Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #797 of 10,116
As soon as possible Eric. On thursday normally.

Thanks.

For grizzlybeast in particular and for other members of the Head-Fi forum possibly interested; in previous page, there is a comparative (in French) of the all new HE-1000 V2 with the Kennerton Odin mk1 (but with the new pads).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new...es-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/780#post_12942615

Otherwise, here a ranking made by several known members of HCFR forum of their headphones (by relevance), including that of Pierre Paya, very experienced member of HCFR, but also dealer multibrand of headphones, which was a great help for us, in France, through a series free loans headphones which I was one of the beneficiary.
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...e/comparaison-n-est-pas-raison-t30046300.html

I remember this ranking (by personnal preference) updated: Utopia = HE-1000 V2 = Odin > everything else (forty-four other headphones ...).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178220924.html#p178220924

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #798 of 10,116
I also heard an Odin at the same meet as grizzly and personally I think it is a significant step down from the Utopia. However, there is one area where it absolutely excels: Vocals. I have never heard vocals reproduced so intimately and alluringly as the Odin makes them sound. The tiniest inflections and intonations were easily audible. Stunning really.

However, this was offset by the almost non-existent soundstage. I've heard closed in cans but the Odin is a whole other level, it sounds like the music is playing in your head instead of from some outside source. I could see that becoming fatiguing after a while. That by itself is enough to disqualify the Odin from being a TOTL headphone. Running them balanced helped a little bit but not a ton.

The other issue is price. If I could get the Odin for $800 I'd have one by now. But $2200+ new and around $1800 used? Forget it. I'd rather save up for a Utopia, because even though it's also overpriced, at least if I bought them I could sell all the other headphones I own and just use them exclusively. With the Odin I'd still need to keep at least my HD650, and for a headphone that must co-exist with others because it can't replace my other good cans, it's far too expensive.

Maybe in a few years the Odin will come down in price to a reasonable level on the secondary market and I can snag one at a price more in line with its value.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #799 of 10,116
  Many thanks, grizzlybeast, for your first feeling on the Kennerton Odin; finally ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: in France, many consider that the Kennerton Odin and the Focal Utopia are two complementary headphones; they are both very natural, in their own way: more matter for one and more details for the other. The perfect headphones does not exist ; not yet! 
wink.gif

The Utopia is 98% there. That last two percent is in treble balance (.015 percent), image size (.75 percent), and soundstage(1.10 percent). Such a negligible amount. 

I also heard an Odin at the same meet as grizzly and personally I think it is a significant step down from the Utopia. However, there is one area where it absolutely excels: Vocals. I have never heard vocals reproduced so intimately and alluringly as the Odin makes them sound. The tiniest inflections and intonations were easily audible. Stunning really.

However, this was offset by the almost non-existent soundstage. I've heard closed in cans but the Odin is a whole other level, it sounds like the music is playing in your head instead of from some outside source. I could see that becoming fatiguing after a while. That by itself is enough to disqualify the Odin from being a TOTL headphone. Running them balanced helped a little bit but not a ton.

The other issue is price. If I could get the Odin for $800 I'd have one by now. But $2200+ new and around $1800 used? Forget it. I'd rather save up for a Utopia, because even though it's also overpriced, at least if I bought them I could sell all the other headphones I own and just use them exclusively. With the Odin I'd still need to keep at least my HD650, and for a headphone that must co-exist with others because it can't replace my other good cans, it's far too expensive.

Maybe in a few years the Odin will come down in price to a reasonable level on the secondary market and I can snag one at a price more in line with its value.

I am keen on agreeing with the bold to be honest. Where I may differ from you is in thinking that the Odin is in the top 10% of headphones for sure. This is because I am taking into account that no other planar sounds as dynamic and as physical as it does while having the planar texture

I think the Odin should be priced higher than 800 though. To put it all in perspective and based on merit (subjectively speaking ofcourse):

What the headphone should cost in my opinion:
Code-X ~1299.
Odin ~ 1199
Elear ~ 999
Ether Flow ~ 899.
Eikon ~ 1099
650 ~ 499
HD800 ~ 1399
Utopia ~ 1999
The Abyss ~ 1199

This is all given the fact that I think NO headphone should cost over 2k period. Not one. 

Now for sheer enjoyment and since I am such a sucker for things that sound tangible, weighty, and snappy... The Odin moves up the ranks closer to the Utopia. Because its mids are soul gripping, the drums snap with focus and vigor, and the sound overall has the clarity of a TOTL headphone. I would pay the price simply because I find it rare enough. Same thing as the Eikon. 

Many thanks, grizzlybeast, for your first feeling on the Kennerton Odin; finally ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: in France, many consider that the Kennerton Odin and the Focal Utopia are two complementary headphones; they are both very natural, in their own way: more matter for one and more details for the other. The perfect headphones does not exist ; not yet! 
wink.gif

I can almost understand that. But I still find the Utopia slightly better but only from memory and that is not fair without a direct AB. 

I will say that I have heard Just about all of the high end open backs except for the LCD-4 and the Odin is the 2nd best one for my tastes. After the Utopia. 

The gap is much narrower than I depicted and the Odin would keep me happy for sure. So much so that I would not understand paying the cost difference. I would like a set to review. 

Maybe I will find one to borrow or something because Russia shipping is expensive but honestly I really liked it. 

I retract this statement after thoughtful consideration. I should have posted slightly more appealing for my tastes. By sheer merit, clarity, resolution, and tonal accuracy the Utopia is better. Its also more comfortable. 

There is an electronic artist I listen to all of the time. His name is Shigeto. He is a drummer and plays percussion. He uses a lot of vibraphones etc and has a lot of drum work in his music. The way the Odin handled his work is actually second to none except for when his songs play notes below 40 hz. The Kennerton Vali handles drums and very well too. On a personally level, when playing music like his I have my highest peaks of enjoyment. The Utopia is very explosive and dynamic. It does these kinds of songs well to but it's tones are not as weighted so the though the drums sound just as punchy, they are not as visceral(weight + dynamics).The Utopia is less specialized and can do a lot of things extremely well. Its not a Jack of all trades, master of none. It is a Master of most trades, and capable of others. 

The Code-X had the clarity, speed, tonal accuracy, space around the notes and black background that the Odin did not. But the Odin was close to as clear, had better textures and ability to capture nuance, as well as a richer and more tangible midrange. Also like Merrick mentions I can totally see someone getting fatigued with the Odin. Colored it may be, the Odin is a lot more up my alley than the Code-X. It has so much soul, guts, drive, and rhythm. 

Kennerton should release a lighter, and more spacious headphone with the same driver technology as the Odin.  

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #800 of 10,116
I know I low balled it, but IMO the lack of soundstage really hurts this headphone and I think it should be priced lower as a result. But I do agree that in terms of texture and timbre, the Odin is the best planar I've heard. I just wish it could be a complete package.

I think we agree about this more than we disagree. Want to go in halfsies on one? :wink:

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #801 of 10,116
  The Utopia is 98% there. That last two percent is in treble balance (.015 percent), image size (.75 percent), and soundstage(1.10 percent). Such a negligible amount. 

I am keen on agreeing with the bold to be honest. Where I may differ from you is in thinking that the Odin is in the top 10% of headphones for sure. This is because I am taking into account that no other planar sounds as dynamic and as physical as it does while having the planar texture

I think the Odin should be priced higher than 800 though. To put it all in perspective and based on merit (subjectively speaking ofcourse):

What the headphone should cost in my opinion:
Code-X ~1299.
Odin ~ 1199
Elear ~ 999
Ether Flow ~ 899.
Eikon ~ 1099
650 ~ 499
HD800 ~ 1399
Utopia ~ 1999
The Abyss ~ 1199

This is all given the fact that I think NO headphone should cost over 2k period. Not one. 

Now for sheer enjoyment and since I am such a sucker for things that sound tangible, weighty, and snappy... The Odin moves up the ranks closer to the Utopia. Because its mids are soul gripping, the drums snap with focus and vigor, and the sound overall has the clarity of a TOTL headphone. I would pay the price simply because I find it rare enough. Same thing as the Eikon. 

I retract this statement after thoughtful consideration. I should have posted slightly more appealing for my tastes. By sheer merit, clarity, resolution, and tonal accuracy the Utopia is better. Its also more comfortable. 

There is an electronic artist I listen to all of the time. His name is Shigeto. He is a drummer and plays percussion. He uses a lot of vibraphones etc and has a lot of drum work in his music. The way the Odin handled his work is actually second to none except for when his songs play notes below 40 hz. The Kennerton Vali handles drums and very well too. On a personally level, when playing music like his I have my highest peaks of enjoyment. The Utopia is very explosive and dynamic. It does these kinds of songs well to but it's tones are not as weighted so the though the drums sound just as punchy, they are not as visceral(weight + dynamics).The Utopia is less specialized and can do a lot of things extremely well. Its not a Jack of all trades, master of none. It is a Master of most trades, and capable of others. 

The Code-X had the clarity, speed, tonal accuracy, space around the notes and black background that the Odin did not. But the Odin was close to as clear, had better textures and ability to capture nuance, as well as a richer and more tangible midrange. Also like Merrick mentions I can totally see someone getting fatigued with the Odin. Colored it may be, the Odin is a lot more up my alley than the Code-X. It has so much soul, guts, drive, and rhythm. 

Kennerton should release a lighter, and more spacious headphone with the same driver technology as the Odin.  

Perhaps this is part of their plans for the year 2017; but I'm not in on the secret of the gods. 
wink.gif

Cheaper and lighter, with the same quality of sound of the Odin, especially in the midrange which is magical, that's what we all want!
Meanwhile, more expensive and heavier, but also more luxurious for the choice of wood and finish, it remains the Odin... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #802 of 10,116
I know I low balled it, but IMO the lack of soundstage really hurts this headphone and I think it should be priced lower as a result. But I do agree that in terms of texture and timbre, the Odin is the best planar I've heard. I just wish it could be a complete package.

I think we agree about this more than we disagree. Want to go in halfsies on one?
wink.gif

True!

Dude... dont tempt me...

i already sold my Code-X for the Wells Audio Milo though. I am missing the Code-X already. Nothing is like listening at home...Nothing. Back at home and ABing I almost wanted to give the buyer their money back. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #803 of 10,116
Cheaper than the Kennerton Odin, there is also the Kennerton Vali.

Last review, here (by reddog): http://www.head-fi.org/t/807899/kennerton-vali-impressions-discussion-thread/180#post_12941242

EDIT : Note: Kennerton Vali in front of the Focal Elear (ranking), according to Pierre Paya (for its assessment of pro); normal, since Pierre sells both K. Vali and F. Elear but also the Odin, Utopia, HE-1000 V2, Abyss, 009 and LCD-X/3/4, etc ...

Utopia = HE1000 V2 = Odin > Abyss = SR 009 = SR omega > Dharma D1000 = Vali = RudiStor Chroma MD2 = HD800 = ED12 > LCD-X > LCD3 = LCD-4 > LCD2 > K1000 > PS 1000 > PS 500 = SR 507 = Elear > Magister > TH900 >TH600 > SR 407 = SR 307 = SR 207 > ED5 > ED 10 > AH-D7100 > MDR CD3000 > > DX 1000 = DX 700 > GS 1000 > T1 > T5 > RS1 > SR 325is > SA 5000 > K 701 > HD 650 > AH-D600 > T50P > AH-A100 > Pro Signature > SR 80 > SR 60 > ES 10
(Ranking and evaluation with the amp Viva Egoista 845 and 2A3 for ortho and dynamics headphones and the amp SRMT2 for the Stax SR-009 and SR Omega)
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...-raison-t30046300-30.html#eOfU6Go0sw9HjrIf.99

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #805 of 10,116
I really like Kennerton Odin, very musical and engaging.
Here my take on Odin:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/kennerton-odin/reviews/17108

One of the best headphone from my personal preference pov.

Great review of the K. Odin, very interesting, detailed and comprehensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also interesting your new method of subjective evaluation of the frequency response of the headphones.

For example (below)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822457/efre-earfonia-frequency-response-evaluation

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #806 of 10,116

Great review of the K. Odin, very interesting, detailed and comprehensive.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Also interesting your new method of subjective evaluation of the frequency response of the headphones.

For example (below)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822457/efre-earfonia-frequency-response-evaluation

Tx! It is interesting to know how other people perceived K. Odin frequency response, as we do hear things a bit differently 
smile.gif

But EFRE is not very easy, not easy to compare loudness of different tone. But since I don't have good measurement tool for headphones, that's the best I can do for subjective estimation.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #807 of 10,116
Great review Earfonia, but i am surprise on one thing : you pull up a lot of sub bass. For me, i do the same thing sometime but only +1 or +2 dbs for an absolutely awesome sound.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #809 of 10,116
Great review Earfonia, but i am surprise on one thing : you pull up a lot of sub bass. For me, i do the same thing sometime but only +1 or +2 dbs for an absolutely awesome sound.

For some movie soundtracks like the inception, I need that sub bass :-D
But most of the time, like 95% of playing time, i don't use any eq.

A headphone that can make you cry with joy. They are not many...

(see introduction of the review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/kennerton-odin/reviews/17108)

Agree to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back