking to reps or distributors or fans. I did not see him take any real breaks. First time I met him. Very nice guy. Very business-minded guy. Very proud of his products.

HE-X's price point not announced (estimates from $1.5-$2k). I would view it extremely highly from a performance-price standpoint (basically 5/5) if priced anywhere in the $1.2-$1.5 range. Above that, $1.6-1.7 would be still be solid (4.5/5) as I see it beating out the LCD-X and Ether that play in that price range (of course always depending on personal preferences). at $2 or higher, hard to say & not sure anymore. I would personally prefer the HE-X over the LCD-3 or any of the newcomers at the $2k price point, but I do personally view all those ~$2k or more options to be quite overpriced. Not really a price point I typically buy at.

I feel that $2k or more options can always be found at discount. Hence, if considering the upcoming $2k options, I would say no rush and wait for more impressions or do your own audition. Overheard some distributors, dealers, and reps having personal discussions that suggest pricing extremely flexible to the market. Makers of these headphones will be making a huge profit regardless of whether you purchase at $2k+ or not. I would advise waiting and voting with your wallet that first time manufacturers not focusing on tonal balance and comfort should not be charging $2k+ on their products. Feel free to disagree.

Honestly, Odin is not too bad overall. Just at a $2k price point, lol really? Did not hear any technical sonic attribute or special FR tuning that commands that type of premium. Lyrus Audio's flagship definitely needs a hell of a lot more work though.

~~~Impressive Non-Flagship Planar Magnetic Offerings~~~

The impressive budget-orientated planar magnetics that I haven't heard before were the Fostex mk3 line-up. I already have great respect for the HE-400s (for its performance at that low price point, exceptional value), HE-400i, and PM-3. The T500RP did not really impress me for its price point, but I can see it competitive for mid-centric tastes if the price was a few hundred lower. I do find it funny that the greatest improvements in planar magnetics at the show were in the budget end. Also funny that the incorporation of done-before DIY mods to a really old pair of headphones by the manufacturer is the cutting edge and likely one of the most exciting things at the show at the budget-end of the spectrum. Still always good to have improvements regardless how late.

Also listened to some of ZMF's offerings at the JDS table. No one was there, so no idea which model was which. Not bad at all, but I wonder about the viability of Fostex T50RP mod based companies with the new refresh of the mk3.

I think that covers all the new planar magnetics. just some of my personal uncensored thoughts. take them for what you will. feel free to disagree, I won't be offended.

edit: lol. I totally forgot to write about the Abyss, HE-1k, & LCD-4

~~~Other Flagship-priced Planar Magnetics~~~

~~~Abyss~~~
Had the pleasure of hearing the Abyss for the first time. It turned out to be quite impressive. While not $5k-worth of impressiveness to me & my tastes, I can see their appeal now. Strength is an extremely good sense of L and R separation (probably the best that I've heard), has that almost speaker-like feeling similar to the HE-1k & perhaps even better, and a subwoofer visceral hard-hitting impactful weighty bass that was just ridiculous. I would say treble tuning would be its weakness, but can be migrated somewhat with the right amplifier pairing. The Abyss + Liquid Gold combo was extraordinary. Among the best system combos I've heard, but not really one I would buy. Listened to that combo for quite a long time & kept going back to try it again though. Has an extremely detailed presentation without being clinical/analytical in any sense with a very lush smoothness throughout. That would definitely be what I would go for if I wanted an Abyss. However, for me, I think the Stax SR-009 or Stax SR-007mk1 + BHSE would be more worthwhile for my needs if I was to spend $10k on gear. Abyss is definitely unique and special, but ultimately not really what I crave or am looking for. Developed a bit of respect for the Abyss now, and I can see why some folks deem that its crazy high asking price is worthwhile. Very unique pair of headphones. Does take quite a bit of fiddling to get the sound perfect as you actually ideally want an almost seal but not actually sealed of earcups to get the best sound. Counterintuitive and opposite of every other headphone in the world. Not worth it to me, but I can see why some folks love it. Still the pricing of the Abyss is everything that is wrong with this hobby to my eyes. A $5k pair of headphones that has treble issues unless paired with a $4k amplifier?? I dunno. seems a bit off to me.

~~~HE-1k~~~
I own these and wrote an extensive review on them in my signature. Only update is that I think the HD800 paired with a TOTL tube amplifier (ALO studio 6) probably beats out the HE-1k in L to R sound stage width. Also, Abyss has much more emphasized bass than the HE-1k with a harder attack transient and longer decays. Gives an even more visceral sensation to the Abyss and sense harder-hitting impact. A lot more reverb with the Abyss. I would still pick the HE-1k over everything else I heard even the Stax SR-009, but the Stax SR-009/SR-007mk1 were very very competitive. Likely have a different opinion if I could afford a $10k rig. On the SR-009, very different presentation to notes with a very light weightless type of sensation. Treble is unlike any other treble I've heard before. However, the differences were not as extreme as I was expecting from what I've read. I don't really view the SR-009's presentation to be more realistic, but it is certainly different with an very very nice sense of air. Notes have a light and "body-less" sensation. Very cool to try out.

Every amp/dac component table had a HE-1k set-up there. Other common options were the Ether open, Ether closed, and HD800. I do feel like those headphones are all extremely competitive and revealing of the upstream components. Lots of Audeze headphones floating around as well, but I do feel like those are less revealing with a bit of inherent coloration. Still Audeze commands a large fan base, so good for people with those tastes to be able to try out that gear. So sure, while people may hate on the Ether, HE-1k, HD800, LCD-3/X, these are the flagships that have built a reputation based on experience working through multiple previous revisions. These are the standards that we judge other gear by. Random companies with no previous headphone experience or planar magnetic experience looking for a quick buck and cashing in on growing interest in the high-end market by throwing out some half-assed effort priced above the majority of reputable long-lasting options just because the market will bear it is bad news for this hobby.

~~~LCD-4~~~
this may be the "most exciting" pair of headphones from the perspective of people not at RMAF, but not really for me. Their set-up was of unfamiliar amp/dac and also only their own source material. Did a side-by-side comparison of the LCD-X and LCD-4 with a few songs, and my personal conclusion is that I wouldn't spend the extra money, but I can see some people thinking it being worthwhile with many others rotfl.

Per white coat guy, the LCD-4 is tuned most similar to the LCD-X (which would be happy/sad news depending on your feelings of the X). He states that the LCD-4 has deeper bass extension compared to the X and tuned more linearly farther up compared to the X. I thought it was cool how white coat guy mentioned volume matching when I asked for permission to try side-by-side comparisons. White coat guy turned out to be pretty funny & cool! I like how his white coat excludes confidence and science. My mind always jumps to bacteria-breeding-grounds when I see white coats, but that is just me hahah. Audeze reps were really chill, and I like how enthusiastic white coat guy was about his LCD-4. He seemed generally very sincere about wanting feedback, but he seemed actually surprised if the feedback was not the same as his own thoughts. Very passionate about his product and I do think that he really does believe in what he is selling and that the price point is reasonable.

Per my listening comparisons with only by-ear volume matching, I would say that the X still has better bass quality than the LCD-4, and I think the LCD-4 is based more on the LCD-3. LCD-4 sounded more mid-centric to my ears compared to LCD-X. White coat guy strongly disagreed with my impressions. White coat guy also thinks LCD-X is very neutral though. I view LCD-X as quite colored, so I felt more mid-centric is a compliment since LCD-X has a bit of a recession in their upper mids and a bit of spike in the ~4 kHz and 6kHz treble region. White coat guy told me that for sure the bass on the LCD-4 is better than the LCD-X. To my ears, I thought the LCD-4s bass was definitely a touch softer in impact compared to the X. (though I recognize that the inability to do precise volume-matching can make my own impressions rather meaningless & inaccurate).

Overall, the sound signature of the LCD-4 goes away from that "traditionally associated darker house sound of Audeze," but I feel like that has been the trend ever since the fazors and the LCD-X were released. Still unmistakeable a Audeze-type tuning, so not as an extreme change as the EL-8 models were. Strikes a good balance of having less random FR coloration while still have a "Audeze" type house sound of an organic "smooth" presentation rather than a clinical/analytical presentation. Fans of the darkness of the pre-fazor LCD-2 will likely be disappointed though. I can see some folks who like the LCD-X not to see the upgrade as worthwhile. I do prefer the LCD-4 over the LCD-3, but I didn't really like the LCD-3's strongly mid-centric sound. I think the LCD-4 straddles in between the LCD-X and LCD-3, but sounds more like the LCD-3 to my ears. Likely improved treble extension as well, but difficult to tell with the tracks that were being played.

There are small, but audible improvements over the LCD-X. Sound stage improved, but likely still won't beat out the HD800. Detail resolution improved but also still probably not at that level of Sennheiser and Hifiman flagships imo. Definitely not going to be beating Stax (even though only first time I heard the Stax, I do feel extremely confident saying that). Speed improved with much better note spacing. I think that is the biggest improvement of the LCD-4 over previous generations. However, that also loses out on that bit of organic smoothening and lushness and impact that many traditionally associate with Audeze. Treble kept in control so not sharp, but likely will not be the airiest or best treble extension option that you can find. I also don't feel that it has the overall tonal & FR cohesiveness and technical abilities (in sound stage/imaging/speed) offered by the HE-1k to justify its higher price point. (feel free to remember I am a HE-1k owner so bias there. I personally would not do a straight trade my HE-1k for the LCD-4 despite the cost difference. Definitely still prefer the HE-1k, so a breath of relief from my credit cards hahah.)

However, if build quality is extremely important to you, the LCD-4's build quality is excellent and it looks extremely premium and very very gorgeous. One of the most beautiful headphones to see in person. Increase in weight is disappointing but people who enjoy Audeze headphones likely have no issues with current weights. The suspension design does make it feel lighter compared to a stock LCD-X, so a welcome long-awaited improvement there.

Biggest issue for the LCD-4 isn't really anything intrinsic about them, but rather controversy about its price point. No one that I spoke to placed the LCD-4 on their top 5 headphone list, and I personally wouldn't either. I don't think many people in the industry think that its price point is justified. Everyone is just waiting to see if the price point will be accepted by the audiophile target audience.

I would guess yes, because I honestly do think that the majority of people who are into this hobby may actually have really poor perspective considering their spending habits or the type of items that they invest their money into.

Overall, not really anything too negative or too positive to say about the LCD-4. Basically, if you don't want electrostatics and don't want a clinical/analytical type presentation, but still want a sense that they aren't technically gimped by excessive coloration, these should be a good choice. If you are looking for a technical improvement over the LCD-X or LCD-3 or want a more balanced sound signature, yes, the LCD-4 will deliver.

Also, if you really enjoy knowing that the wood on your headphones is cut from an rare endangered species of exotic wood from a tree far far away in a jungle, I think these headphones should be very well worth the money for you. =P (a joke here, please don't get offended).

The question is really why the LCD-4 is not replacing the LCD-3 and being priced at the same level?? The answer is that audiophile manufacturers have realized how idiotic the audiophile enthusiast community can be regarding spending due to their passion so why the hell not. Audeze has nothing to lose. Only people who has something to lose are the people who actually love this hobby as the mark-up costs spiral more and more out of control.

Let's play a game. How much do you think the mark-up costs is from manufacturer to dealer? At least 30%. That means dealers can still make profit giving you a $500 discount on a $2k pair of headphones. Guess what, the manufacturer also has to make money... How much mark-up is there? Well, they made the goods, dealers just distributing, so their profit margins deserve to be higher. is it 40%, 50%... 60%... etc...?

The answer is the mark-ups are simply what we as a community are willing to tolerate. Now that mark-ups are getting more ludicrously large, more companies will jump in trying to grab a piece of the pie. Oppo has proven a newcomer in the planar magnetic industry can succeed, so there is going to be an influx of people trying to grab a piece of the market-share pie. Are we ever going to demand more exacting reviews featuring precise measurements and actual descriptions of pros & cons of specific gear? Or are we going to still ho-hum our way along blindly jumping on every positive impression of people who may or may not be getting kick-backs from manufacturers. Odin is not even in stock yet!!! How do you think the lucky people who get a chance to write an exciting preview of new products are picked? Manufacturers aren't idiots, they know poor first impressions instantly kill their product.....

So really the only reason for my rant is just that we should NOT view critical opinions as omg, you dislike my favorite headphone, let's grab our pitchforks. we should view it as the only way we as consumers can keep manufacturer's honest. Fact is that there are still no perfect pair of headphones out there. I am hilariously surprised how so many reviews can fail to find even one flaw with some of the gear that is getting released (especially when some of these flaws seem so glaringly obvious). Anyone remember the EL-8 thread? lol!!!

~~~My Favorites after the Meet~~~

My top 5 list after the meet would be HE-1k (any amp), Stax SR-009 (only tried on the BHSE), Dharma (only tried with Questyle CM800R amp), HD800 (only ranked here if on the Studio Six or a Cavalli amplifier, preferred the Dharma against the HD800 on the CM800R), Ether Closed (on any amp) in that order.

Notes: I am not sure which I prefer, SR-009 or SR-007. Both had that neat weightless feel and the SR009 actually felt like it did have the perfect amount of bass on the BHSE. Definitely did not feel the Staxs were lacking in bass. Unfortunately, that was the only Stax set-up I really tried, so not sure how it sounds on other amps. If the HE-1k was removed from the competition, I would slot the HE-X in top five as well. Not sure where though.

After that in order: I think HE-560, Ether, Audio Zenith all about tied followed by the LCD-X, LCD-4, then LCD-3. LCD-X over LCD-4 only since I feel like the LCD-X is more unique in its coloration as the rest of this list would likely be a secondary pair of headphones for me rather than my primary pair. Primary pair of only Audezes, likely LCD-3/LCD-4 over LCD-X I think.

My ideal combo would be the HE-1k (any top tier amp with Liquid Gold and GS-X MK2 being my favorites) + SR-009 (with the BHSE). Budget version would be HE-X + Dharma (with any solid mid-tier amplifier). That combo would check all the boxes for me personally while saving quite a bit of money.

I am actually strongly considering purchasing the Dharma anyway after my demo impressions. The DHARMA was the standout flagship of newly released headphones I haven't tried before at the show. Dharma had no crossover or treble issues that I could detect but gave that extremely unique light-feathery touch to the overall upper frequency presentation that is just so different and special. I view it as an excellent complimentary or primary pair of headphones. Only issue was the bass was not as tight as I like with my planar magnetic background, but still good enough. Price point and ability to pair with any amplifier extremely appealing and I am actually strongly considering adding this headphone to my collection.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #218 of 10,116
  General Planar Magnetic Follow-Up

feel free to agree or disagree with my opinions. they are just meet condition impressions. take it however you like. large helping of salt recommended! =) I was just teasing with the french comment (I seriously trust @Sorrodje's impressions with my life though I've never met him just based on his well-articulated insightful posts on the internet! if he disagrees with me, I would say go with his impressions hahah)

We can't agree or disagree about Odin cuz I never heard it :wink: . thks for your trust though :wink: 

@dub ; Ony38 on HF, Ony on TN . He heard the Odin at the recent event in Paris in a new shop and shared some impressions with me :wink: 

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #219 of 10,116
money4me247
Thx for the long & detailed show impressions. I agree with pretty much all your SQ descriptions, although I havent heard some of the new hype-generators like lcd4 & odin. Maybe a slight dissagreement on he1k, I dont think it's worth the price and the bass wasnt as good as I expected.

Also 100% with you on the dumb price escalation games that most manufacturers play nowadays. Really bad for everyone but greed has no limits .. and always ends up in big trouble for all involved.

Anyway, sry for the offtopic and hope to get a chance to hear the Odin. Mostly curiosity cause I will never buy such heavy HPs as Odin, audeze and the old hifimans

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #220 of 10,116
  at the french forum they compared the parts of the Odin with the Hek and i must say that sound aside the quality is not in the HEK camp...evidently the adjustment part and design its another matter....But the quality of construction seems to be in the Odin camp... Another important matter is with what  gear are they listen to...i will wait for serious review...
atsmile.gif

My remark and expression was only a shorthand humour expression to resume the situation and i trust  the " french school " friends about their impression of the Odin...sorry if that insult or villify you in your mind...
redface.gif
smile.gif
no harm intended

p.s. thanks money4me247 for this detailed and instructive impressions and review...

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #221 of 10,116

atsmile.gif

My remark and expression was only a shorthand humour expression to resume the situation and i trust  the " french school " friends about their impression of the Odin...sorry if that insult or villify you in your mind...
redface.gif
smile.gif
no harm intended

and none taken! 
wink_face.gif

About Odin adjustment, when I had a trial, I found it was a plus with these headphones, rather than an "issue".

First, one can adjust it on vertical scale or "high" (as most of the Grado, Beyer or Senn equipment); I didn't encounter problem that some had (and that is already solved for further production), having  headphones too low on the head.

Second mode of adjustment is a little more sensitive: one have to "fix" the heigh, but also the pression of the pads on the ears in a horizontal direction. A little more sensitive because if the pression is too loose on start, you lose the vertical adjustment — and the pressure affects and determines both comfort and bass response of the Odin. In return, this allows a much finer adjustment (to which must be added the possibility to rotate the pads).

In terms of comfort, I found it worse than HD800 (or AKG K701), but better than Jecklin or Ergo, and quite similar to a Hifiman or Audeze, and have met no particular strain or discomfort with long sessions.

b.r. 
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #222 of 10,116
Close to older HiFiMAN definitely but I respectfully disagree with regards to the new lighter generation - not even close IMO.
I meant the horizontal adjustment - to allow the headphone to rotate, a knob has to be loosened, then the headphone adjusted and then retightened. This was very annoying to me and the headphone refused to retighten. It stayed loose. I find this adjustment process tedious and unnecessary but I guess everything has their fans 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #223 of 10,116
@ money4me247,

Thank you for your great headphones review at the RMAF meeting. Review and classification that reflects your personal tastes and preferences, as you can well doubt it.

My personal tastes are quite different from yours.

For example you put at the top of your list HE-1000 and the Stax SR-009 and at the bottom of your list, LCD4 and LCD3.

Personally, having possessed both of a Sr-009 and LCD3-F, I can said : on the criterion of the "pure performance", Sr-009 is probably better than the LCD-3F, but at the level of approval (pleasure) of listening, LCD-3 is my favorite on the 009; and it is for me the most important (have pleasure to listen music), thus I place the LCD3-F before the 009 ; for the story, I even sold my 009 (at friendly prices to a friend ) because in practice I listened it well less frequently than the LCD3F on my audio system.
So it is, you and I, in a report of personal preference: you prefer the 009, and I prefer the LCD3-F.
Everyone his thing, for his personal use
wink.gif

Otherwise, I have some comments to make concerning your two posts on this thread :

No, the driver of the Odin has nothing to do with that of Lyrus Audio Design: not to confuse the "V appearance" of the external grilles of these two headphones with the proper drivers. From what I know, the driver of Odin is manufactured in Russia and that of Lyrus Audio Design, somewhere in China. Can you show a picture of the Lyrus Audio designated driver, and also its specifications, its sensitivity etc ...?
Me I can for Odin: just do an internet search: Odin sensitivity : 104 dB / 1mW (35-40 Ohm) with this driver.

Otherwise, you seem to suffer much concerning the weight of the Kennerton of Odin (and all Audeze headphones: LCD3 ; LCD-4 ...). A matter of habit, no doubt
wink.gif
Know that I listen without problems my loved LCD3-F for 2 to 3 hours, all the time necessary to watch a movie on my HC system.
Otherwise, did you also know that the Kennerton Odin made exactly the same weight as the Abyss (about 660 g?) (without the wire), but it did not seem to bother you too much when you listen the Abyss .... Is there two weights and two measures ? (The abyss on one side, which everybody knows it has a exceptional ergonomics ..., and the LCD-4 and Odin of the other?)
Otherwise, at least one people (other than you) listened the Kernerton Odin (compared to LCD-3) without suffering (link : http://www.head-fi.org/t/779242/can...ons-thread-august-29-30-2015/45#post_11876929)

Otherwise, I quote you "No one really wanted to have their external components paired with these headphones hahah."
In Denver, perhaps, but in London (CanJam), the Kennerton Odin was presented on the Viva Egoista 845 amp (an italian amplifier that costing 10 K), in comparison to the Abyss and the LCD-3 ...

Once again, we return to our personal preferences.
Some compare the Kennerton Odin to a HE-6, but in better; others the K Odin with the LCD-X / LCD3, but in better. Some prefer the sound of Stax Sr-009, others, the sound of the He-1000, others the sound of the Abyss ; others, the sound of the HE-6 ; others finally the sound of LCD-3 and LCD-4. Each headphones provides something that can please or displease (Nb: watch the diversity of opinion in the "Big Sound", surprising, isn't it ?)

In short, I think the Odin Kennerton has its place compared to all other headphones: depending on each of affinities, some will love it, others will hate it.

Personally, soon, (after burn-in), I'll be able to compare the K. Odin with my LCD-3F and situate it in relation to this Audeze headphones that I love.
Does this comparison interests you?
smily_headphones1.gif

(to be continued)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #225 of 10,116
Hi, pedalhead

I see we have in common, besides the passion of the headphones, the same taste for cycling, and we have also lovely children (enjoying headphones as us)
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781533/national-audio-show-uk-2015-impressions-and-pics
Mini Pedalhead #1 and #2 at the meets

My "hybrid" bike: for mountain and against the clock

Mini Eric65 1 and 2 (my two sons)

Mini Eric65 1 (8 years old, at the time)

Thank you for your support regarding my future acquisition of the K. Odin (*), a headphones that does not leave indifferent ...
(*) (imminent receipt).
It would be a shame after all that I have written on the subject, that Odin, in the end, does not please me! Do we ever know ?
wink.gif

I know, a time, you hesitate a moment to choose between a HE-1000 and a K. Odin (after a first comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779242/can...ons-thread-august-29-30-2015/75#post_11877855) ; You have finally selected the HE-1000, and you are satisfied of it ; there, is the essential
smily_headphones1.gif

Going back to my previous post and that of @ money4me247, and everything I have read on Innerfidelity in the "Big Sound"; headphones choices are very personal and verily depend of tastes and personal preferences.

For example, @ money4me247 for his meeting, preferred the HE-1000 (it has) to the LCD4 and the Odin; during another meeting, another person preferred the Odin at the HE-1000
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=142284&page=22&p=1731806&viewfull=1#post1731806
http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=67437&page=114&p=1735581&viewfull=1#post1735581
(NB: links on the Russian forum, understandable essentially with google translate)
(NB bis: by dint of reading Russian text, my level of understanding in this language is improving little by little.

I wish you a good week-end
smily_headphones1.gif

Eric

PS: Wiggins and Froome: great cyclists (as Bernard Hinault in his time
wink.gif
)

EDIT (one): another opinion (oldest) on Head-Fi about the K. Odin

"Kennerton Odin

Biggest surprise for me! Never heard of these before and I really really enjoyed them. Warm, natural, rather forward mids and a tight bass with excellent punch. Just my kind of sound signature. Soundstage could be a bit bigger but whatever.
Was really impressed. Probably my favorite headphone I tried there."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/146040#post_11302600

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back