Kelly Clarkson...I'm impressed
Feb 5, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #61 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ella Fitzgerald, the queen of scat, one of the most innovative song interpreters of her era (let alone of all time), is remembered for her many qualities. Kelly Clarkson is a derivative, studio-enhanced television star. Anything more is to entirely bastardize the lives, careers, and contributions of real vocalists who've graced us with their beautiful and important music.

Yeah sure, maybe to you and a small minority that is. Many people just don't give a crap and want mcdonalds style music that simply 'satisfies' a primal human desire, nothing more.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #62 of 107
BTW, the "remembered in 30 years" thing has to be qualified?

For:

1) Beautiful music. Ella's got it, Kelly? Jury's out. I swear. Give her some time. C'mon. Even Ella started with a bit of Tisket-a-tasket you know!

2) Important music. Ella's got it. Hmm, cole porter songbooks. Bob Dylan? Horrible voice, important music. He'll be remembered in 30 years too (already has!) Kelly? Well, not too important yet. Britney Spears? Thought she had a run going, kinda fizzled, but will be remembered for the Bubblegum pop era like the Ronettes (imho!) who are very well respected these days - while they were just bobby-soxers back then.

Madonna? Not really beautiful music. Ok, I think "Rain" is kinda beautiful. Important? Not for the music, but she's important as a popular cultural figure. Remembered in 30 years? Hell yes.

It's kind of unfair to expect both beautiful and important music that lasts 30 years from a vocalist and all others can be kicked to the curb. I love Jeff Buckley, but his career was so damn short that his beautiful important music may not survive the 30 year test, to our great collective shame. There's all sorts of combos to what makes a great vocalist great, but just because one basket has certain types/numbers of eggs doesn't mean a different basket can't rock out. Some teen out there is listening to Kelly Clarkson right now and when he/she grows up is going to write for Rolling Stone about how important American Idol/TRL was for his/her generation, just like American Bandstand was for the previous (or for some unfortunate souls, "Solid Gold").

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #63 of 107
Kelly doesn't impress me, vocally.. but at least she's eeeeeasy on the eyes! I'd take her home after a couple of beers!
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #64 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah sure, maybe to you and a small minority that is. Many people just don't give a crap and want mcdonalds style music that simply 'satisfies' a primal human desire, nothing more.

Many people do want McDonald's style music, but that does not mean that it is any case for applause. Anyway, I don't understand what exactly it is people are arguing with Aman. He doesn't think Clarkson's voice is anything special; what is wrong with that opinion?

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #65 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people do want McDonald's style music, but that does not mean that it is any case for applause. Anyway, I don't understand what exactly it is people are arguing with Aman. He doesn't think Clarkson's voice is anything special; what is wrong with that opinion?

nothing's wrong with it, just like nothing's wrong with other people's opinions here that Kelly does have a special voice. we have to be respectful of both views (but not agree with both of course!)

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #67 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing's wrong with it, just like nothing's wrong with other people's opinions here that Kelly does have a special voice. we have to be respectful of both views (but not agree with both of course!)

I agree however I will ADD
evil_smiley.gif

If someone, anyone can do something much better than I can they are considered talented IMO!

It's that Simple. So Aman record any Kelly Clarkson song with YOU singing and send it in!

Maybe you have talent!

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #68 of 107
It's not always about talent... Sometimes it's just about being at the right place at the right time, or just the "look"..or how well you're talented in *ahem* OTHER areas *cough* casting couch *cough*

IMO (AND MY OPINION) Britney Spears is talentless.. but hey, she had a record deal made some videos, kissed madonna even gave us a beaver shot once or twice! But that doesn't equate to talent in IMO (once again),.. Paris Hilton = NO TALENT, but she has an album out there... What it boils down to is to each his own, but I would have to agree that Aman is infinite in his wisdom by declaring Kelly Clarkson talentless... it's true!
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #69 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's that Simple. So Aman record any Kelly Clarkson song with YOU singing and send it in!

Maybe you have talent!

I don't think that's entirely fair.

People constantly criticize things that they themselves probably wouldn't be able to perform with any degree of proficiency. Whether it's movies, music, books, food, haircuts, sports, or what have you. I'm sure you've walked out of a theater at some point in your life and said, "Damn, that movie was horrible! How in the world did that moron become a producer!?"

Books are another common example. People always like to claim how certain authors can't write to save their lives. Boy, I'd like to see those people write a single chapter that manages to keep my attention for over five minutes.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #71 of 107
NOW THAT'S TALENT!
biggrin.gif
She probably couldn't sing her way out of a wet paper bag, but do you think I would care as a record producer!? Hell no! Computer enhance voice and all!

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #72 of 107
BAH! Don't you know that Head-Fi's Pop Idol is Mandy Moore?
Mandy-Moore-Mandy-Moore-211346.jpg

Complete with elitist japanese obi strip!

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #73 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not always about talent... Sometimes it's just about being at the right place at the right time, or just the "look"..or how well you're talented in *ahem* OTHER areas *cough* casting couch *cough*

IMO (AND MY OPINION) Britney Spears is talentless.. but hey, she had a record deal made some videos, kissed madonna even gave us a beaver shot once or twice! But that doesn't equate to talent in IMO (once again),.. Paris Hilton = NO TALENT, but she has an album out there... What it boils down to is to each his own, but I would have to agree that Aman is infinite in his wisdom by declaring Kelly Clarkson talentless... it's true!
wink.gif

EEEENNNNNN!! WRONG AGAIN! Britney may not have singing talent but she is talented. She is a performer much like Madonna. No great voice but puts on a great show.

And Paris! We all know what she is talented at!!! LOL!!

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #74 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EEEENNNNNN!! WRONG AGAIN! Britney may not have singing talent but she is talented. She is a performer much like Madonna. No great voice but puts on a great show.

And Paris! We all know what she is talented at!!! LOL!!

Britney (and Madonna for that matter) can't sing, can't dance... ummm.. what else.. Well, I think that's enough to say no talent! Bahaha!!

I just wish Madonna (and some others i.e. puff daddy, p. diddy or whatever he's calling himself today) would board that boat to sail the @@#$ away from us forever! <-- Was that too harsh?

Add: oh yeah, the others include K-fed, justin timberlake, etc.. well you get the point...
wink.gif

Add 2: 99.9% of hip-hop artists (oxymoron); Nsync; backstreet boys...etc...
(this list is growing!)

Add 3: Kenny G (needs to be smacked with his soprano sax); modern day michael jackson (well I think he already boarded that boat)....

Add 4: Anyone who's ever appeared on American Idol (Clay, Reuben,Tyler,etc.... )

hell, let's keep it simple: Anyone besides Coltrane, Monk, Parker,Davis, Bach, Beethoven,Mozart, St.Georges, Scott Lafaro, Eddie Gomez, and Bill Evans EQUAL NO TALENT!
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #75 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Britney (and Madonna for that matter) can't sing, can't dance... ummm.. what else.. Well, I think that's enough to say no talent! Bahaha!!

I just wish Madonna (and some others i.e. puff daddy, p. diddy or whatever he's calling himself today) would board that boat to sail the @@#$ away from us forever! <-- Was that too harsh?

Add: oh yeah, the others include K-fed, justin timberlake, etc.. well you get the point...
wink.gif

Morph I like to see you dance around on stage and (lip sync) or sing for 2 and half hours under hot lights in front of thousands of people and be entertaining.

It does take talent! look up the word!

the potential or factual ability to perform a skill better than most people.

She has a talent to sing.
Also used jocularly, as: He has a talent for getting into trouble.[/bold]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back