Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #5,326 of 10,023
No comparison between Rögnir and ZMF VC yet?
I will write you some notes after I am done with the client presentation today…

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #5,328 of 10,023
They are not yet done, people have tried pads designed for different headphones. Rögnir is getting their own, deeper set that works with their sound.
Nods. They know what they are doing. Best closed on the market.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #5,329 of 10,023
Very much appreciate it, thank you. (Would also love to hear about the R01 pairing...!) :pray:
Rognir vs. VC (VC impression based off my memory).

The common.

You get to enjoy the closed back benefit of holographic soundstage and warmth in sound. The soundstage from both of them are not like the open backs (such as D8000 pro) which seem to be boundary-less; instead, you get more of a 3D soundstage from both of them with decent size.

The difference.

VC has that really thick sound to my ears. Very slow and some may call this warm. Rognir has that planar sound of fast and accurate. What I think Rognir really shines is that it is able to combine this fast planar signature with the warmth from the closed back to create a unique blend. Not sure if this makes sense to you, but it is kind of like giving a planar a warm-sounding amp, but it is also more than this since you get excellent coherence in sound.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #5,330 of 10,023
Rognir vs. VC (VC impression based off my memory).

The common.

You get to enjoy the closed back benefit of holographic soundstage and warmth in sound. The soundstage from both of them are not like the open backs (such as D8000 pro) which seem to be boundary-less; instead, you get more of a 3D soundstage from both of them with decent size.

The difference.

VC has that really thick sound to my ears. Very slow and some may call this warm. Rognir has that planar sound of fast and accurate. What I think Rognir really shines is that it is able to combine this fast planar signature with the warmth from the closed back to create a unique blend. Not sure if this makes sense to you, but it is kind of like giving a planar a warm-sounding amp, but it is also more than this since you get excellent coherence in sound.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'd agree the VC can be thick but pad rolling and amp can change that. They're picky headphones. That said, Rögnir really sound like my cup of tea.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5,331 of 10,023
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'd agree the VC can be thick but pad rolling and amp can change that. They're picky headphones. That said, Rögnir really sound like my cup of tea.
Kennerton headphones have the same pad system as ZMF you can pad roll all you want...I can confirm that Dekoni DT pads for Beyerdynamic fit perfectly on the headphones..ZMF pads are slightly bigger/more loose fit but it'll work too...since the Rognir stock pads are solid they're not as picky as the open-back models w/ special perforations. Not sure how these pads will change the tuning though anyone brave enough to test them out and give an impressions? haha

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #5,333 of 10,023
The pads can be manufactured with a more dense filling with a denser foam so they don’t collapse as much so the ear will not touch the driver- also the pad can be slightly shaped a bit more horn like to add strength narrower at base at wider by ear or reverse

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #5,335 of 10,023
And also a comparison to the Focal Stellia, would be appriciated.
Thanks.
From my memory, the Rögnir is as detailed and fast as the Stellia. The tuning sounds more neutral with more pronounced highs, better sub-bass presence and soundstage. Rögnir is pretty special closed back headphone. Just wondering if there's better options as open backs, since closed back headphone is no longer a necessity for me.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #5,336 of 10,023
From my memory, the Rögnir is as detailed and fast as the Stellia. The tuning sounds more neutral with more pronounced highs, better sub-bass presence and soundstage. Rögnir is pretty special closed back headphone. Just wondering if there's better options as open backs, since closed back headphone is no longer a necessity for me.
Better than Rognir, clearly; TC, SR1a, 009/Omega with DIY T2, maybe Carbon. KGSSHV likely is too warm.

Maybe with supplementary chain Utopia, Susvara, Solitaire are more equivocal.

It's quite hard to argue x open offers substantial xyz over Rognir.

You'll be splitting hairs across ultimate stage, bass, image and pivoting to preferred preference of bloom, mid-richness, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #5,337 of 10,023
Better than Rognir, clearly; TC, SR1a, 009/Omega with DIY T2, maybe Carbon. KGSSHV likely is too warm.

Maybe with supplementary chain Utopia, Susvara, Solitaire are more equivocal.

It's quite heard to argue x open offers substantial xyz over Rognir.

You'll be spitting hairs across ultimate stage, bass, image and pivoting to preferred preference bloom, mid-richness, etc.
Thanks, I haven't got experience in many high end headphones. The Stellia were the best headphones I had, until the Rögnir came along and changed the fact. Just wondering if there's much better in around same price point or should I just be happy to have found such excellent pair and just enjoy them.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #5,338 of 10,023
Thanks, I haven't got experience in many high end headphones. The Stellia were the best headphones I had, until the Rögnir came along and changed the fact. Just wondering if there's much better in around same price point or should I just be happy to have found such excellent pair and just enjoy them.
Rognir surpasses Stellia across the board, as well as Verite although some like it's more thick and rich presentation among the reverb across species of wood. The R10P is clearly on the level of Rognir with exchanged strengths. Better off buying a Susvara in that case.

It will depend quite strongly on the missing pieces you may be looking to fill-in. Or have cursory conjecture towards.

You can always go with an Empyrean and suffer through the absence of life's joy in silence.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #5,339 of 10,023
Last night I had a listening session with the Rognir with mostly female vocal and modern Jazz. ”Overture” by Justin Hurwitz on the Whiplash movie soundtrack may have been one of the top 3 headphone experiences I have ever had. A memorable WOW moment for sure.
517DA705-D8F2-4366-B38B-4253104F192A.jpeg

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #5,340 of 10,023
Damn!!! This thing has the bass! I never expected this. Just found a second hand Thekk, expecting that it will be something like a treble tamed HD800S. Hell no, it punches faster and tighter than HEKse. I am super surprised. I need to be back to work now, I will write later but initial impression is that it has thicker mids than Rögnir, and...even more bass??? I need to compare side by side, in the evening.

20210628_121548.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back