Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #6,931 of 10,023
And by the way, couple of photos. Colour of these Rognir Dynamic have chameleon behavior. First photo - in direct bright light, second photo - usual ambient light. They also have some pearl-like gloss effect, that can not be seen in photo.

DSC04525.jpg

DSC04531.jpg

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #6,932 of 10,023
I don't know about your personal situation (the only thing I know, from your pics, is that you have at least one son) , but I can relate mine and maybe will be helpful for you:

After a day of work, I use to bring my children to activities after school, sometimes I help them with their homework (I love to do that), then is shower time and prepare the dinner and when they finally go to sleep, I have a precious time to listen to headphones (closed back in my case, because I listen to music near them and my wife, while they are sleeping).

I think that if you plan to only listen to music in the basement, I would keep an open back for those moments at night when you don't want (or don't have enough time) to enjoy your stereo. If you plan to listen to music in a place near them, while they are sleeping, would be better a closed back (at least, in my case). Maybe you find yourself in that situation that you can only enjoy your stereo at weekends (I don't know)...

Anyway, whatever the decision you take, I wish you the best. That's just my simple advice based in my experience.
Not nearly on the level of the Rognir, but I have a Ollo S4R that I had personalized with my company logo. It will work for those situations. My PrimaLuna is also a more than capable head amp as well.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #6,933 of 10,023
John, could you clarify which pads exactly you are referring to, I'm a bit confused with multitude of pads I had with Rognir / Rognir Dynamic )
ECLSRMF PADS IN ALL BLACK

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #6,934 of 10,023
Not nearly on the level of the Rognir, but I have a Ollo S4R that I had personalized with my company logo. It will work for those situations. My PrimaLuna is also a more than capable head amp as well.
Yes, reading your post I thought that you will get rid of all your headphones... Any headphones should be fine :L3000:

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #6,935 of 10,023
And by the way, couple of photos. Colour of these Rognir Dynamic have chameleon behavior. First photo - in direct bright light, second photo - usual ambient light. They also have some pearl-like gloss effect, that can not be seen in photo.

DSC04525.jpg
DSC04531.jpg
Oh, wow, are those the "Dusk" ones? Really interesting look. I like my "Baltic Sea" but those are really nice, too.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #6,936 of 10,023
I have to give Eric credit; his is some of the most eloquent trolling I'ver ever read in all my years of internetting
C1EB276A-8C4D-4CF8-8685-A46C322DC006.jpeg

47732CA0-372F-4390-833C-13492040CE5D.jpeg
8C381D52-84C3-413A-9C05-0FBF3CACADDC.jpeg

it's very apparent the GH40 is very very well thought out for de-fraction and maximizing internal space to make the GH40 sound like a huge open back .... wonder if I could tinker with it further... another time perhaps... I know there will be no mods for me on the Rognir Planar since it is so delicate unfortunately and is so well designed but this GH40 I can see a few places I could make some mods ... - I have to say out of the box this HP is very very impressive! making it better will be tough! Bravo Kennerton for a well thought out design!
Hello John, I just looked at the photos again, and saw them. Did the green pads stock and come with the GH40? Or is that a new mod you did on them? If they arrived that way, wow...Thx.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #6,937 of 10,023
Yes, reading your post I thought that you will get rid of all your headphones... Any headphones should be fine :L3000:
Yes…I agree that my post says all headphones…my Ollo’s will not be sellable because they have my logo on the cups….so all headphones besides the Ollos and my wife’s B&O H6.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #6,938 of 10,023
Just got the "bass tuned" pads for the Rognir - aka the Rognir Dynamic pads from Kennerton. Kudos to excellent service, Russia to Vienna in two days.

Somewhat hard to pad "roll" because it's very fiddly switching from one set to another, but I like what I'm hearing. The bass pads are angled, so the comfort and overall quality feels to me nicer than stock version. As to sound, indeed the Dynamic pads seem to raise the mid-bass by a few DB while also being very controlled and tight. No muddiness whatsoever. I also feel vocals are foregrounded a little more, which to my mind is a good thing. Not sensing too much loss in detail. I think anyone who was concerned that the Rognir was too lean will likely be impressed with these pads. It's definitely nice to have two sets to alternate between different tunings for different moods, etc.

20220119_144021.jpg

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #6,939 of 10,023
Just got the "bass tuned" pads for the Rognir - aka the Rognir Dynamic pads from Kennerton. Kudos to excellent service, Russia to Vienna in two days.

Somewhat hard to pad "roll" because it's very fiddly switching from one set to another, but I like what I'm hearing. The bass pads are angled, so the comfort and overall quality feels to me nicer than stock version. As to sound, indeed the Dynamic pads seem to raise the mid-bass by a few DB while also being very controlled and tight. No muddiness whatsoever. I also feel vocals are foregrounded a little more, which to my mind is a good thing. Not sensing too much loss in detail. I think anyone who was concerned that the Rognir was too lean will likely be impressed with these pads. It's definitely nice to have two sets to alternate between different tunings for different moods, etc.

How is the drivability of the Rognir? I know I committed to spending time with the GH40, but man the Dynamic sound is really checking my boxes.

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #6,940 of 10,023
How is the drivability of the Rognir? I know I committed to spending time with the GH40, but man the Dynamic sound is really checking my boxes.
I have the Rognir Planar, so can only speak of their drivability, which is good. I'd say most modern/high-end DAPs won't have any issue (i.e., 600mw at 32ohm or above). I also don't find them especially picky (unlike ZMF VC and even to some extent Meze Liric). Obviously, the higher you go, the better they scale - no DAP is going to be able to compete with TT2, but on M17 and N6ii with or without C9, you're getting the full experience of the Rognir.

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #6,941 of 10,023
I have the Rognir Planar, so can only speak of their drivability, which is good. I'd say most modern/high-end DAPs won't have any issue (i.e., 600mw at 32ohm or above). I also don't find them especially picky (unlike ZMF VC and even to some extent Meze Liric). Obviously, the higher you go, the better they scale - no DAP is going to be able to compete with TT2, but on M17 and N6ii with or without C9, you're getting the full experience of the Rognir.
That's what I was looking for. I know you have the Planar and I am getting so many requests to compare the two (Dynamic & Planar), I have been considering a purchase. That said, I am very keen on the new CA1000 that is going to be released. My existing DAPs can run the Dynamics, but the scalability is important.

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #6,942 of 10,023
That's what I was looking for. I know you have the Planar and I am getting so many requests to compare the two (Dynamic & Planar), I have been considering a purchase. That said, I am very keen on the new CA1000 that is going to be released. My existing DAPs can run the Dynamics, but the scalability is important.
Curious also to hear impressions of CA1000, but that said, the synergy of the M17 and the Rognir is spot on with an abundance of headroom to spare. What I like about the M17 is that it has a scalability in DC "enhanced" mode but also works as a semi-transportable DAP - that's a good solution for different uses and headphones.

The Dynamic and Planar comparison is of interest to everyone, I suspect - maybe Kennerton can send you one? :smile_phones:

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #6,944 of 10,023
Listening again to my Rognir Dynamics today after an extended session with my VCs. They really, really, really hold their own. Detail is on par. Soundstage is on par. Rognirs have a little more heft to the bass, but some glare to the treble. On that note too, I've gone ahead and swapped back from the ZMF Eikon lambskin pads to the stock Rognir Dynamic ones. The inside of the left cup juuuuuust barely brushes against my ear, but it doesn't bother me. Don't know why I had an issue with it before, but no issue now.

As far as drivability, these are pretty danged easy to drive. I've had success with them off the balanced XLR output of my Magnius and my SMSL SH-8, both of which put out pretty solid power but nothing insane. Right now the Magnius is at 9 o'clock on high-gain, with my Lokius enabled (a bit of mid-bass bump which was also on my VCs) and it's perfect listening loud with excellent headroom and dynamics.

These are punchy and clear. I like them more and more. Only issues I'm seeing are the left-ear cup-touching thing and the bit of treble glare. I'm starting to question my collecting habit and consider consolodating to 1-2 open-back and 1-2 closed-back cans, and it's getting harder to justify keeping the VCs over the Rognirs.

Pic tax:

IMG_2665.jpg

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #6,945 of 10,023
Listening again to my Rognir Dynamics today after an extended session with my VCs. They really, really, really hold their own. Detail is on par. Soundstage is on par. Rognirs have a little more heft to the bass, but some glare to the treble. On that note too, I've gone ahead and swapped back from the ZMF Eikon lambskin pads to the stock Rognir Dynamic ones. The inside of the left cup juuuuuust barely brushes against my ear, but it doesn't bother me. Don't know why I had an issue with it before, but no issue now.

As far as drivability, these are pretty danged easy to drive. I've had success with them off the balanced XLR output of my Magnius and my SMSL SH-8, both of which put out pretty solid power but nothing insane. Right now the Magnius is at 9 o'clock on high-gain, with my Lokius enabled (a bit of mid-bass bump which was also on my VCs) and it's perfect listening loud with excellent headroom and dynamics.

These are punchy and clear. I like them more and more. Only issues I'm seeing are the left-ear cup-touching thing and the bit of treble glare. I'm starting to question my collecting habit and consider consolodating to 1-2 open-back and 1-2 closed-back cans, and it's getting harder to justify keeping the VCs over the Rognirs.

Pic tax:

Man...I am totally with you. As I mentioned before, I too had a light touching of my left ear but it never bothered me. It is great that the more time you spend the more you find the Dynamics merit compared to VC. I know I said prior, that I enjoyed the Stellia (with proper cable) more than VC and the D9200 more than either of those two, strictly subjective. Since receiving the Kennertons they have been capitalizing my time. I have not swapped pads, pure stock and the Dynamics continue to grow and impress.

I have already committed to writing the GH40 review first (in my head), as I paid for the Dynamic I have no review obligations at all. That said, there is so much interest it would be a pity to not review them. If you read my D9200 review, I never set out to review them, I had way too many obligations, but I was moved and felt they deserved the exposure. I am there again.

We will see if I can obtain a Rognir for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back