Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 25, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #5,101 of 10,023
One of the things I appreciate about Kennerton is that they're not shy to experiment, and each headphone can have it's own personality. In contrast, for instance, I really like Denon closed-backs, but they're all just variations on a theme. Kennerton on the other hand goes bold! So there will definitely be preferences for one model over another.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #5,103 of 10,023
184602843_3869418053176538_3761542870568381969_n.jpg

May 25, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #5,104 of 10,023
One of the things I appreciate about Kennerton is that they're not shy to experiment, and each headphone can have it's own personality. In contrast, for instance, I really like Denon closed-backs, but they're all just variations on a theme. Kennerton on the other hand goes bold! So there will definitely be preferences for one model over another.
I appreciate that they experiment, however the headphones sometimes also feel like experiments.
They even change drivers between revisions which can completely change sound signature.

This makes it hard when looking for reviews, since you often can't be sure if an old review still reflects the new headphone. Or if your driver fails a few years down the line if the new one will sound the same.

However if done like with the JM versions, I'm all for it

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #5,105 of 10,023
May 25, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #5,107 of 10,023
I respect your tastes which are not necessarily mine or that of others.
I could say the same ) That's really close to very definition of "subjective". So I write "like or dislike – subjective matters". And that's why I can't agree sometimes with other people impressions if mine are really different.

To conclude, Kennerton's ex-engineer Max jokingly said, regarding the Thror and the Odin mk2, that he would use the Thror for work (for its Germanic rigor), but that he would use the Odin on weekends, for fun.
Funny coincidence, but I planned to stay with Thror for more serious listening and Odin ml2 for fun )) Before Rognir announcement. And, alas, I don't have a place in my listening menu for Thekk - I get tired of them almost instantly, that's most prominent subjective-objective sign of "dislike". And one more reminder of obvious fact - you can make conclusion about headphones (as of other audio gear) if you like then or not only if you try them personally.

May 25, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #5,108 of 10,023
When ever I do a review I try to put assembly version year in the review- I agree all reviewers should do that for all models from any company. On another obvious note... I think we all know this fact - That the Kennerton lines are all hand made hand soldered hand selected for wood finishes, hand finished, hand assembled -even the leather ear pads and headbands- so this is the old world charm and delight and of course the exclusivity of Kennerton over all other brands - however there may be variations- from I understand Kennerton matches and tests and even tunes each unit before they go out the door to try to ensure consistency- there is no question as to how special each headphone is by Kennerton- a jewel in the sea of off the shelf mass assembly- do they make improvements all the time - yes and thank goodness for that... will they upgrade your set to the new model improvements? I think so less the cost of shipping I would guess- maybe Kennerton could answer that for sure

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #5,109 of 10,023
The listing is a bit more of an Interest Check. The TC might very well make it to the chopping block.

As the truth is a little grey -- longer story short, with life returning to normalcy, I have more even time to listen to my speakers which is what I always prefer. I'm left with the dilemma of keeping an TC, Rognir or whatever with limited use.

I simply may keep the Rognir as It brings me an immense amount of enjoyment.

It's kind of either/or.
I would like to ask you to give your Rognir one last chance. From what I understand, you would like them to sound a little more lively, energetic and bassy. You can contact me and I will show you online how to do this - to turn your Rognir (and you have the 2nd version, the one that is flatter and more neutral!) into headphones with a completely different character (1st version). It is very easy. You will need 10 minutes of time, a screwdriver and tweezers or a needle to do it. The warranty will remain intact, I promise you that. You can get the sound back afterwards with no problem either! How do you feel about that? Would you like to try this experiment?

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #5,110 of 10,023
I would like to ask you to give your Rognir one last chance. From what I understand, you would like them to sound a little more lively, energetic and bassy. You can contact me and I will show you online how to do this - to turn your Rognir (and you have the 2nd version, the one that is flatter and more neutral!) into headphones with a completely different character (1st version). It is very easy. You will need 10 minutes of time, a screwdriver and tweezers or a needle to do it. The warranty will remain intact, I promise you that. You can get the sound back afterwards with no problem either! How do you feel about that? Would you like to try this experiment?
It would be nice if a video can be posted here or YouTube for all the owners that might want to do the work to change the sound on their headphones. A video would be great even for future buyers, that way they know the possibility to change the sound to their liking exist for this beautiful looking headphone. Great to know the owner of this brand is active here on head-fi

May 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #5,111 of 10,023
I don't know which version I have. But if what I have is also the 2nd, sign me up.

May 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #5,112 of 10,023
If your tuning is to remove the air port ring, I have done this.

I actually prefered the more neutral presentation.

Real bass-heads may disagree.

May 25, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #5,113 of 10,023
Hi Pavel.

I respect your tastes which are not necessarily mine or that of others.

So let's talk about other tastes and other people who are familiar with Kennerton headphones (and others totl headphones), too.

Pierre Paya (french importer of Kennerton products), prefers (quite clearly) the Thekk to the Thror, which is his favorite open planar headphone (all brands of open planar headphones combined:Audeze, Final Audio, Meze), just after the Hifiman Susvara.

Former Kennerton engineer Max preferred the Thekk to the Thror for sound (and listening pleasure). And this is not a development and casting error.
The Thekk was developed by Kennerton after the Thror, taking into account the experience gained with the Thror.
The Thekk was designed to be different from the Thror (with which it shares the same "carbon" planar driver) to make it more euphonious and pleasant to listen to than the Thror, whose austerity of sound and lack of flavor, even coldness, could put off some.
Certainly, the Thekk, more colored than the Thror (more colorless see insipid), does not have the same degree of coloration and flavor as the Odin (even more colored and tasty in the medium than the Thekk), but it largely exceeds it in terms of technicality: aeration of the sound scene, precision, speed, distortions, without counting the difference in weight and comfort between the Odin mk2 and the Thekk (day and night between these two headphones).

I gave to a friend my Odin mk2 that I didn't listen to anymore compared to the Thekk that became my main headphones.
The Odin mk2 being for my ear too colorful, not precise enough, not aerated enough, a little slow in the bass, and even too heavy to wear on long listening periods. Moreover the treble of the Odin is too grainy, not fine enough.
The Thror's treble is better, but I find the Thekk's even more refined.
Above all, what I appreciate the most about the Thekk compared to the Thror, two headphones of the same technicality, in addition to the slightly superior aeration, is its extra mid bass and the fullness of its timbres, denser and more consistent than those of the Thror, which does not give enough body to voices and string instruments.

All this, of course, is my personal assessment of these three Kennerton headphones.

To conclude, Kennerton's ex-engineer Max jokingly said, regarding the Thror and the Odin mk2, that he would use the Thror for work (for its Germanic rigor), but that he would use the Odin on weekends, for fun.

Well, in my opinion, I don't use either of these two headphones on a daily basis (although I know them very well): I only use the Thekk, and every day of the week!

The only headphone that might change my mind (if I get it) is the Rögnir.
Well said my friend

May 26, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #5,114 of 10,023
I could say the same ) That's really close to very definition of "subjective". So I write "like or dislike – subjective matters". And that's why I can't agree sometimes with other people impressions if mine are really different.
Did you have a chance to listen to a new Vali at the past exhibition? They say these hp have an improved sound.

May 26, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #5,115 of 10,023
Did you have a chance to listen to a new Vali at the past exhibition? They say these hp have an improved sound.
No, I Iistened 2 versions of Rognir and Wodan only. But I find Vali good enough as they are, in their price range and overall sound concept )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back