Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 26, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #7,621 of 10,116
I'll look into the Thekk, though my understanding it's more mid-centric? Utopia is appealing but I'm looking for planar (plus I'm not a fan of the Focal driver issue with too much sub-bass). 1266 I can't get on board with the fit. And looks.
I never heard the Thekk and reviews are hard to come by but based on the reviews I’ve seen I’m really considering it. Utopia is amazing and very dynamic in fact the second most dynamic headphone I’ve heard after the 1266. I don’t know what you mean by driver issues and Sub bass. I’ve had mine for about 3 years with no issues.

Mar 26, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #7,622 of 10,116
Mar 26, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #7,623 of 10,116
I never heard the Thekk and reviews are hard to come by but based on the reviews I’ve seen I’m really considering it. Utopia is amazing and very dynamic in fact the second most dynamic headphone I’ve heard after the 1266. I don’t know what you mean by driver issues and Sub bass. I’ve had mine for about 3 years with no issues.
The driver issue is where there's clipping when too much bass at too high volume. It's a deliberate design by Focal but maybe it's specific to certain models.

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #7,625 of 10,116
Yup, I was just being snarky. But basically - the Stealth, as I heard it, was very flat, dry, with a monitor like presentation. I am not a fan of the DCA tuning overall. I especially find the lack of dynamics hard to endure. But I can see it's appeal if one is looking for an uncoloured headphone with great comfort and build.

By contrast, the Rognir (planar) has a fairly forward presentation, with astounding technical chops and an energetic timbre. I would not really say these two headphones have much in common.

My original (more reflective) comparison is here - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dan...iew-measurements.959214/page-79#post-16554262
I would be more interested in Rognir dynamic for more dynamics and at a much better price of course. I don´t understand what I am paying for anymore though the prices has gone up so much the last years though.

As for DCA have not heard stealth but noire was very much as you described. Monitor accoustically dead booring sound though competent of course. Can just fault it for not being dynamic or musical enough.

I got the Ether C Flow and they are actually musical and certainly more capable then my Magni. Huge price difference though and of course not worth the money. Just curious if Rognir dynamic share similar traits to the magni or it´s tuning is entirely different. I tried the GH 50 JM and it was similar to the magni in tone when you really pressed the earpads to your ears.

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #7,626 of 10,116
I would be more interested in Rognir dynamic for more dynamics and at a much better price of course. I don´t understand what I am paying for anymore though the prices has gone up so much the last years though.

As for DCA have not heard stealth but noire was very much as you described. Monitor accoustically dead booring sound though competent of course. Can just fault it for not being dynamic or musical enough.

I got the Ether C Flow and they are actually musical and certainly more capable then my Magni. Huge price difference though and of course not worth the money. Just curious if Rognir dynamic share similar traits to the magni or it´s tuning is entirely different. I tried the GH 50 JM and it was similar to the magni in tone when you really pressed the earpads to your ears.
The Rognir Dynamic will be more Dark than the Kennerton GH-50 JM. If you lean more towards a neutral bright sound then I would not suggest the Dynamic over the Plannar version. However the Dynamic still has great detail and imaging. Soundstage is just average to any other normal closed-back headphone. Meaning you know you are wearing closed-back. The sound doesn't really go much beyond the earcups themselves. Now I would say if someone is sensitive to treble and is looking for a more relaxed sounding headphone and maybe enjoys a lot of rock to heavy metal then the Dynamic is probably a good fit there.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #7,627 of 10,116
I don’t listen loudly so maybe.
Thanks. Went for D8000 Pro in the end, but would really like to demo Thekk at some point.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #7,630 of 10,116
Let us know some impressions about the D8000 pros.
I'll be getting a pair in a few weeks or so.
Yours may well arrive before me: I'm on back-order from Japan....so curious to your impressions, too!

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #7,631 of 10,116
Let us know some impressions about the D8000 pros.
I'll be getting a pair in a few weeks or so.
Honestly, the D8000 Pro are one of the best I have heard. Quality bass, but I would have been happier with a touch more quantity. Although it can EQ'ed if that is your thing. The cables are good quality but it is like wrestling an Anaconda.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #7,632 of 10,116
Honestly, the D8000 Pro are one of the best I have heard. Quality bass, but I would have been happier with a touch more quantity. Although it can EQ'ed if that is your thing. The cables are good quality but it is like wrestling an Anaconda.
Yes, I demoed them last year and was struck by the cables; like the headphones themselves, they're built like a tank and fairly imposing. I'll see how that goes in the long-run....I sense a shorter 4.4mm cable in time.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #7,633 of 10,116
Yours may well arrive before me: I'm on back-order from Japan....so curious to your impressions, too!
Haha we need some patience then.
Mine will be leaving from Romania to Spain this week most likely, so it should be at least 2 weeks.
I have high hopes with them. I think they are gonna share a bit from the Kennerton DNA, mixing good technical abilities with a musical presentation and top bass.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #7,634 of 10,116
Thanks for your feedback. Im coming from the Wodans, which were amazing cans but had a bit of subass roll off. Judging the graphs, the Finals are gonna be more bassy in that region.
I EQ all my headphones so they are getting a proper bass shelf for sure

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #7,635 of 10,116
Thanks for your feedback. Im coming from the Wodans, which were amazing cans but had a bit of subass roll off. Judging the graphs, the Finals are gonna be more bassy in that region.
I EQ all my headphones so they are getting a proper bass shelf for sure
I am not an EQ guy, so may have been happier with the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back