Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #3,302 of 10,023
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #3,303 of 10,023
Too bad the mixing on "Vehicle of spirit" is so .. shall we call it "pro Marko" :wink: (for those that don't know: the bass is very prominent, very)
You do have all you need for an excellent listening evening, enjoy!

Hi.

Thanks. :)

Perhaps in this case, the Thror will be preferable to the Thekk, with its lighter bass (less prominent), but just as punchy and detailed.

Although, when listening the Hans Zimmer's Live In Prague concert, a rock concert with a heavy bass (especially in the sub bass), both the Thror and Thekk headphones are very good, with however, personally, a small preference for the Thekk, for its bass (mid-bass) stronger (in level) than to the Thror, which makes you listen a little less loud with this headphones Thekk.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #3,304 of 10,023
Too bad the mixing on "Vehicle of spirit" is so .. shall we call it "pro Marko" :wink: (for those that don't know: the bass is very prominent, very)
You do have all you need for an excellent listening evening, enjoy!

I couldn't agree with you more.

Indeed, with the Thekk, for the recording of the concert Live in London (Wembley Arena) "Vehicle of Spirit", the bass mix is too loud (too prominent for the bass guitar), and the voice of Floor (the femal singer) is slightly to far back.

In this case, the Thror, with its lighter bass (more neutral or slightly attenuated) and better accentuating the high mids (for the Floor's voice) is slightly better suited than the Thekk for this recording.

However, with the Thekk, Floor's voice is a little more natural, without the Thror's accent at 3 KHz.
With the extra bass of the Thekk, the listening is done at a lower SPL level, less tiring.

20090311285023553817004521.jpg

20090311285023553817004520.jpg

20090311284923553817004519.jpg

20090311284923553817004518.jpg

20090311284923553817004517.jpg

20090311293023553817004526.jpg

20090311292923553817004525.jpg

20090311292923553817004524.jpg

20090311292823553817004522.jpg

20090311292823553817004523.jpg

20090311295723553817004532.jpg

20090311295623553817004531.jpg

20090311295623553817004530.jpg

20090311295523553817004528.jpg

20090311295623553817004529.jpg

20090509575023553817009046.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,305 of 10,023
Hello again to all.

For the Nightwish "Vehicule of Spirit" live concert, with Marko's bass guitar very (very) present, well, to better balance the sound with the Thekk, there is a little trick: just slightly unseal the pads (for example with the thick branch of a pair of glasses): the bass level decreases (slightly) and the presence of the Floor's voice (superb), in the midrange, becomes more pronounced, not to mention the aeration and sound space of the Thekk where the headphones excel.
In these listening conditions (slight unsealing of the pads with the wearing of glasses), I'll even come to prefer the Thekk headphones on the Thror for this live symphonic metal concert of genius ! :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #3,306 of 10,023
Kennerton Thekk

Traditionally, let's start with the general sound signature of the cans. And wel’ll go through the description of characters of the nearest neighbors - Thor and Odin v 2. Highs (unlike Thor and even more so from Odin) with a bright spark, not so intense that you squint at the brightness, but the spark definitely is present and noticeable. Mids are clean and smooth, reminiscent of Thror, but with a noticeable warm, or rather even sweet flavour. Odins, however, differ in a more "rough" (in a good sense) mids. The bass is also not like that of the neighbors – first of all, more prominent on the lower part of the bass and larger in volume. In general, it is closer to Thror-structured and detailed bass, without the fat and slightly unhurried character of Odin bass. But at the same time, the overall quality is probably simpler than that of Thror – it lacks the thoroughness and confidence of attacks. With a larger volume of impact mass, it seems that the density of this substance is less than that of Thror or Odin, so the result from the impact is less impressive (which, for example, on metal music, is quite noticeable). The scene width is superior to both Thror and Odin, in this aspect Thekk is the undisputed leader.

From the first hours of listening, I had the impression that I was dealing with the reincarnation of the Fostex 900, in an isodynamic version. A bit bright treble, sweet mids, provocatively big bass, the overall breadth and boldness of character – everything about them.

Let's see what's going on music genres.

Jazz. As with Fostex 900 - the tips of the fingers tickle the tips of the nerve endings. The “wow-factor” running at full speed and is quite appropriate. Female vocal purrs in a mermaid attraction manner. A piano - uncannily rolling. But I repeat – for a short distance, it is quite delicious and exciting. Roll the discography of Diana Krall 200 times in a circle and not get bored.

Electronica. Here cans surprised me - on the one hand it was predictable (prominent bass/subbass, convincing clean mids, clear treble and overall high speed - a serious guarantee of success). The other is still somewhat suddenly – very rare for this genre I like warm colored cans character. (Everything is beginning to feel very friendly. The cold, more detached approach to electronic music is much closer to me.) However, the practice of the last couple of weeks has shown that Thekk is really a great tool for this genre, an excellent guide both for energizing Infected Mushrooms, for example, and for motivating background thinking activities through Autechre.

Metal.
gallery_11574_186_12021.jpg

What’s impressive.

Power - way to the astral travel. Crazy genre and crazy headphones – 100% subject for synergistic resonance. Frodo and Gandalf dance lezginka with two-handed swords in their teeth to the rhythmic applause of the Nazgûl. The space, brightness and briskness of the bass are the basis of the resonance.

Alternative, Thrash – well, cool and perky, not too serious cans sound signature, sparkle and fervor for subgenres - the very needed things hitting the bull's-eye

Industrial – it turns out almost perfectly (see a more detailed review of Electronica).

Symphonic, Progressive - everything is not so clear. The scale of soundstage is certainly beneficial. And if on relatively frivolous albums, for example early Nightwish all looks well on mood (but here is the quality of these early albums alas…), then on something more thoughtful, say Opeth - relevance of headphones coloration already much less obviously. Well, due to the objectively high level and tear-knocking vocals, the overall impression remains far in the positive zone.

Heavy Metal - headphones perfectly play rock, colored aside from the neutrality of boring – quite delivers the opportunity to exhale and float on the waves of the genre. Well, the technical ability is enough with a reserve.

Not so impressive.
Black, Death, Grindcore – impressions remain generally in a positive zone. But this point clearly puts Thekk below both Thor and Odin – "with a larger volume of impact mass, it seems that the density of this substance is less than that of Thor or Odin, so the result from the impact is less impressive." On these subgenres, Thror is clearly dominates by greater technicality, and Odin - by more synergic character.

Doom, Sludge, Stoner – a quick ride with fog lights on through the subgenres isn't exactly what you expect. It is more correct to collect the fog thicker, tidying up the detail and brightness of the treble, making the meat on the bass fatter.

Goth - anti-synergic for sad genre, fan and joy flow miss to hit the aim.

In total, we have cans that can make the first vivid impression, “wow-factor”. And then hold it securely – due to the fact that the cans are certainly top level cans, the special effects embedded in them do not give the impression of cheap, there is something to look at for your own pleasure. Over a long distance, however, things may not work out so good for Thekk's benefit. For example, Fostex 900, I, after listening to their sweet voices, finally sold without much regret. And in this sense, the higher price of more balanced, neutral, calm and honest Thror looks understandable. Odin really look simpler than Thekk, at least the resolution of the highs and bass in the first place - clearly on the side of Thekk. And if Thekk and Odin are relatives, they are more likely cousins or even second cousins.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #3,307 of 10,023
Thanks you Pavel for this detailed comparison of the Kennerton Thekk versus the Odin mk2 and the Thror, for listening to Metal music.:)

These three Kennerton headphones deserve your attention, especially for the very qualitative listening of the different genres of Metal music.

Personally, I have only kept at home two of these three Kennerton planar headphones, the Thror and the Thekk, and I can tell you that I find it difficult to decide between them, despite their distinct character, especially when listening to the symphonic Metal genre, as reported in my previous posts.
I would live perfectly happy with one of these two great headphones, and even with only the Odin, if I hadn't known the two others.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #3,308 of 10,023
Personally, I have only kept at home two of these three Kennerton planar headphones, the Thror and the Thekk, and I can tell you that I find it difficult to decide between them, despite their distinct character, especially when listening to the symphonic Metal genre, as reported in my previous posts.
I would live perfectly happy with one of these two great headphones, and even with only the Odin, if I hadn't known the two others.
Hi, Eric!
I totally agree. Actually, I had long periods of time when Odin and later Thror were 90% of time of home headphones listening. The same story with Fostex 900, and that time I think I would be happy to subtitute them with Thekk (they are clearly better piece of headphones). And if I stay in audiophile remission state Thror would be main headphones for some years for sure. But audiophiliac virus calls to try something new - and here I am, on a road again )

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #3,309 of 10,023
Just found this video on resonant frequency and tuning crazy !!! - reminded me of my modded GH50 Gjallarhorn for one second and then I was like no... this is much much much more intense ...

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #3,310 of 10,023
Hey guys,

Has anyone tried a Thror or Threkk with a Bottlehead Crack?

I am aware these amps work best with high impedance headphones.

Cheers

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #3,311 of 10,023
Hey guys,

Has anyone tried a Thror or Threkk with a Bottlehead Crack?

I am aware these amps work best with high impedance headphones Cheers

I have Bottlehead Crack w/sb and tried Magni and Gjallahorn and Wodan - none sounded like a match for Crack which mates well with high impedance headphones (over 150 ohms or best at 300 ohms)

" I want to use my Crack with low impedance headphones, why is this bad?

There are several reasons for this. The first one is that the CR filter formed at the output with the 100uF capacitor and the low impedance headphones will result in a frequency response that is not all that optimal. For 32 Ohm headphones, you'll be down 3dB at 50Hz.

The second reason is that the output stage of the Crack is a current amplifier, and Ohm's law tells us that Power=(Current2)*Resistance. When resistance goes down, power also goes down. While this may not be that big of a deal for a sensitive headphone that is low impedance, it is a big problem for power hungry headphones that are also low impedance.

The last reason that comes to mind is that the output impedance of the Crack is not sufficiently low to drive low impedance headphones with good damping and distortion performance. This can be circumvented with the implementation of a global feedback loop, but doing so tends to collapse the soundstage of the amplifier. "

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #3,312 of 10,023
I have bottlehead crack and tried Magni and Gjallahorn and Wodan - none sounded Like a match for crack which mates well with high impedance headphones Over 150 ohms or best at 300 ohms
Hey thanks for that John. I have an HD6XX anyways, but was hoping to use my Kennerton Thridi as well.

Cheers

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #3,313 of 10,023
Hey thanks for that John. I have an HD6XX anyways, but was hoping to use my Kennerton Thridi as well.

Cheers
The Sen HD6XX or Sen HD600 will work excellent with Crack - a match made in heaven as many say- I love that pairing myself so much. I was thinking about an impedance adapter for Magni or Wodan or Gjallahorn- to up the impedance at the cable end sort of like Etymotic does with ER4p/s where by making the low impedance something like 300 ohms so Crack would work well- but haven't done experimentation For any low impedance HPs(RESISTOR ADAPTER) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...&terminal_id=a915dc0b1acf4c8688f50e0a5d336972

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #3,314 of 10,023
soundnews released his gjallarhorn review

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #3,315 of 10,023
The Sen HD6XX or Sen HD600 will work excellent with Crack - a match made in heaven as many say- I love that pairing myself so much. I was thinking about an impedance adapter for Magni or Wodan or Gjallahorn- to up the impedance at the cable end sort of like Etymotic does with ER4p/s where by making the low impedance something like 300 ohms so Crack would work well- but haven't done experimentation For any low impedance HPs(RESISTOR ADAPTER) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...&terminal_id=a915dc0b1acf4c8688f50e0a5d336972
Wow! This makes a lot of sense. I will look for people who have tried this. I was wondering if anyone has tried something like this but most look at modding the amplifier end. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back